Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 08-15-2002, 07:10 PM

Default Bank changes via midi

Hello,

I am trying to change the banks on my Eventide GTR4000. I know how to get the patches listed in the Program change window, but I don't know how to change the banks. The window has 128 patch numbers but the eventide only has 7 or 8 patches in each bank. This makes it really odd to only have 7 patches because I have to change banks constantly( if I new how). Does anyone know how I put the banks in so they appear in the top right corner of the program change window, and am I stuck with 7 or 8 patches in each bank with 50 banks. The last guitar processor I had was a Digitech 2112 and all of the patches ran in order( in one bank). This made it very easy to change them. This Eventide kills the sh** out of the digitech but the patch changes seem to be a little odd. Please someone give me some advice on how to approach this.

thanks
tony [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 08-16-2002, 06:31 AM
Avid

Default Re: Bank changes via midi

Quote:
Originally posted by studiotony 001:
Does anyone know how I put the banks in so they appear in the top right corner of the program change window, and am I stuck with 7 or 8 patches in each bank with 50 banks.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">-This question would best be answered by Eventide: either in the MIDI Implementation section of your manual or by calling them and asking.

-If it turns out that they do have 8 patches per bank, then you will have to start utilizing a lot of Bank Change messages to get to the desired patch.

Brent
Old 08-16-2002, 11:15 AM

Hello,

Thanks for getting back with me on this. I was not clear enough in my question. The program change window I was referring to is in the digi software. I am under the OMS names section of the software. Now that I go back and read my first post, it does seem that I was asking about how to do it on the eventide. I know how to change them on the eventide. I wanted to know how to change them from PT via midi. I have been able to enter custom names for the patches into the program change window (in PT), and I also can get the patches to change( on the eventide)via midi. My problem is that I cant get the banks to change. I want to send a midi message to the eventide from PT and have the patches and banks change. I hope I am asking my question a little better than last time.

* I want to be able to look at all of the patches and banks on the computer screen(in PT)and change the patches with the mouse.The eventide would respond to the midi message and call up the patch that I asked for. I am pretty sure that this can be done. I have gotten to the point that I can call up the patches but not the banks. I tried the "control 0" and the "control 32" , but neither seem to work. There is a third way to do it( I think) so that custom bank names can be entered in PT. They PT manual says they will show up in the top right corner of the Program change window in PT. I cant figure out how to enter these custom bank names into PT. Help if you can, I hope I made the question a little clearer. thanks

tony
Old 08-16-2002, 11:19 AM

-If it turns out that they do have 8 patches per bank, then you will have to start utilizing a lot of Bank Change messages to get to the desired patch.

How do I do this?

thanks
tony
Old 08-16-2002, 01:28 PM

Roland has a similar weird way of using "banks". With Roland units, you don't have to use a bank change command just to get from patch A1 to C7, for instance. They're all just sequencially numbered from 1-128 (or 0-127).

Try inserting a couple of patch changes like 4 and then try 62 and see if it changes "banks" in the Eventide. Simple experiment that will only take a minute or two.

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 08-16-2002, 02:00 PM

The first bank has 7 patches in it. The patches work until I get to 8(8 being the first patch of bank 2). Anything after 7 just puts it on the last patch of the first bank( 7 ). If you look in the PT manual on page 304, the top left corner shows what I think I am looking for. I just cant figure out how to enter the different banks names. Once I enter the bank names I believe that this box will show up. There is also a PDF that is on the PT disk that is called "OMS Name Manager".It is about 40 pages long and I am on about 20 or so. It starts dealing with modes. I know about patches,banks,control 0, control 32,but I have never heard of modes when it comes to midi patch/bank changes. The only modes I know are guitar modes. Well, I gave your tip a shot and these are the results I got. Thanks for trying to help. If you come up with anymore ideas please let me know.

thanks a ton,
Tony
G4 867
1.5 Ram
OS9
PT 5.1
Old 08-16-2002, 02:15 PM

For what it is worth, if I manualy change the banks on the eventide(with the eventide knob), then hit the patch changes in PT then the patches change on the eventide in that bank. Say I put the eventide on bank 5 and then make a patch change in PT, then the patches will change in that bank on the eventide. I just cant change the banks from PT.

tony
Old 08-16-2002, 02:55 PM

I have a roland groovebox, and to get the right bank/patch you also have to use cc0 (continuous controller) messages. The info on how to use this should be in the eventide manual.

Bastiaan
Old 08-16-2002, 03:40 PM

Hi Tony,

This sounds very similar to the Lexicon MPX 500... each effect category is assigned a bank name, and each bank contains a handful of effects. This works extremely well by keeping the effects grouped logically, rather than resorting to a mixed bag of effects within a single bank.

First of all, you must look at the unit's MIDI implementation chart (in the manual) for the specific bank change numbers that relate to each bank.

There should be one or two numbers per bank change which are labeled as follows:

Either "MSB" or "Controller 0"

and

"LSB" or "Controller 32"

In the Pro Tools program change window, you'll see the "Controller 0" and "Controller 32" fields. This is where you can manually enter the MSB/LSB values appropriate for the bank you wish to access, followed by the patch number (0-127)

However, it becomes far more user friendly once the patch/effect and bank names are displayed in Pro Tools. Basically, once it's set up properly, you can access the effects by first selecting the category from the drop-down Bank menu in the top right-hand side of the program change window, and then select the effect you want from the list of patch names

You start by creating an OMS Patch Name document for your effects unit. This is produced via OMS Names (from the "Setups" menu in Pro Tools, or the standalone application on your PT disc or from Digi support's "downloads" section).

Please refer to my posts here , and in particular, the link to the Hints section for my Creating OMS Patch Name Documents QuickGuide PDF from the OMS Names site.

It's going to be a long road in setting it up properly, but it'll be well worth it once you get there.

You may even like to download my MPX 500 document from the site, subscribe to it OMS Names, just so you can see how it appears in both OMS Names and the Pro Tools program change window.

Feel free to post back if you get stuck.

Phil
Old 08-16-2002, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by studiotony 001:
It starts dealing with modes. I know about patches,banks,control 0, control 32,but I have never heard of modes when it comes to midi patch/bank changes. The only modes I know are guitar modes.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Oh, and don't worry about modes. These are simply used to generate multiple preset lists related to the same MIDI device. That is, each mode reveals a different list of patches, and not necessarily a single patch list spanning several banks.

Modes can be used, for example, to store a substantial library consisting of several preset banks in cases where not all banks may be loaded into the synth at any one time, or in cases where one needs to auto-switch the patch lists from 'instruments' to 'drumkits' everytime you trigger on MIDI ch.10 (ie. often the default rhythm channel).

I don't expect you'll have any need to use modes for you effects unit.

Phil