Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 02-06-2015, 11:35 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 10.3.10 and Yosemite

There you go. If you have a track with two different drums sounds and separate cymbal overdubs, just to name one scenario, you're closing in on the 64 track limit once you add some gtrs, keys and voc's already. Sorry to hijack this thread but I'm just stressing the fact that 10 and consequently TDM support is still very relevant to today's pro market. Most of us that are producing full on records from start to finish are still using TDM systems because HDX systems just don't cut the mustard with the lack of 3rd party plugin support and Native systems jus don't have the full on juice that we need to get our jobs done. I can personally attest to this because I have an HDX system and it sits in the closet because I can't use it to get the job at hand done.
Old 02-06-2015, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innesireinar View Post
I no longer have a ML partition on my mac. Has anyone already tried 10.3.10 on mav with the old HD accel sys?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
Yes. It works fine.
Did you hack the installer package to get it to install? Or is that not an issue with the new PT10 revision?

QAPLA!
Old 02-06-2015, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
No, I have HDN so my max track count is 64
HD Native track count limit is 256 no? Or are you talking I/O limit?
Old 02-06-2015, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Did you hack the installer package to get it to install? Or is that not an issue with the new PT10 revision?
just by running the installer, all worked fine, but I'm talking about mav, not yose.
Old 02-06-2015, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
On the Yosemite test machine I temporarily changed the OS version but on the Mav machine(s) the installer worked without needing any tweaking.
Old 02-06-2015, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21 Junipers View Post
HD Native track count limit is 256 no? Or are you talking I/O limit?
Yes, sorry about that. I'm a live guy mostly, so I think about consoles first :) but with that said, I have no problem tracking all of it at once.
Old 02-07-2015, 07:11 AM

So you don't make records from start to finish. You do live recording. That's great but that has totally different requirements and is quite different from making records from start to finish. Let's get the facts straight here and let's try not to mislead people about something that is extremely important to some of us.
Old 02-07-2015, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WernerF View Post
So you don't make records from start to finish. You do live recording. That's great but that has totally different requirements and is quite different from making records from start to finish. Let's get the facts straight here and let's try not to mislead people about something that is extremely important to some of us.
Yes I do. In fact I have an unfinished project on my task list, but I'm not yet satisfied with the results. I know both sides, but I do more FOH mixing than album mixing. When I respond in a hurry, my FOH side of brain comes first...

And for what it's worth, I've done about a hundred live recordings of about 60 min live shows (3-6 video tracks + 32-64 audio tracks) so that's why I find it pretty important to get things stable and reliable. I usually have only one shot to get it right. After the successful take, I edit/mix it and produce a master to TV.

Not bragging, just straightening the point of view.
Old 02-07-2015, 08:01 AM

Stable and reliable is one thing and it is, for sure, important. It is, however not what we are talking about. We are talking about what is required for making full on records from start to finish that managers, labels and artists can use to promote their careers. These records need to get airplay and need to drive people to the love shows. A lot goes into making a product that is compelling enough to meet those requirements. A record is more of a sales tool these days but it still needs to be great to get the job done. The technical requirements for making a record to get this job done are really quite important.
Old 02-07-2015, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WernerF View Post
Stable and reliable is one thing and it is, for sure, important. It is, however not what we are talking about. We are talking about what is required for making full on records from start to finish that managers, labels and artists can use to promote their careers. These records need to get airplay and need to drive people to the love shows. A lot goes into making a product that is compelling enough to meet those requirements. A record is more of a sales tool these days but it still needs to be great to get the job done. The technical requirements for making a record to get this job done are really quite important.
Doesn't all of that go without saying?