How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 09-08-2018, 03:58 PM

Default Insane CPU usage of IK Multimedia FX Plugins

Hi.. this is frustrating me no end..

I joined the t racks group buy..

I have many of the IK products over the years.. but I tend to not use them all that much due to cpu usage. I use special not "on every track" type of processors, but channel strips and EQ's, they consume between 10 to 20x and even higher the cpu usage of competitors.

I have even confirmed this now even on my reasonably powerful iMac Pro.

Ok, there can be an argument made in their favour when they are doing special analog emulations, as far as quality is concerned. Sure..

But just to give you an example, the IK SSL channel uses 20x the cpu of duende Native and Waves.

It's as if, Ik are just not bothered with any kind of optimisation.

I know Peter will get upset when he reads this, and i love ya Peter so don't take this personal mate..

Ok here's a very valid example where there is NO explanation other than a lack of optimisation.

IK Equal, with just the default one bell enabled, vs Pro Q2 with 7 bands enabled.

You have to see it to believe it, so I created a video.

This is across 64 stereo audio tracks playing a guitar loop with one instance of each EQ..

Check out the massive cpu usage difference... Going by this, I would say that about 512 instances of ProQ2 would use about what 64 of Equal do. it may be even more of a difference. I am going to do a test stacking instances across those 64 channels to get this result :)

More Results:
Ok, final count of instances at plugin default settings.

IK Equal with 1 bell enabled:
Logic meter full, real cpu was 88% per core!
I also got a nasty crash when disabling or enabling individual instances with a "logic crashed due to the IK Equal plugin" message. Have to send that through to IK stat.

Pro Q 2 with 7 bands enabled (5 bells, 2 cut filters):

960, Logic cpu meter 35% across all cores, real cpu 25% per core.

WOW.. I literally ran out of slots.. 960 instances of Pro Q2 is showing less on logic meter than what you saw in the video with just 64 IK Equal.
WOW.

I guess I have to duplicate tracks galore to get a realistic ProQ2 figure, as i can't add enough instances on 64 stereo tracks to max it out. WOW.

Video:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tdsibgbe62...v?dl=0]Dropbox - IkEqual High Cpu.mov
Old 09-10-2018, 12:08 PM

Default Re: Insane CPU usage of IK Multimedia FX Plugins

Does no one else find the cpu usage of these things too high? It didn't seem to bother anyone at gearslutz also. I am just curious why.... cause if no one complains, they'll never fix it!

A track EQ should not use anywhere near as much CPU as Equal does. Neither should the SSL.. The ssl strips are only modelling curves and dynamics behaviour.. they should be using about 1/10th of what they are.

I'll do further testing with the entire T Racks range vs closest competitor.. Will take a few hours, so only if at least one other person is interested LOL!
Old 09-10-2018, 08:31 PM

Is this the processor you're using?

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare.../m399268vs3917

What sample rate and buffer are you working at? That Xeon isn't too different from the overclocked 1700 I use. I've never tried using IK stuff on every channel. The only thing by them I use on a regular basis is the Lurssen. I've heard about the high cpu usage on some of their stuff. I'm mainly using the BX SSL E on channels along with the Tube Tech MKII sometimes.
Old 09-11-2018, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViciousBliss View Post
Is this the processor you're using?

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare.../m399268vs3917

What sample rate and buffer are you working at? That Xeon isn't too different from the overclocked 1700 I use. I've never tried using IK stuff on every channel. The only thing by them I use on a regular basis is the Lurssen. I've heard about the high cpu usage on some of their stuff. I'm mainly using the BX SSL E on channels along with the Tube Tech MKII sometimes.
yah but the imac pro has a ~10% downclock, on the other hand, mine is always at it's permanent all core turbo of 3.9ghz when running any DAW, as there are no thermal issues with the base model I've never seen it as low as the 3.2 factory speed, lowest i've seen is 3.8.

In the video it's just a crystal well macbook pro quad 2.8ghz i7, 4500 single core geekbench, 17K multi.

The imac pro gets 5200 single, 31 multi.

It's all relative though.. even if you have a 16 core 4ghz overclocked monster, IK eq is going to use 20x the cpu of the Fab filter. And that's the issue. They don't optimize.. literally at all. Nothing.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:41 AM
IK Multimedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
yah but the imac pro has a ~10% downclock, on the other hand, mine is always at it's permanent all core turbo of 3.9ghz when running any DAW, as there are no thermal issues with the base model I've never seen it as low as the 3.2 factory speed, lowest i've seen is 3.8.

