How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2011, 10:44 AM

Default PT 9 (Upgrade) on Win XP Pro ?

Hi and Help !!

I have Pro Tools 8LE (upgraded from 7.3LE), running happily on a win XP Pro (32 bit) operating system (2.6 g dual core, 4g ram) PC, with an M box 2 USB interface.

I want to coss grade (upgrade) to PT9 (with a Focusrite interface).
Will the new PT9 run on my Win XP Pro OS, or will I have to put Win 7 OS on the machine ??

Thank you in advance for any info,

Best regards,

Fred Dorsett
Old 09-23-2011, 11:48 AM

Default Re: PT 9 (Upgrade) on Win XP Pro ?

Despite some claims to the contrary, you really should go to Windows 7. Having said that, how you really should do it is; remove your XP system drive and install a fresh drive and do a fresh install of everything. That way, if anything goes sour, you can at least stick the XP drive back in and get work done. Despite some learning curve with Win7, its a much better OS and delivers better performance(for me anyway).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-24-2011, 10:34 AM

Thank you for your thoughts on this guys. I think I will go and buy another copy of Win7 64bit (another $100 !), and start again on my 'sound' machine !!

I have another machine running Win 7/64, which I keep just for my graphics,
3D Animation, and video editing work (Adobe CS5 Production Suite and Autodesk Maya), so I have some experience with Win7 as an OS.

Hopefully it won't be too traumatic re installing all my PT stuff on my upgraded, XP to 7/64, 'sound' machine, and then upgrading to PT 9 !

I am more a 'visual and sound storyteller/artist' than a software/OP system/PC wizard !!

I am happiest when the software 'works' transparently, and I can concentrate/get on with, my storytelling/art !!

Once again thank you for your thoughts..

Best regards,
Fred Dorsett
Old 09-24-2011, 03:21 PM

Fred, do yourself a huge favor here. Don't touch the working XP/PT8 system drive. Remove the drive and install another drive to load up with Windows 7 and PT9. That way, if anything goes sour, you can reinstall the XP drive and get work done(solving issues at your convenience, instead of ripping your hair out when you need to work but can't).

Old 09-26-2011, 03:02 AM

Thanks once again Albee, I will take your lead / good advice here, and save out my old drive first, before installing Win7/64 and all the PT on a new drive.

I hope my original 7.3 LE / 7.4 LE(upgrade) / 8 LE(upgrade) will all go happily onto the new Win7/64 OS, prior to me finally loading on the PT9 crossgrade .

If the earlier versions of PT in my 'new' upgrade path don't like the new
Win 7/64 OS, then I guess i'll have to buy the full PT9 program and forget trying to upgrade from PT7.3LE (Full prog June 2008) via PT7.4 (upgrade) then PT 8 (upgrade) to PT9 using the crossgrade version.

Oh well, time will tell !! Any final thoughts ??

Best regards,
Fred
Old 09-26-2011, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddorsett View Post
Thanks once again Albee, I will take your lead / good advice here, and save out my old drive first, before installing Win7/64 and all the PT on a new drive.

I hope my original 7.3 LE / 7.4 LE(upgrade) / 8 LE(upgrade) will all go happily onto the new Win7/64 OS, prior to me finally loading on the PT9 crossgrade .

If the earlier versions of PT in my 'new' upgrade path don't like the new
Win 7/64 OS, then I guess i'll have to buy the full PT9 program and forget trying to upgrade from PT7.3LE (Full prog June 2008) via PT7.4 (upgrade) then PT 8 (upgrade) to PT9 using the crossgrade version.

Oh well, time will tell !! Any final thoughts ??

Best regards,
Fred
There is a little confusion here. You do not need to have a previous version of Protools installed to install Protools 9.x. In fact you must uninstall it if it is on the same drive/partition. That is why it is not called an "upgrade." They purposely call it a "crossgrade." Do as Albee suggested and remove your existing boot drive and place it in a safe place. Install a brand new hard drive and install the full Windows 7. You may then install the crossgraded Protools 9 (assuming you crossgraded using a valid Avid interface's serial number). After that, depending on what installer you used, you may upgrade to any of the minor upgrades (9.0.1, 9.0.2, 9..03, 9.0.5)

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 09-26-2011, 09:16 AM

What he said^^^^^^ with one word of caution. Image your system drive before any update, and avoid the 9.0.5 updater for now. Too many problems posted on that one.

Old 09-27-2011, 02:36 AM

Thumbs up Re: PT 9 (Upgrade) on Win XP Pro ?

WOW.. Thanks again guys !!

I certainly was confused there !!

Now that you have pointed out the difference between 'upgrade' and 'crossgrade', I see what I am about to do a LOT more clearly !!

And yes, i'll make a drive 'image' Albee.

Thanks again,
Fred