How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2011, 10:56 AM

Default DAE Error (-9073)

Hi,

I have recently installed PT10 and i keep getting the following message coming up during recording -

DAE can't get audio from the drive(s) fast enough. Your drive maybe too slow or fragmented or a firewire drive could be having trouble due to the extra firewire bandwidth or CPU load. (-9073).

I have recently formatted by "audio" drive and also defragged it. I am running windows 7 64bit and i have an Mbox 2.

All i am trying to do is record a simple guitar part - no other tracks, just a single audio track recording a guitar. I have downloaded the latest drivers for the Mbox.

I am currently running a Sandra Report, however in the meantime the basics of my PC are -

Intel Core 2 QUAD CPU Q9450 @ 2.66GHz
4GB RAM
Main HD where PT10 is installed is 233GB (173GB Free)
Audio drive 74.4GB (66GB Free)

Any help or suggestions as to what might be wrong would be greatfully recieved.

Many thanks

Ben
Old 12-22-2011, 11:33 AM

Default Re: DAE Error (-9073)

What is the speed and cache size of the audio drive? And, USB, F/W, eSATA or what?

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 12-22-2011, 11:38 AM

Hi Tom,

The audio drive is an IDE drive rather than an external drive.

I'm not sure how i find out the info you asked for.

Ben
Old 12-25-2011, 08:44 AM

Ben i had this problem too, dont record anything on your external hard drive. record everything onto your computers HD... then when your project is finished you can transfer the whole file to an external as your back up.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:18 AM

Same problem here.. running SATA II HDs.. 7200 rpm. and keep getting 9073 error... running audio on separate drive from OS.. and defragged.. changed all the buffers sizes.. nothing seems to work..

I run Cubase 6 on the same computer NO problems with disk speed.. Sonar X1 as well NO disk speed errors.. only PT10. bummer.

running Win 7 64. 16 gi
g DDR3. SDD Os drive.. with all audio recording on 4 separate 7200 RPM drives..

oh yeah.. Firewire connection is a Tascam DM4800 mkII fw card.
again, i get not even a hick up with 80 plus tracks. with Cubase or Sonar.

please help.. sounds like from what i've read PT has a Bug with disk errors..

peace.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:04 PM

"dont record anything on your external hard drive. record everything onto your computers HD..."
With all due respect, if this worked for you, you just got plain lucky. Pro Tools has NEVER reliably recorded to the system drive. Attempting to do so is probably the number one cause of buffer errors reported here. SO. If it isn't working recording to your dedicated audio drive, the drive might not be up to the task. It needs to be 7200 rpm (5400's don't have sufficient throughput). Western Digital BLACK drives work extremely well, but the green drives don't work well at all. Are all your drives formatted NTFS? FAT32 formatting is strongly warned against.
Hope this helps!
Old 12-27-2011, 01:06 PM

all of MY drives are WD 7200 rpm drives... (not green) as mentioned i don't get any disk issues on same system running Cubase or Sonar x1..

Plus the Audio drives are separate drives.. NOT os system disks.. this one has got me stumped.. I did order a 10K rpm WD disk.. should be here tomorrow.. this better work..

BTW the disks are formatted for NTFS

thanks..
Old 01-03-2012, 11:42 PM

Can anybody from tech support chime in pls? I've been getting these -9073 ever since I've installed PTHD 10 as well. I'm using a SCSI system with 10K drives & I've never seen this with PTHD 7 & 8. I'll get that slow drive message, even when I'm not playing back any recorded audio. I'm just using VI's with Vienna Ensemble. I'm up to 8 gigs cache & still getting these messages. I don't suppose there's anyway to shut off disk cache?
Dan
Old 01-04-2012, 08:41 PM

To Whom It May Concern,
I recently began using Pro Tools (v. 10) and started having problems with "DAE error message 9073" as well. I went looking for answers and came across quite a few forums that all dealt with this issue. None of the easy fixes worked, and I currently can't afford to upgrade my hardware. I think I may have found an alternative fix for this. This error wasn't a HUGE problem, since it merely stopped playback, just an annoyance. Well, things got complicated when I tried bouncing to disc because; my session would start to play when I began to render it out, but shortly thereafter, this error message would appear, stopping the render. Try it again, same thing... again, same thing... vicious cycle. My computer certainly doesn't have stellar specs or anything (it's an HP Pavillion p6110y) and I hadn't defrag-ed in some time, but here's how I was able to solve this problem. First, select ALL of the tracks that you want to bounce (Shift-click for contiguous selections, Ctrl-click for individual selections). Now, you need to archive a copy of your session by; Going to, File--> "Save Copy In". When the "Save Session Copy" window comes up, make SURE that you ONLY select the "Selected Tracks Only" option in the "Items To Copy" section -- this should be the only option there that is selected (there's no need to make any other changes... unless you want a different sample rate or something. If so, now's your time to do it). Continue on to naming and choosing where to save it, and then save. Now, open the session that you just saved, hit Alt+O (that's Option+O for Mac), and this will bring up the Project Browser. Open up the "Audio File" folder and this will bring up all the clips in your session (this whole process isolates JUST the clips you want, so that, you're not having to deal with all of the redundancy so often found in the Clip List). Simply select all of the clips (Shift-click the top and then the bottom clips), and in the top right-hand corner, there should be a drop-down menu that contains the option to "Copy and Relink". Just click this, choose where to copy the files, and you should be good to go (be aware that it may take a few minutes for the files to do this). This copies all of the files into one location, making it easier for your computer to access, or "grab" them. I hope that this helps, and if it does, just remember to pass it on. Note: this will mean that there's going to be multiple copies of those files on your drives, so you may want to go through and delete one of the copies at some point...
Old 01-18-2012, 12:58 PM

Hi,

Did the 10k rpm drive work? I'm plagued with 9073 errors.

Thanks.