Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 08-06-2019, 02:53 AM

Default having problems with pt10-HD3

Had to get a new used ProMac 09 4-core - 8g ram(for now), my 08 ProMac 8 core mountain lion had problems. I was able to pull the hard drive out of my old mac and put it in the new mac but now having problems. First, it sees 8 cores in the Pt playback setting and only has 4 cores in the mac? Then it played fine but when I brought up a session I was working on from the old mac and nothing was coming out of the system, no meters showing signal but pink noise was coming from some verb plugins on the aux and the meters were peaking. I rebooted and then it played fine? Then I checked out another song and did it again? Could this new mac have a problem too? Or has anyone heard of this and how to fix?

This is the first time I had to post to this. In my 16 years of using PtHD started with Pt6 HD3 PCI

I have 2-192 w 32 inputs and 16 outs, 3 PCIe cards, UA satellite plugins, control 24, PT 10.3.10, I'm happy with TDM still
Old 08-06-2019, 03:40 AM

Default Re: having problems with pt10-HD3

Are you sure the Mac is not a dual processor so 2 x 4 core ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Old 08-06-2019, 05:04 AM

Also, could you outline what was the problems you had with the first Mac Pro. Can you be quite shure that they haven't migrated when you transferred the drives and the cards?
Old 08-06-2019, 05:09 AM

Well my vote goes to VIRTUAL CORES as I remember we had 16 cores in HD10 on a 8 core Mac Pro but haven’t even looked there since we got the 12 core trashcans.

Sooo ... if you see 8 cores and you have 4 then those extra are virtual cores and for most pretty useless feature tbh

Reg your other issues start by disabling indexing and ALL the optimizations. Trash preferences and databases and restart the system. Goto settings and i/o, there press DEFAULT on all tabs. In out aux etc on both input and output pages with your cards and interfaces connected and turned on.

See if that does it for you.

Also what Graphics card is in that ”new” MacPro? Maybe that is also acting up so if your old graphic card works try swPping that into the working Mac and make sure to REINSTALL drivers for it.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 08-06-2019, 05:11 AM

Pretty shure there were no virtual cores option in Lion.
Old 08-06-2019, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
Pretty shure there were no virtual cores option in Lion.
Mountain Lion 10.8.5 was what we had in that Mac Pro and we had Virtual Cores or am I dreaming? He (OP) has Mountain Lion so it has to be 10.8.X which had Virtual Cores.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 08-06-2019, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Mountain Lion 10.8.5 was what we had in that Mac Pro and we had Virtual Cores or am I dreaming? He (OP) has Mountain Lion so it has to be 10.8.X which had Virtual Cores.
Oops, my mistake. Sorry. I was never on ML, so I don't know.
Old 08-07-2019, 05:37 PM

good question. My mac would just shut down and reboot on its own when I would first start it on. like after a min it would reboot, and do this for 20 or 30 mins, then would run great. seemed to have to warm up? Some days it would be okay. Also had an analog input card in my 192 (9-16) that was freaking out with noise or distortion intermittently but got a new card and that's running fine now.
Old 08-07-2019, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Well my vote goes to VIRTUAL CORES as I remember we had 16 cores in HD10 on a 8 core Mac Pro but haven’t even looked there since we got the 12 core trashcans.

Sooo ... if you see 8 cores and you have 4 then those extra are virtual cores and for most pretty useless feature tbh

Reg your other issues start by disabling indexing and ALL the optimizations. Trash preferences and databases and restart the system. Goto settings and i/o, there press DEFAULT on all tabs. In out aux etc on both input and output pages with your cards and interfaces connected and turned on.

See if that does it for you.

Also what Graphics card is in that ”new” MacPro? Maybe that is also acting up so if your old graphic card works try swPping that into the working Mac and make sure to REINSTALL drivers for it.

I also took the video card out and put in the newer pro mac, video card seems okay, running well. Did another clean install with PT put all avid and Digidesign in trash and emptied it. Reinstalled waves bundle got all waves in trash as well. Then everything was working fine, for a day then bam distortion coming from my Aux with Digidesign delay on it?
Old 08-07-2019, 06:17 PM

Another thing? I don't have a session up with PT running the system usage meters in PT on the core card #1 SurrLongDelay is showing 25% and the PCI meter showing 13% usage? Shouldn't it be empty?