Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)

Old 04-21-2005, 02:01 AM

Default Is This Possible?

Is there a possibility, to many plug-ins on a session will Unexpectedly Quit Pro Tools upon start-up? I have a session with 32 tracks, about 12 or so P-ins. Buffer is set to 1024. All this running on a G4 Dual 1, 1.5G ram.

Also, how much of a boost will a G5 Dual 2.5 make next to my aging G4 D-1?

Thanks.
Old 04-21-2005, 07:12 AM

Default Re: Is This Possible?

Quote:
Is there a possibility, to many plug-ins on a session will Unexpectedly Quit Pro Tools upon start-up? I have a session with 32 tracks, about 12 or so P-ins. Buffer is set to 1024. All this running on a G4 Dual 1, 1.5G ram.

Also, how much of a boost will a G5 Dual 2.5 make next to my aging G4 D-1?

Thanks.
You'll love the G5. It's apples and oranges.

RB
Old 04-21-2005, 07:25 AM

A G5 D2.5 will make a huge difference. It would be really hard to get it to flinch if you get a good memory upgrade with it. You'll have no problem. Get at least a gig of ram and you'll not only be glad you made the change, but you'll feel better about yourself too!

As far as the crash on startup, it could be the problem. It could be many things. It would have told you about a plug-in problem when you had the session open last. What kind of plugins are you using. Try getting in the habit of keeping your CPU usage window open, this will stop these problems. You can find the window in "DISPLAY/ Display system usage". Will PT open a new session or a smaller version?
Old 04-21-2005, 07:02 PM

Quote:
A G5 D2.5 will make a huge difference. It would be really hard to get it to flinch if you get a good memory upgrade with it. You'll have no problem. Get at least a gig of ram and you'll not only be glad you made the change, but you'll feel better about yourself too!

As far as the crash on startup, it could be the problem. It could be many things. It would have told you about a plug-in problem when you had the session open last. What kind of plugins are you using. Try getting in the habit of keeping your CPU usage window open, this will stop these problems. You can find the window in "DISPLAY/ Display system usage". Will PT open a new session or a smaller version?
Thanks for the up regarding a G5. I feel this will be the next purchase towards a more stable system.

Well I'll start by disabling plug-ins and go from there. It could be various issues but all other sessions open up properly. I've also become accustom to displaying the CPU usage window open and "when" the file does open up, it's only idling at about 1/3 to 1/2 of the way.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:41 AM
Avid

The 'Unexpectedly Quit' error message is usually related to a corrupt database or preference.

Please follow the 'General Troubleshooting' steps in the sticky at the top of the Digi002/Mac forum, specifically the areas on trashing your database and preference files. This should resolve the problem.

As an aside - using 'unauthorized' plug-ins can definitely cause the Unexpectedly Quit error message - the only solution is to remove those plug-ins from your system.
Old 04-21-2005, 07:07 PM

Quote:
The 'Unexpectedly Quit' error message is usually related to a corrupt database or preference.

Please follow the 'General Troubleshooting' steps in the sticky at the top of the Digi002/Mac forum, specifically the areas on trashing your database and preference files. This should resolve the problem.

As an aside - using 'unauthorized' plug-ins can definitely cause the Unexpectedly Quit error message - the only solution is to remove those plug-ins from your system.
As a 20 year veteran of these DAW's, my first impression would be to follow the "General Troubleshooting" guidelines so I appreciate the tidbit. Other than your basic PT bundled plug-ins, I have a few downloaded trial versions of which I'm testing. Let me see if these are the culprits.

Thanks for the info...