Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 07-27-2018, 03:05 PM

Default How would I connect the Roland TR-8S to 003 Work Surface (PT 2018.4.0), through USB2?

I have the Roland TR-8S.

I have a USB2 cable... but there may be a problem - as I think I have to plug it into the 003 control surface...

The back panel (003), has two firewire ports (FW400, IEEE 1394 6 Pin), however, in one of the ports I have the: Thunderbolt to Firewire Adaptor - which connects the Mac and 003.

I don't think the Roland TR-8S is going to work on Pro Tools - by plugging into the ports at the back of the Mac ... will it?

I need to plug it in the 003 - but I cannot do this because of the firewire ports.

Even then... How would I configure the internal settings in Pro Tools to allow the Roland TR-8S to play - through USB?

I have never used USB cables with external hardware in Pro Tools - only external hardware with midi cables in Pro Tools.

Is there a solution - and would it be easy to configure Pro Tools for the TR8-S - when everything is 'set-up.'
Old 07-27-2018, 04:08 PM

Default Re: How would I connect the Roland TR-8S to 003 Work Surface (PT 2018.4.0), through U

It has analog outs. Plug those into your 003 inputs.

Use the USB or MIDI connections if you want PT to output MIDI info to trigger the sounds on the TR8-S.

It functions just like any other piece of equipment. If you’re new to using external instruments, maybe flick through the manual so you get an idea how to set it all up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-27-2018, 05:25 PM

Default Re: How would I connect the Roland TR-8S to 003 Work Surface (PT 2018.4.0), through U

Is it true that: Audio over USB sounds rubbish?

I have no problem configuring the Eight analog i/p interfaces in Pro Tools for receiving incoming sound from an external midi module... or assigning sounds to individual outs - which belong to any external midi hardware units

I just thought I would give USB2 a go... As i have never used it before in that way - I thought it would/might be better as it behaves rather like a Multichannel Audio Digital Interface - with no hum.

Is this how it (USB2) behaves?
Old 07-27-2018, 11:18 PM

Sorry. I wasn’t aware the USB on that was for a soundcard.

Whoever told you USB over audio sounds bad doesn’t know what they’re taking about.

If you want to use it as a soundcard with your 003 you’ll have to set it up as an Aggregate IO otherwise it will be one of the other.

Old 07-28-2018, 10:19 AM

Quote:
If you want to use it as a soundcard with your 003 you’ll have to set it up as an Aggregate IO otherwise it will be one of the other.
How do you that? I have been at it all day

Could someone from Pro Tools or Roland 'chime-in' I'm getting 'nowhere fast' here

This is crazy........
Old 07-28-2018, 07:10 PM

https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT202000

Old 07-28-2018, 10:23 PM

I have done all that... and I can't seem to make any headway

Like I said before I have a 003 going to the iMac (thunderbolt to firewire adaptor) I have only the 003 workstation - which is sufficient for what I do at home.

I have set my session at 24bit/96kHz (this is what Roland stipulate...) and watched the Kevin Becka videos (countless of times), see link below:

Free Tutorial - Using Pro Tools Aggregate I/O & I/O Setup To Speed Your System Workflow Part 1 – Quickly Jump Between Tracking, Overdub, & Mixing I/O Setups:

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/hom...y-sized-system

... I have looked at your link and plenty, plenty more (etc. etc.) - as you can well imagine

I just cannot seem to get my head around it. I have configured the aggregate I/O countless of times and can't get any sound from it and it doesn't seem to register on the meters in pro tools either

I have no problem navigating back to my 003 setup. i.e.: The Playback Engine Avid 003 - that is easy enough

However, this aggregate i/o setting is 'something else' and I have been trying to get this to work for 18 hours

Surely it can't be that hard to do... Can it? AAAGGGHH!

Edit//: In this short video: 2.13 minutes... This man succinctly explains how to do it - however, this is setup in Ableton Live. At 1.19 you can see the USB2 (TR-8S to Mac)

Roland TR-8s Tutorial: Connecting Audio to Ableton Live

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tVB...&frags=pl%2Cwn

This guy explains the configuring (it is a TR8 - but it is basically the same thing)... and it is more in-depth, unfortunately it is on Logic (someone PLEASE do a video with Pro Tools... What is the matter with you lot )!

Using Multiple Outputs with the Roland TR-8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N58jVASFeVs&frags=

Someone PLEASE do a Pro Tools Video (quickly)! Is he using Instrument Tracks or Audio tracks????

I am still struggling with this function and I cannot get it to work.

Last edited by jamesleonard; 07-30-2018 at 04:04 PM. Reason: I was very tired last night and omitted relevant details.
Old 03-25-2020, 03:19 PM

Did you ever figure out how to connect the tr8s to pro tools. Having major issues as well. I can get midi sound but not the tr8s sounds