Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 05-28-2020, 04:24 AM

Default Educational Upgrade/Update Plan vs Subscription

Hello there,

I'm eligible for educational discount. I have the perpetual version of Pro Tools and the update plan is just about to run out.

I can't decide if I should
a) hop on subscription (because it's a bit cheaper at the moment than update plan) and go with an upgrade plan just before I graduate (perpetual license remains untouched)
b) do not renew update plan and just buy an upgrade plan for about 99€ when there's an update that I really want
c) just go with update plan renewals

Is HEAT and Avid Complete Plugin Bundle included with the educational subscription?

Any advice would be much appreciated!
Thanks,
Julius
Old 05-28-2020, 04:39 AM

Default Re: Educational Upgrade/Update Plan vs Subscription

Heat and the plugin package are included if you go the sub route But don’t do what my friend did which is he accidentally clicked on the cross grade option for $99. That option effectively surrenders your perpetual license and you are stuck paying avid $99 a year perpetually or you lose ProTools. Good deal for them terrible deal for you.

We learned this because all of a sudden he had heat and the plug-ins so I called AVID and figured it out. Had to call him last night to break the bad news he wasn’t thrilled.
Old 05-28-2020, 04:58 AM

Default Re: Educational Upgrade/Update Plan vs Subscription

Cool, thanks. Avid's Shop is not really clear whether the HEAT/Plugin Bundle is included or not.

Yes, trading in my perpetual is exactly what I don't want to do. haha
I don't mind subscription models when they are reasonable but the crossgrade is not a good option in my opinion.

Hope could you solve the issue with Avid ...