Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 08-13-2007, 11:32 AM

Default Making keyboard Piano samples sound real

Greetings,

Thanks in advance for your time and opinions.

My mission is to learn how to make keyboard piano samples sound more like a real piano. Using my Kurzweil K2661 and selecting any of the available piano samples/patches I will connect both R&L outputs to my 002 and record a part. I will treat the recorded audio with short delays (40ms or less) and verb to give it a sense of space. Apply EQ to get the desired tone. But....still not happy with the resulting sound through my 824's.

I have other keyboards. Tried them all. Tried all of their piano patches. It seems as though many patches sound good in the lower register but, after ascending beyond C3 things start to get noticable harsher especially around the F and G above C3 on all the keyboards. Anyone ever notice that?

I listen to other commercial CD's and hear nice sounding piano tracks. Don't know if they are real piano or not.

So.........any helpful hints on how to get rid of that harsh sounding upper mid range and to make a piano patch sound more like a real piano???

Ping
Old 08-13-2007, 12:57 PM

Default Re: Making keyboard Piano samples sound real

Hey, Ping Pong (I actually wrote a recorder piece by that name),

Welcome to the wild and wooly world of dollars and opinion!

Some will tell you that the Kurz is the best thing since sliced bread, others will tell you that a dedicated sampler is the only real approximation (interesting term), and that with/among them, library (A) way is better than library (B).

C'mon, fellas, jump on in ....

(This should be interesting)
PT 2018; Nuendo 8.?; Studio One 3; former Sonar and Sequoia user .... GENELEC 1031A, AVANTONE MIX CUBES (Active); Sibelius 7.0; Dorico; Mac Mini 2.6 GHz Core i7, OS X 10.12.2 Sierra; 16GB RAM; 480 GB System SSD; 1 TB 7200 rpm Audio; 3 TB samples; Roland A-800 Pro controller; GOOD BYE PEE SEA!!