Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2014, 08:03 AM

Default Re: Avid Every-ware" a wast of time! fix the bugs

My concern is that we were told PT11 vanilla is the best version to date and we should get on board as it is the future. Now we see that the future may entail a subscription service to get further upgrades. Attaining HD benefits a la carte is fair enough (or not) ...In other words, will PT11 progress independently of any a la carte.?

We will see
Old 05-27-2014, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymor View Post
It's ironic that you say Avid Everywhere is a waste of programming time when it's going to be the foundation of subscription based pro tools and satisfy your price point issue.

Everywhere will change fundamental workflows in both music and video post arena, and it's infinitely more important than a bug fix.

A brave total reboot of software development that 11 is will inevitably have human error in it, but I applaud Avid for giving us a system that is exactly the same to create on - while building a robust infrastructure for the future.
Logic X is now about the same price as Logic Express was ?

Subscription based pro tools "Is that what we all what and asked for ?" i think not.

The management are Mental not to offer a update path to HD 11 from PT vanilla.

What's the point in software development if you don't fix the CORE system Bugs.

Apart From the "Audio Bugs" the Video System is still not working and full of bugs.

"NOTHING IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN FIXING THE AUDIO BUGS IN PT 11" or "Avid Every-Where" will be a
Desaster Just like the old Avid Management Team, and none of us what that.

A subscription based pro tools is not for me "Autodesk Maya comes to mind" and i hate
what Autodesk did.

I will Stick about and see what happens to PT 11, But its looking like all my investments
in Avid will be on E-bay soon.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
Au contraire - some of these bugs are entirely crippling and prevent a slew of people from using PT11 (and PT 10.3.9 with its *new* bugs) in a professional environment. So I'd say the OP has it right, and a lot of people who paid for a working product didn't get what they were promised, and still don't have it. Some have called it fraud. That's perhaps a bit extreme, but I can see what they're barking at. More negligence than fraud.

I paid for a working product didn't get what it says on the tin.
A crippling audio system with a Viideo system that never worked thats PT11 today.

Simple things like "Track Freeze" will that be part of " Avid Every-where" or "will we have to pay more ?" i bet we do.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:39 AM

Most of us still cannot depend on PT11 in the way that one would expect for a premium-priced application ... and this is where the comparisons with Logic and Cubase always come in.

If you upgraded from PT10, there's a good chance you're still waiting for AAX64 plugins from Slate, Lexicon, etc. (most now available as public beta). Meanwhile, PT10's incompatibility with Mavericks (non-pros like myself usually do not have dedicated Macs) and promises of plugins 'coming soon' have forced our hand to PT11 further ... only to regularly see the activity spiking to 100% and turning red and having to exit the session?!

I suggest that users who paid the relatively high PT11 upgrade fee and helped Avid's cash-flow in audio for the last year would be annoyed if fixes to these issues arrived in PT12 instead, especially if the new pricing favoured the unpopular (for many) subscription model. If the 'Everywhere' features are 'premium', maybe Avid would consider including them in 11.2 or 11.3 so that these reach a wider user base? Or maybe, those of us with licences (as opposed to new subscribers) could start to pay a low-cost yearly maintenance fee to include future upgrades ... like WUP?!!!!
Old 05-27-2014, 08:40 AM

I hope people didn't misinterpret my reason for posting, which was just to illuminate the OP to help him understand that his 'new' thread is actually saying nothing new and that it would be better to add his views to existing threads on the subjects raised.

To clarify …

1) I fully agree that the bugs are very crippling, the delay compensation one for VIs using multiple outputs, for example, is killing my use of PT11.

2) I think fixing these bugs is far more important and fundamental than rolling out Avid Everywhere … who is going to join that subscription model if they think Avid is no longer committed to a) delivering a stable working product and b) fixing, promptly and effectively, any significant bugs that do inevitably appear.

3) PT10 was supposed to fix PT9's problems, PT11 was supposed to sort out PT10's problems … if Avid try to sell/rent us PT12 as the app that sorts out PT11's problems, without actually fixing PT11, I think many more people will be walking away.

4) I now seriously regret, on a daily basis, being persuaded that it would be a good move to trade in my PT10 + CPTK for PT11HD. PT11 has the potential to be a great DAW, but its bugs are rendering it useless as a one stop shop DAW. I have to export and import between Cubase and Pro Tools, or Logic and Pro Tools, on a regular basis to get the job done. A very sad state of affairs indeed.
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)
Old 05-27-2014, 09:21 AM

Quote:
... infinitely more important than a bug fix.
Hi guymor. Wow! How do you define your infinity? As "New features = 100% important, bug fixes = zero importance."?

I have carefully studied Avids promises about 11, planned quite a lot and after consideration spend some hard earned buckazoids* to support them for their immense software development and to be able to use their shining product myself. Now, I just want Avid to finish what they've started and prioritize fixing critical bugs which still remain close to a year after release which make their product kind of hard to use. I forgive them for not mentioning these bugs on the Avid store page but I don't care for new features just yet.

* costs would include: the Pro Tools license itself, required new computer AND audio hardware, upgrading other licenses to compatible versions, spending valuable time reading docs and learning new workflows, beta testing(!) - and a lot of soda / beer going along all this ..

Quote:
A brave total reboot of software development that 11 is will inevitably have human error in it, but I applaud Avid ...
I actually also applaud Avid for taking on such a big project such as rewriting Pro Tools (11) from the ground up and aiming for the stars feature wise. But not fixing the human errors or bugs is not justified with introducing new cool features that I have to pay more money for. That's my opinion.

I'd love for Avid to first finish one project before going to the next.
Looking forward to 11.2! Keep up the good work! Yay!

Marcel Risberg
Production sound and audio post - ljuddesign.se
Enthusiastically sharing knowledge and experience at Stockholm Film School.

🛠 Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.10 · HD Native · HD Omni
🎚 EuControl x.x.x · Artist Control · Mix · Control App
🦑 MacPro5,1 · 12C24T @3.46GHz · 48GB · SSDs · macOS 10.13.6 (17G5019)
📺 Separate video playback machine
🥇 Covered by ZDT/TLC · Keeping DAW OS clutter free

Last edited by Marcel Risberg; 05-27-2014 at 04:48 PM.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel Risberg View Post
I'd love for Avid to first finish one project before going to the next. Looking forward to 11.2! Keep up the good work! Yay!
Umm.. Pardon me if what I say sounds rude, but... Avid has still not completed their PT11 project and they certainly have not released PT12 yet. So what's your point to be exact?
Old 05-27-2014, 09:41 AM

You typed the name wrong - it's "Avid Vapour-ware" and it's designed to create the illusion that Avid has a workable plan to return to profitability.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:46 AM
ACI/ALP Moderator

Everywhere is a background platform that communicates with Avid products (and potentially competitors) that will become a VERY Important aspect of pro tools.

1) it's a store to sell and buy content on.
2) it's a collaboration tool to pass tracks between people, systems, over the platform. Imagine remote ADR for instance with that option.
3) it's an App Store for developers to create plugins and utilities.
4) it's a backup server

And I'm forgetting some...

I've been at the bleeding edge of PT 11, and have suffered the video bugs, the lack of AAX plugins, and other. I've also found myself missing a lot of things when I have To go back to 10.

Freezing, by the way, looks like a point version away. (Shown at NAB)
Old 05-27-2014, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Freezing, by the way, looks like a point version away. (Shown at NAB)
...so it looks like vaporware :P