Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 05-25-2010, 02:33 PM

Default Help: copy/paste plugin parameters (ex: 2.0 to 5.1)?

Hi folks-- not sure what else to call it so I'm just coming to the group to ask:

Here's the situation:
Pro Tools TDM 7.2 (Mac)
Converting, say, a 2.0 show to 5.1
So I'm having to take all the plugin automation from one to another.

Didn't take me long to realize that you can't simply option-drag the plugin from the 2.0 submaster (for instance) to a new 5.1 submaster because 'the number of inputs don't match'.

So basically going from any X number instance of a track (aux in this case) to a Y number instance of a track (also aux--DIA Master specifically, with 5 plugins).

I normally go through the grunt work of showing the plugin's parameter automation on the track (ie: Q10 band 1 gain), copy, then go to the new track which I've set up with another Q10 and pasting into the same parameter.

There's GOT to (or there SHOULD) be a way to copy all / paste all... yes? No?
p.s. I should also specify--this would copy all automation changes within the track length or highlighted section, etc. Not just 'copy and paste' of a 'set' setting (ie: from here to here make all automation THIS setting)--so all gain changes, frequency changes, Q changes, etc. etc. would follow.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Not something I have to do often, so have never worried about it; but another case came up taking a 2.0 mix to a 5.1 mix and here I am again.

Thanks.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:17 AM

Default Re: Help: copy/paste plugin parameters (ex: 2.0 to 5.1)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floydio View Post
Hi folks-- not sure what else to call it so I'm just coming to the group to ask:

Here's the situation:
Pro Tools TDM 7.2 (Mac)
Converting, say, a 2.0 show to 5.1
So I'm having to take all the plugin automation from one to another.

Didn't take me long to realize that you can't simply option-drag the plugin from the 2.0 submaster (for instance) to a new 5.1 submaster because 'the number of inputs don't match'.

So basically going from any X number instance of a track (aux in this case) to a Y number instance of a track (also aux--DIA Master specifically, with 5 plugins).

I normally go through the grunt work of showing the plugin's parameter automation on the track (ie: Q10 band 1 gain), copy, then go to the new track which I've set up with another Q10 and pasting into the same parameter.

There's GOT to (or there SHOULD) be a way to copy all / paste all... yes? No?
p.s. I should also specify--this would copy all automation changes within the track length or highlighted section, etc. Not just 'copy and paste' of a 'set' setting (ie: from here to here make all automation THIS setting)--so all gain changes, frequency changes, Q changes, etc. etc. would follow.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Not something I have to do often, so have never worried about it; but another case came up taking a 2.0 mix to a 5.1 mix and here I am again.

Thanks.
I'm not in front of the machine, but there is a COPY SPECIAL (I think in the EDIT menu), where you can copy ALL AUTOMATION - the same with PASTE SPECIAL. You just need to make sure that all parameters are automation enabled.

Hope this helps,
Timothy
Old 05-26-2010, 02:04 PM

Default Re: Help: copy/paste plugin parameters (ex: 2.0 to 5.1)?

Copy Special has 'all automation', 'plugin automation' (and 'pan automation' but n/a in this case).

But I can't Paste Special (only option available is 'Repeat to Fill Selection', 'Merge' and 'to current automation type' are greyed out at this point). And a simple 'paste' results in 'some automation parameters in the clipboard do not match the paste destination'.

Thanks, though.