Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 01-07-2008, 06:53 AM

Default Can we get a NEW and CLEARER Best Desktop thread?

The "Best Desktops for PTLE" thread is almost a year old. I'm sure there are plenty of people like me that are only slightly computer literate and have trouble sifting through it.
Does anyone care to help us out and start a current thread specifying systems with prices? Maybe a top of the line one and a "medium" one between $800 to $1000?

I read through the long list of people's tests but it looks like a different language to me and doesn't really help me to purchase a complete set of computer parts.

Fortunately, I have a roommate that can help me build a computer. However, he knows nothing about pro tools so I just have to order the parts from my research on this site.

I absolutely love to lurk on here. I learn so much! Thanks everyone for you help. Maybe some day, I'll learn enough and have some experiences to share and help everyone else!
Old 01-07-2008, 08:42 AM

Default Re: Can we get a NEW and CLEARER Best Desktop thread?

Good idea! Since you love to lurk and research this site, I vote YOU to sort thru it all and get back to us with whatever information you deem valuable! Have fun!

Check the first pages of the thread. If that system isn't what you're looking for, check one of the other sticky threads here. Also, many users have their specs posted in their signatures. It really all depends on what you'll be using the system for...
Old 01-07-2008, 08:54 AM

I hear ya!

I think part of the problem is that I find it ALL valuable!!! I just can't sort through it very well! It looks like there are some awesome machines coming in at 800 or 900 bucks. Then they start talking about all their tweeks and compatibility issues and my eyes start to glaze over lol! It seems like even the computer pros on here have a lot of questions. (I'm hoping that's more of the tiny details just because they're into computers and like to tweak things)

I'd love to get a couple of people's listings saying, "I bought all this...and it works great." "You can squeeze some more out if it with some mods but, for a hobbyist, you'll be perfectly happy just buying these parts."

I guess I could just grab some off the other postings but there always seem to be some "watch out for this, or this type is more stable" type of comments...and then it gets technical beyond my understanding.

For example, I just recently read on here and learned that Windows only allocates a limited amount of RAM for pro tools. I assumed, previously, the more ram the better but it sounds like anything over 3 is a waste because windows won't allocate more. (but I could be wrong)

I'll definitely post what I find but I'll be WAY less qualified than most on here to provide input.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:22 PM

See this link .

The first post on this thread seems to be the best information around as far as I've read. While it doesn't have a medium and low end listing, this high end system seems to be at a good price point for a Protools Rig. The best thing about this system is that each component has been tested by folks here. If you're not too comfortable with this techno stuff, try to stick with what is listed. If you're feeling more confident about your technical saviness, you may drift a little. I suggest you do not drift from the MotherBoard/Chipset, processors, and memory types listed. Remember you NEED 2 hard drives (I been preaching this for maybe over 100 posts)...one hard drive for the system and program files and one physically separate hard drive dedicated to the Protools session/audio files (not a partition of the system drive).

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.3.1 running Protools 2024.3
Old 01-07-2008, 03:41 PM

If you stick with the ASUS P35 Series boards, use the listed memory and follow the BIOS setup instructions then I can almost gaurentee you will have a machine the boots on the first try and runs great. I started the Core 2 Specs thread because the best desktops thread hadn't been updated in forever. Most of the info is actually about 2 years out of date. Tweakers aside if you follow the parts list and the BIOS setup instructions you shouldn't have any problems. The video card du jour would seem to be the ASUS 8500Gt 256mb. The ATI X1600Pro has been discontinued.

Stick with the parts listed.....I can't stress that enough. Build whats working and after you've used it for a month or so then think about tweaking it. These things are putting out close to 300 Dverbs and theres no need to tweak then anyway.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 01-08-2008, 12:36 PM

Thanks!!!

That helps immensely!

One more question...due to the windows issue of limiting RAM usage on a program, will I notice much of an improvement in the use of virtual instruments if I'm already running 3mb of RAM? That's where I'm having most of my problems right now.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:06 PM

Please let me add something for folks that might make the same mistake...

UNITED MICRO is recommended on that page as computer builders.
I took that advice and I would NEVER recommend anyone else do the same.

I practically had to beg them to take my business. (They don't follow up emails or phone calls)
I would ask them the same questions over and over and they wouldn't answer.