In the video it's just a crystal well macbook pro quad 2.8ghz i7, 4500 single core geekbench, 17K multi.

The imac pro gets 5200 single, 31 multi.

It's all relative though.. even if you have a 16 core 4ghz overclocked monster, IK eq is going to use 20x the cpu of the Fab filter. And that's the issue. They don't optimize.. literally at all. Nothing.
Hey TNM,

Sorry to hear of your experience here. I would like to assure you this isn't the typical experience with T-RackS and that our support team will be more than happy to see what could be going on here. Please open a ticket at the link below and work with the team.

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support/mi
Old 10-06-2018, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanIK View Post
Hey TNM,

Sorry to hear of your experience here. I would like to assure you this isn't the typical experience with T-RackS and that our support team will be more than happy to see what could be going on here. Please open a ticket at the link below and work with the team.

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support/mi
I've been told this for around 8 years now over 10 different macs.. They must all be faulty LOL.

Equal uses 20x the CPU of fab filter pro Q2.. I have confirmed it on my macbook pro using 12.12.6, on my imac pro using 10.13.6, on my win 7 quad 2.3ghz laptop, on bootcamp on my imac pro using windows 10, and on my friend's trashcan mac pro. I have tried Live 10/Reaper5/Logic10.4/Cubase9.5/PT2018/S1V4. I think that's more tests to prove my point than anyone could ever ask for.

I have been complaining about T Racks cpu usage for years and don't have time to start a back and forth with support that will get me nowhere (it never has).

If you really are interested, do a test yourself, prove to me I am wrong, or simply raise the issue with support yourself, and they can look at it and fix it.

They won't, they never will, they never do, they don't care.

Your SSL channel uses 20x the cpu of alternatives, your Neve 84 EQ uses a massive amount more than alternatives..

In fact, I actually rarely use your plugins anymore cause they just suck too much CPU.. Hey, I wouldn't care if i had 16 track projects on my 8 core imac pro but i have 60 or even 100 track projects.

Syntronik works very well surprisingly and is my favourite IK product. CSR verb is very low on cpu. Any of the analog emulations just suck cpu like a hoover cause they are not optimised. Only IK can fix it.

In the meantime, i'll continue to use the UAD neves, which is a shame, as I am trying to rely less and less on UAD these days.

I really don't mean to be rude, and i DO appreciate your kind reply, and you couldn't possibly know this, but I have never had a successful outcome with IK support, so this is why I feel it's pointless and why I am trying to get others to also confirm, but no one has.. no one will even TRY the test.. for some reason, others don't seem to care, so why would IK ever do anything about it if it's one or two voices?

Just to give you an example.. there was a problem with Sampletank in the Power PPC days on mac os only, with my powermac G5 dual core desktop, that would denormal spike in Logic.. For example, I'd have say 4 tracks of sampletank playing midi, the cpu would be very very low, then the playhead cursor would go into an area of the song where the sampletanks were not playing back any midi, and the cpu would bounce and overload and logic would stop playback.

I actually dealt with one of the OWNERS of Ik at the time, for 2 months, and got nowhere after 20 emails.

Since then, if I don't get a reply, or I get a reply 2 weeks later, or the support hasn't read the question i asked at all and answers with irrelevant info, I have not had success with IK support.

So I have just stopped using it. Personal choice :)

There is no NEED to open a support request.. You are from IK and you have seen the video. Why can't you tell them? Why does it have to be me? Point them to the topic and video!

Cheers
Old 10-08-2018, 10:37 AM
IK Multimedia

I can and have relayed things from a third party forum but that isn't going to resolve issues, direct reports with full details to the support team who will verify and submit relevant data to the devs is what fixes issues.

Please send any related support ticket numbers to me and I can let our Support Manager know.
Old 10-09-2018, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter - IK Multimedia View Post
I can and have relayed things from a third party forum but that isn't going to resolve issues, direct reports with full details to the support team who will verify and submit relevant data to the devs is what fixes issues.

Please send any related support ticket numbers to me and I can let our Support Manager know.
well OK Peter, I will give it another go. I am almost certain they will just say that the quality is much higher than the other plugins and that's why they use so much CPU, but i will do it one more time and take the time to write a comprehensive report of my findings to support.

Greetings, nice to hear from you.