Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 10-06-2015, 05:08 AM

Default El Capitan is Avid's big test

I have been thinking about the debacle* that is Avid's transition from a goods supplier to a service provider. I'm sure many here have been thinking about it. El Capitan is a litmus test for the stability of Avid's ability to actually BE a service provider: how soon they Avid can supply compatibility will provide proof of the value of their service.

Having set themselves up as a service provider, whose business is providing support and compatibility, the speed at which they deliver El Capitan compatibility, and the smoothness of the roll out will be quite revealing.
Antelope Audio Discrete 8 SC
Old 10-06-2015, 06:16 AM

Default Re: El Capitan is Avid's big test

Avid has not become a service provider, it's become a billing provider.
Old 10-06-2015, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkandKurious View Post
El Capitan is a litmus test for the stability of Avid's ability to actually BE a service provider: how soon they Avid can supply compatibility will provide proof of the value of their service.
Truth.
Mac Studio (2022) M1 MAX / 64GB / 2TB HD / macOS Ventura 13.6.5 / RME BabyFace Pro FS / SSL UF8 + UF1 + UC1 / Roland SYSTEM 8 / Kontrol S61 mk3 / Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 / Nuendo 13 / Reaper 7 / Komplete 14 / Omnisphere / Keyscape / Trilian / V Collection X
Old 10-06-2015, 09:20 AM

Did something change? Avid has always taken their time to release updates to be compatible with Apple's frequent OS updates. Their testing cycle is extensive and often it takes months. In some cases, they simply give up and abandon that version (PT10) and put their development resources to newer versions. If you are looking for a DAW to keep up with Apple's latest OS, Avid may not be the right platform for you. The software and the company is just not as nimble as some others. This is not a jab at Avid but just a fact of their business model and history. Those who can stick with an older OS and compatible version of Protools tend to be more satisfied with their DAW. Those that feel the need to get the latest-greatest versions, end up being frustrated with Avid. Don't expect Avid to suddenly be the poster child for customer service and being a service provider. They are a software (and hardware) company trying to make a profit from your investment in their products. They will ride this "we are the industry standard" train for as long as the public allows. You should expect more of the same in the future.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 10-06-2015, 09:26 AM

UA, considered one of the great customer service companies, has taken about 4 months to update drivers for each regular major OSX update. Who cares about El Capitan if you have a working, stable system.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:10 AM

I don't care about El Capitan per se; I am still on 11.3.1 with Mavericks (and it is working okay, despite the bugs, which I just have learnt to shrug and work around). Yet Avid have made their subscription/support model about keeping current. It's not like El Capitan was dropped on them a week ago, they've been working with the beta ...or they are not serious about what the support plans pay for.

Avid have to get better at their compatibility releases for there to be any value in their subscription/support model. That is what has changed, by their own doing. Now that they charge an annual fee for updates, they need to show they are serious about keeping the software current for the support plans to have any value. Expecting the customer to keep an up to date yearly fee, while not providing timely releases will simply damage their reputation further.
Antelope Audio Discrete 8 SC
Old 10-06-2015, 10:14 AM

+1
Old 10-06-2015, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkandKurious View Post
I don't care about El Capitan per se; I am still on 11.3.1 with Mavericks (and it is working okay, despite the bugs, which I just have learnt to shrug and work around). Yet Avid have made their subscription/support model about keeping current. It's not like El Capitan was dropped on them a week ago, they've been working with the beta ...or they are not serious about what the support plans pay for.

Avid have to get better at their compatibility releases for there to be any value in their subscription/support model. That is what has changed, by their own doing. Now that they charge an annual fee for updates, they need to show they are serious about keeping the software current for the support plans to have any value. Expecting the customer to keep an up to date yearly fee, while not providing timely releases will simply damage their reputation further.
You can't count the beta. Apple and Windows add stuff and change API's that break functionality right up until the night of the final release. This happened with both EL Capitan and Windows 10. Most companies wait for the final rather than waste resources for months. Apogee rode thru the beta incarnations, UA and others waited for the Final.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:35 AM

+1

Supporting the latest OS is not a litmus test for Avid. They have enough trouble just doing bug fixes right now, and they are many months late on releasing long promised new functionality. It's been so long, I wonder, does anyone even remember what Avid Anywhere is? They have far bigger problems than OS support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian Dragon View Post
Did something change? Avid has always taken their time to release updates to be compatible with Apple's frequent OS updates. Their testing cycle is extensive and often it takes months. In some cases, they simply give up and abandon that version (PT10) and put their development resources to newer versions. If you are looking for a DAW to keep up with Apple's latest OS, Avid may not be the right platform for you. The software and the company is just not as nimble as some others. This is not a jab at Avid but just a fact of their business model and history. Those who can stick with an older OS and compatible version of Protools tend to be more satisfied with their DAW. Those that feel the need to get the latest-greatest versions, end up being frustrated with Avid. Don't expect Avid to suddenly be the poster child for customer service and being a service provider. They are a software (and hardware) company trying to make a profit from your investment in their products. They will ride this "we are the industry standard" train for as long as the public allows. You should expect more of the same in the future.
Old 10-06-2015, 11:19 AM

True we'll see if the subscription has any value at all.

The problem with El Capitan seems to be in t he MIDI implementation. It also broke S3 screens.

I rushed to get my new computer last week before it would be pre-installed with El Capitan. But if Avid doesn't get everything working soon, it means no one can upgrade their MAC's anytime soon.
-HD I/O 8x8x8. -HD Omni -Avid S3

-API 2500 -API 5500 -UA 2-1176 -UA 2-610
-Neve 1073, Chandler LTD-1 -Eventide H8000FW -Lexicon PCM96
-Bricasti M7. -Joe Meek channel.

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12