Finally, the computer arrived and one of the HDs was not installed.

I called them a few more times for the "Lifetime tech support."
Um...they don't really mean that. They don't do any support.

This is just my experience. However, their reviews are dreadful here on resellerratings:

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/United_Micro_Inc

I am very grateful to all the folks that put their brains into helping me build
my PT system. However, there must be some other computer builder that folks
have had good experiences with. Let's add a company like that and give them our business.

Thanks for listening,

-todd amodeo

http://toddamodeo.com
Old 01-08-2008, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Thanks!!!

That helps immensely!

One more question...due to the windows issue of limiting RAM usage on a program, will I notice much of an improvement in the use of virtual instruments if I'm already running 3mb of RAM? That's where I'm having most of my problems right now.
There is actually a recent thread in the last 2 days about patching PT to make it 3Gb aware and that should pick you up about 1 GB for virtual instruments ( the memory available for VI's actually around 1.5-1.7 GB before patching and increases to around 2.75 GB after patching) This is not a mod for the faint of heart but several long term and well respected DUC members tried it and pronounced it good. This only applies to systems with 4GB of memory.

And would certainly NOT be approved of by Digidesign.

Are you aware that the amount of RAM on your video card affects the total amount of RAM windows can see? on systems with 4GB if RAM 512MB cards show 3GB, 256MB cards show 3.25 GB and 128MB shows 3.5 available to windows so if you using lots of VI's and aren't doing any graphics intensive work seek out a "Small" video card.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 01-09-2008, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Please let me add something for folks that might make the same mistake...

UNITED MICRO is recommended on that page as computer builders.
I took that advice and I would NEVER recommend anyone else do the same.

I practically had to beg them to take my business. (They don't follow up emails or phone calls)
I would ask them the same questions over and over and they wouldn't answer.

Finally, the computer arrived and one of the HDs was not installed.

I called them a few more times for the "Lifetime tech support."
Um...they don't really mean that. They don't do any support.

This is just my experience. However, their reviews are dreadful here on resellerratings:

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/United_Micro_Inc

I am very grateful to all the folks that put their brains into helping me build
my PT system. However, there must be some other computer builder that folks
have had good experiences with. Let's add a company like that and give them our business.

Thanks for listening,

-todd amodeo

http://toddamodeo.com
I would say that you can easily build a computer yourself. There are plenty of tut's on the web and it really isn't hard. If you ever played with Lego or Meccano as a kid - no worries. It's much easier than that.

When you have a list of components that are known to work well together, just buy the components and assemble them yourself. You will save yourself $$$$$$$$$$$$ on labour and learn something into the bargain. Easily done in a day the first time. After that it just gets easier.

My $0.02

Cheers!

HANSON'S RAZOR:
Never attribute to evil that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:46 AM

That thread is long... you should take your time with it. Why rush?

I spent weeks and read every single post before I built my first "homemade" PTLE computer two years ago. It´s been running like a charm ever since. My PTLE has been practically on for two years, day and night. I often push it hard, it just works when I do my part.

I am not very computer literate but with the help of that thread I eventually had no problems whatsoever. It just took some time to digest but was definitely worth it. You buy a couple of components and stick them together, then run some CD:s, very easy - and it gives certain confidence when you know what you´re working on after the computer in up and running. In this Windows world I find that quite essential. And yes, I was scared at first,too.

If you can use a screwdriver, you can build a PC. You must know some software stuff anyway and that part is much more demanding because of all the little this` and that´s. But building the hardware itself is easy.

My next PTLE DAW will be an octacore I think. I will read everything again, this is just invaluable info not available anywhere else.

Thanks to all the Big Boys out there for sharing all this knowledge. There´s no one "right" way to do this... it´s like riding a motorbike, sort of. Or changing a light bulb.

EDIT:
Quote:
The "Best Desktops for PTLE" thread is almost a year old.

That thread is six years old.

- i7 520 @ 3.6 GHz / P6T / XP32 / PTLE 8.01 . PT9 on Snow .
- PTLE8 on a macbook.

- And a bunch of miscellaneous obsolete hardware from the past. Like Mix ++++ 64 i/o with Control/24

I`m In The Band: www.ozofficial.com
My guitars are in tune : http://www.truetemperament.com/site/index.php