Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)

Old 01-01-2009, 10:37 PM

Default Digi Audio Drivers Return Error During Install

Hi:
Problems installing PT8 HD

I've done a complete uninstall of PT7.4 including all drivers. When I do the PT 8 install from DVD, when it gets to the part where it installs the Hardware drivers, I get an error message

Digidesign Audio Drivers Returned an Error
Error: -2147213312

The install completes if I check OK in the error dialog box but PT8 won't startup because it can't find the HD cards in my PC (Windows XP Pro). I also continue to get the Found New Multimedia Hardware window when I boot up.

I looked on my hard drive and there is no Drivers subdirectory anywhere. I have the old 7.4 drivers directory but assume that I should not be using the old drivers with PT8. Is there anywhere I can either download the PT 8 install files and try with that or otherwise download the Drivers for my HD Core and Accel cards?

Help?

Running XP Pro SP3 with the following Quad system (which worked perfectly with my PT HD 7.4 system. I also have an HD Core card and one Acel card.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:23 AM

Default Re: Digi Audio Drivers Return Error During Install

Did you try to install the drivers manually?

When it says found multimedia drivers, point the installer (click "have disk") to the program files/digidesign/drivers folder.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:44 AM

Did you download the PT8 installation files before burning them to DVD?

If so, this error may occur if the installation files were not extracted properly. After downloading the PT8 software, use WinZip to extract the files (I've seen older versions of WinRAR cause issues). There should be subfolders for the Creative Collection (Boom, MiniGrand, etc...). Note: If there are no subfolders, these files did not extract correctly, and this error will occur.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
www.voodoopilot.com
Old 01-02-2009, 06:18 PM

I bought a boxed copy so did not download any files. Working from a Digidesign DVD with PT 8 Installers on it.

Can't find any drivers on the DVD and it doesn't match what the installation instructions says in any case.

To top it off, in the install booklet, it says to remove previous versions of PT before doing the install (which I did using the Uninstall program on the Digi DVD) OR it says after installing the upgrade, uninstall ProTools. What is up with that?

I'm back to 7.4 until I can speak to or hear from someone at Digidesign. Should have known to steer clear of 1.0 version....
Old 01-02-2009, 09:01 PM

OK, I got PT 8 installed and did a manual lookup to point to the 7.4 drivers I had saved. It seemed to work and I was able to do a mixing session with no problems. Digi....is this OK or do I NEED PT 8 audio drivers for my HD Core and Accel cards?
Old 01-02-2009, 11:45 PM

Hi markus44uk,
Quick question,
Do you have a kensington trackball by any chance? Mouseworks software?
Thanks,
Brandon
Old 01-03-2009, 04:22 PM

Yes I have a Kensington trackball model k64325 and I am using mouseworks version 6.2.2

why?

By the way, I am now unable to open or close PT8 without access violations....I am screwed till I can get these hardware drivers sorted out.

Digi?
Old 01-03-2009, 07:53 PM

hey markus as the other poster (Brandon) kinda mentioned it. i think i may have read something about the kingston stuff giving problems in the read me. i'm nowhere near my protools computer or pt docs but maybe something to look into
Old 01-04-2009, 11:22 AM

I will uninstall the Mouseware but the bigger question remains unanswered. WHen I install PT 8 from the DVD, it says to disconnect my PT hardware....does this mean I should remove the Core and Accel cards from the PC? That seems to be the main issue here...an inability for the PT installer to correctly install the audio and hardware drivers....
Old 01-04-2009, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x9blade View Post
hey markus as the other poster (Brandon) kinda mentioned it. i think i may have read something about the kingston stuff giving problems in the read me. i'm nowhere near my protools computer or pt docs but maybe something to look into
Kensington Mouseworks needs to be uninstalled to even install PT 8. Also, if you install Mouseworks afterward, you'll probably get the infamous playback problem. If you uninstall Mouseworks, the playback problem will be gone.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit