Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App

Old 02-18-2020, 08:33 AM

Default SEL and IN buttons broken in the Dyn sections of Control app and Surface

After some troubleshooting, I found that the SEL and IN buttons are not working in the Dyn sections of both the Avid Control app and on a physical Artist Mix control surface.

This makes it impossible to properly address all necessary dynamics properties.

Note that the buttons seem to work fine in the EQ section.

As a current workaround, the only way is to revert to the Insert section and work from there.

Hope this can be fixed soon so we can make proper use of the Dyn section again!
Old 02-18-2020, 08:39 AM

Default Re: SEL and IN buttons broken in the Dyn sections of Control app and Surface

I reported this to Avid as Case 03884409, but they're of absolutely no help. Asking me to make movies for such as simple and well described problem. That's just stalling, 0,0 proactivity, completely fed up with them!
Old 02-18-2020, 09:15 AM

Default Re: SEL and IN buttons broken in the Dyn sections of Control app and Surface

Which plugin?
Old 02-18-2020, 09:16 AM

All dynamics plugins. E.g. Dyn3.
Old 02-18-2020, 10:22 AM

In (app) and On (Artist Mix) are both working for me in EuCon 20.1. Tried with Pro Compressor and Dyn3. Sel doesn't seem to do anything, but I can access every function using the In/On buttons. Am I missing something?
Old 02-18-2020, 11:33 AM

Are you sure you are in Channel View and then Dyn section in the Control app? I mean, not in Inserts section?
Old 02-18-2020, 02:09 PM

Yes, definitely. I'll try to take a video and see if I can upload it.
Old 02-18-2020, 03:16 PM

Here's a link to a video. Hope this helps.

https://youtu.be/k0keRI7hzkY

Edit: this only shows the Control app, but it is working the same for me on the Artist Mix.
Old 02-18-2020, 03:53 PM

You're absolutely right! Seems I'll have to make a movie myself after all. Really appreciate you taking the time to test this out!
Old 02-19-2020, 05:09 AM

OK, I had some time to twiddle with the Dyn3 in the Channel View Dyn section.

First of all, I was a bit mislead, because the compression curve graph pops up automatically when I enter the Dyn section. I didn't realise I could actually access a second page of parameters. In fact, there's a setting in the app under Gear Icon > Channel View > Function graphs, to hide the graph by default.

I can confirm that I now find back all Dyn3 related parameters in the Dyn section. However... I noticed following issues still:

1. The layout of the parameters over the screen is totally different than if you would open the same plugin in the Insert section. It's not consistent, and therefore confusing and slowing down workflow.
2. In the Dyn section, the parameters get less readable names, like 'CReleaseTime' instead of 'Release' in the Insert section. I guess the C stand for Compression, but I have no clue why they changed and obfuscated the labels in the Dyn section.
3. On the Artist Mix, we find even different labels when in Dyn mode: e.g. 'cRelease'.
4. Specifically for the Dyn3 plugin, the 'Key Listen' parameter from the Dyn section is not available as such in the Insert section. I have found that, in the Insert section, it is mapped to the SEL button on the 'External Key' parameter.
5. For the LPFFrequency/HPFFrequency filter, there is no visual indication of the selected filter type, not in the Control app (LPFrequency IN), nor on the control surface.

All of the above obviously doesn't help to easily find your way around and work from the surfaces alone. I have no idea why Avid made things so inconsistent and unclear, even within the Control app itself.

Now, that was for the Dyn3 plugin. My problem originally started while using the Waves API-2500 compressor, which I use quite a bit. For that plugin specifically:

6. All of the above problems also apply.
7. The CGainMakeup is not consistently mapped with the continuous output gain control, but rather to a Makeup Gain type switch in the plugin.
8. The SEL button on the Release parameter does NOT work in the Dyn section. Therefore, the actual Release parameter (not the deeper, variable release) is NOT accessible from the Dyn section. This impedes the usability of the Dyn section to work with this plugin.
9. In some other Waves plugins, like the C4, the control over the individual compression bands gets lost in the Dyn section, where the controls change all of the bands at the same time. In the Insert section, you have control over the individual bands. Actually, this may not be as bad, since the Dyn section controls the offsets of all bands simultaneously, and gives you the ability to turn down all bands with one control, which is actually nice. But it would have been even nicer if the individual controls had also additionally been available in the Dyn section.

So, what is going on?

I think I now start to understand what is happening here. I believe Avid has implemented some kind of 'mapping' of a dynamics plugin's common controls, so they appear consistently on the same spot in the Dyn section (e.g. Release Time always in upper left corner, Knee in bottom right corner). They probably artificially constructed these 'C ...' version parameters to accomplish that. But then it is obvious that their implementation doesn't properly work for all plugins, like for example the Waves API-2500, where they mismap parameters and some parameters become outright inaccessible.

I think there is a lot of room for improvement here!