Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2012, 08:20 PM

Default Sorry! Need help quick...in a session! What's the Control Panel?

I don't have PT10 up and running, but a client just showed up with his iMac running PT10. He said that he's getting some digital clicks, which leads me to question his clocking source. But when I go to the place I know...the "Session" window, to check clocking source...instead of saying "internal" or "word clock", it says "See Control Panel" and you can't click on that.

Is this a new PT10 thing?

What the heck is the Control Panel?

Any help you can give would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks in advance, fellow DUC'ers!
Old 06-05-2012, 08:29 PM

Default Re: Sorry! Need help quick...in a session! What's the Control Panel?

PS. The guy is also using an Apogee Duet. I don't think you can clock from that, can you? If you can't clock from the Duet, then it means it's clocking from the iMac, isn't that right? I've got only HD Accel rigs at my place, so I'm not familiar with all these other pieces...
Old 06-05-2012, 08:35 PM

The Duet has a software panel called "Maestro", and it shows the clocking as "internal"...however, I don't know if that's internal on the Duet or internal on the iMac. Regardless, I can't change it.

You might ask why I care about this...the guy has brought his system here so we can bounce some of his soft synths onto audio tracks, and I hate creating audio files without knowing FOR SURE that we have the clocking of his system absolutely correct...
Old 06-05-2012, 08:40 PM

So, I take it that "see Control Panel" means to open OSX System Prefs and choose the "MBox" prefs. Of course, he didn't bring that device, which to me means that we're dead in the water without it...I'd feel better having the MBox, because I'm pretty sure we could then switch the clocking to the MBox, which is probably a better idea than clocking within the iMac...?
Old 06-05-2012, 08:48 PM

Application > Utilitys > Audio Midi Setup

lets you set up the audio interfaces

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 06-05-2012, 09:08 PM

Craig, that's very helpful. So, I've opened up the Duet software (called Maestro)...I've enabled clocking on the Duet using Maestro and set it to Internal . Do you think that means that this system is currently clocked to the Duet?
Old 05-31-2018, 04:14 PM

I know this is many years after the original post but I've found the cause and solution and thought I'd share as it's still relevant (and as a note to my future self when it happens again).

CAUSE: If you disconnect your hardware or have a change in your hardware settings the software may default to a device or setup that doesn't have a clock. In my case (it had defaulted to ProTools Aggregate I/O), even when I reconnected the hardware, it stayed on the default and wouldn't give me any options to change it and the Setup / Hardware option wouldn't even display my hardware as an option.

SOLUTION: Once your hardware has been reconnected go to Setup / Playback Engine and from the drop-down menu at the top select your hardware and the clock options should return again in the Session Setup box.