Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2003, 01:03 AM

Default Connecting Behringer ADA8000 to 002 Rack problem

I recently bought the Protools Digi002 Rack, and the Behringer ADA8000 ADA converter. Im having a lot of trouble getting Protools to recogonize it. I've tried multiple optical cables and everything I could possibly think of. I'm quite sure that the master and slave settings, and the bit rates are correct ... but when I attempt to change the Sync Clock, from Internal to ADAT, Protools 6.1 LE stops me, vaguely saying there is a failure. Anybody have any suggestions?
What Im getting if I activate tracks 9 - 16 is a bunch of digital noise.
Thanks.
COry
Old 10-21-2003, 01:41 AM

Default Re: Connecting Behringer ADA8000 to 002 Rack probl

Hum.....

Make sure your digital type is set to ADAT...hum...

Match sample rates...

Set Digi clock to external (of course this is where you're having problems.)

Make sure the setting match what's on your Behringer.

Double check your cabling. (out to in and so forth)

Check the end of your lightpipe cable thats going into the digi, make sure you see a red light at its end.

Thats the short of it. There is a good changce your Behringer was DOA too... anyway you can check your unit in a retail store like guitar center or in a local studio? I've had Behringer gear arive DOA, and a friend of mine just had a lightpipe on his Presonus arive DOA as well. They're apparently kinda fragile (ADAT lightpipes).

Old 10-21-2003, 01:44 AM

Default Re: Connecting Behringer ADA8000 to 002 Rack problem

What are you using the ADA8000 for?
Old 10-21-2003, 05:34 AM

Default Re: Connecting Behringer ADA8000 to 002 Rack probl

there's nother thread about this product(I forget which forum) that tells the woes of many who bought one onlyt tohave them not work, replacing them, again not working. this is pretty typical Behringer, their stuff is 4th rate crap IMHO. save your money for something that not only works but will work well. this same post had users that did finally get a working unit, and found the 001 preamps converters to be just as good or better.
Old 10-21-2003, 06:45 AM

Thanks .. Still trying to get it to work .. IM using the ADA8000 to exand my digi002 so it has 8 additional Mic-PreAmps going into it via the ADAT input. Our friend has it working well with the DIGI001. Perhaps its the Beheringer unit itself .. But I hope not. Thanks for the suggestions so far.. anything further would be greatly appreciated.
Cory
Old 10-21-2003, 07:26 AM

If your friend who has it working well is local, try his in your setup, try yours in his setup. It would be nice to verify you have a working unit.

Old 10-21-2003, 07:39 AM

Hey,

I may be mistaken but when I was contemplating doing the hardware exchange/upgrade from my 001 to the 002/R, I posted the typical "should I upgrade" questions...pros and cons. I got a couple of replies concerning extra inputs for the 002 which was one of my main concerns. I've tried to find the posts but can not but they (the replies to my post) said that for now at least, the 002/R does NOT have the ability to utilize the Adat/Lightpipe for additional inputs as with the 001...at any sample or bit rate. I think the posts also said that the only way to get additional inputs with the 002/R was via the digital stuff (spdif, etc.) which could possibly bring it to 10 or 12 versus the 8. If this is correct, then this is why you are having difficulty with the ADA8000...the two units are not compatible. sMUX is not an option either. Anyway, if this is not correct, then I wish someone that actually knows would post a reply to finally resolve this issue. This is why I did not upgrade from my 001 to the 002.

thanks, Jim

Jim (I used to be alot younger)
Old 10-21-2003, 09:37 AM

Sorry, that's incorrect. You can definitely add inputs to the 002 and 002 Rack using the ADAT input. The limitation is that the ADAT input can't be used for anything above 48k (even though the 002 and 002R support up to 96k).
You can add 8 inputs on the ADAT ports, and two on the S/PDIF, for a total of 18, same as on the 001.

Quote:
Hey,

I may be mistaken but when I was contemplating doing the hardware exchange/upgrade from my 001 to the 002/R, I posted the typical "should I upgrade" questions...pros and cons. I got a couple of replies concerning extra inputs for the 002 which was one of my main concerns. I've tried to find the posts but can not but they (the replies to my post) said that for now at least, the 002/R does NOT have the ability to utilize the Adat/Lightpipe for additional inputs as with the 001...at any sample or bit rate. I think the posts also said that the only way to get additional inputs with the 002/R was via the digital stuff (spdif, etc.) which could possibly bring it to 10 or 12 versus the 8. If this is correct, then this is why you are having difficulty with the ADA8000...the two units are not compatible. sMUX is not an option either. Anyway, if this is not correct, then I wish someone that actually knows would post a reply to finally resolve this issue. This is why I did not upgrade from my 001 to the 002.

thanks, Jim

Old 10-21-2003, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Hey,

thanks, Jim
Don´t know where you got that idear....

Quote:
Sorry, that's incorrect. You can definitely add inputs to the 002 and 002 Rack using the ADAT input. The limitation is that the ADAT input can't be used for anything above 48k (even though the 002 and 002R support up to 96k).
You can add 8 inputs on the ADAT ports, and two on the S/PDIF, for a total of 18, same as on the 001.

This is absolutely correct, - I might ad that this 48k limitation of the ADAT i/o is a limitation of the ADAT-format/standard and has nothing to do with Digidesign. There are manufactures that has gone beond the standard and offers transferrates of upto 96k on thier units but then you only get 4 ch. pr. ADAT-input.

Euro-Sound Studio
www.euro-sound.org
Old 10-21-2003, 02:29 PM

I have the behringer ADA8000 together with a digi001.

The first one i recieved was indeed DOA (so much for ISO certification...), but the company i bought it from replaced it with a new unit. This one works great. Very easy to set up, but indeed you need to set the sync and the samplerate correctly.

IMO its a very easy to setup box. Pretty straightforward. I am aware of the trackrecord of Behringer, but decided on this one anyway, because i wanted more mic-pre's to do live-recordings. Either with PTLE, or my rusty old blackface adat.

Bastiaan