Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-25-2010, 10:28 PM

Default Midi and VI tracks.

Just curious if anyone has any ideas as to why it works this way.
If I insert a VI, say mini grand, on an instrument track, I can use the mouse to play and hear the notes. however when I try to trigger from my midi keyboard controller (Korg X3), the virtual keys on the mini grand will not move and I will not hear anything UNLESS I have the track record enabled?
Old 12-26-2010, 01:33 AM

Default Re: Midi and VI tracks.

I've found this:

If there is just a single Instrument Track, a MIDI keyboard will play Mini Grand and the virtual keys will move. Nothing else needs to be done.

If there is more than one Instrument Track, there is no need to Record Enable the track - just select (highlight) the name of the track in the Edit or Mix Window.
This can be used to select the track that the MIDI keyboard controls.

Richard
Old 12-26-2010, 05:30 AM

Exactly. You could also select a specific midi input port / chanel.

www.studiofifty.net

Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz Quad, 10.6.6, 12GB Ram, PT9, Logic 9, Kontakt, East West, VSL, Waves, Sound Toys, IK Multimedia
RME FF UC, Focusrite Octopre mkii, UA LA 610 mkii, MC Transport, Yamaha HS80M, Lauten, AKG, Sure, Blue
Old 12-26-2010, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard901 View Post
I've found this:

If there is just a single Instrument Track, a MIDI keyboard will play Mini Grand and the virtual keys will move. Nothing else needs to be done.

If there is more than one Instrument Track, there is no need to Record Enable the track - just select (highlight) the name of the track in the Edit or Mix Window.
This can be used to select the track that the MIDI keyboard controls.

Richard
That's interesting. I just tried with one instrument track and I had to have it record enabled to hear anything or have the virtual keys move. I then loaded another track and inserted a DB-33 and the same thing with the second track. It needed to be record enabled. This happens regardless of which track is selected.
So are you saying you can trigger the VI and hear sound WITHOUT the track being record enabled?

Just FYI, I have Mac OS 10.6.4, PT9 and a 003 with midi I/O connections to the Korg X3
Old 12-26-2010, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD2 View Post
So are you saying you can trigger the VI and hear sound WITHOUT the track being record enabled?
Yes - very strange - perhaps the 003 works in a different way. I've never used one.

My M-Audio Ozonic is connected (firewire), but I'm only using it as a MIDI keyboard - not as an audio interface. At the moment I'm using the Mac's internal sound card.

Richard
Old 12-26-2010, 09:55 AM

IF I change the Default Thru Instrument MIDI setting in Preferences - I then have to Record Enable a track to get it to sound.

My setting (default) that works without having to Record Enable an instrument track is:
Preferences/MIDI/Default Thru Instrument
first selected MIDI track

Richard
Old 12-26-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
IF I change the Default Thru Instrument MIDI setting in Preferences - I then have to Record Enable a track to get it to sound.

My setting (default) that works without having to Record Enable an instrument track is:

Richard
This is correct, when 'First Selected MIDI Track' is enabled and multiple MIDI device tracks are in use, only the top most track will use this Preference.
Old 12-26-2010, 01:03 PM

Quote:

Richard
Thanks Richard,
I am a bit of a neophyte when it comes to midi stuff but this helped a lot. I set that as you said and I can now play on the keyboard controller and hear the VI's without having to record arm a track. Then all I need do is select a different track with another VI and it will play that one. Excellent.
Old 12-26-2010, 03:20 PM

HD2

Great!
Glad you got it working.

Richard