Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2018, 07:52 AM

Default ? Midi-track shorter than parallel audio-recording ?

Sorry for posting this highly specialized problem, but I count on the board's experience.

Setup: Live-recording of 4 singers + 1 stage piano, using an RME FireFace UFX II in standalone mode with its integrated "Durec"-function (recording directly from the interface to an USB-disc). 88.2/24 recording.
Using: Microphones and line-level from piano

Idea: to get a better piano-sound, I wanted to also save the piano's midi-data and replace the line-level piano-sound with a VI-piano from Pianoteq via the parallel recorded midi.

Solution: since "Durec" cannot record midi data, I attached my iphone to the midi-out of the piano, recorded the performance on IOS "Nocturne midi recorder app", saved the midi data to my harddisc and imported it (together with the recorded WAVs) into ProTools.

I really thought, by aligning the midi data with the piano-WAV, I could get a perfectly in sync midi-replacement of the microphone-recording.

Problem: in no way, the midi was in sync with the recorded piano. The duration between the first and the last recorded note was way shorter with the midi than with the audio. Already within the first song, one can hear "the midi speeding away" ....

Can you in any way imagine, why that happens?

The only parameter, I can think of, is bpm, but both in the app as well as in ProTools, BPM was set to 120 (anyway, I do not think, that value has any influence, but I thought, I'd mention it...)

So: thoughts, please, on how to correct this.

Thank you!

Last edited by dvdr; 07-09-2018 at 08:22 AM.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:13 AM

Default Re: ? Midi-track shorter than parallel audio-recording ?

You can TCE the MIDI clip. Cut the MIDI at the first note, align it to the recording. Then, separate the last note/chord of the MIDI, and move it out of the way. TCE the end of the MIDI clip to match the audio, and then move the end note/chord next to it.

Makes sense?