Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2017, 11:43 PM

Default Magma 13 slot Expansion chassis on PT10.3.10 on OSX

I'm running a PT HD 10.3.10 (HD|6 Accel) on OSX 10.9.5 with a Magama PE6R4i which works fine.
I was wondering if there is a compatible 13 slot Expansion chassis (Magma or other brand) that works with PT HD10.3.10 on OSX 10.9.5. If so, ho many HD Process cards could I max use?

Many thanks in advance
Old 02-04-2017, 03:58 AM

Default Re: Magma 13 slot Expansion chassis on PT10.3.10 on OSX

The Max number of HD cards is 7
1 HD Core and 6 Accel or Process cards
If you try to add an Eighth card in a 13 Slot chassis ProTools wont even run.

Yes I have tested this myself However you can add other cards like SampleCell or SCSI ect...

Your chassis is 64Bit so the downside to changing to a 13 Slot is that
they are 32bit so you will not get full Track count or issues recording at 192K sampling rate.

I've tested the Magma/Digidesign branded 13Slot chassis will either Intel or Pericom chipsets and they all seem to work with PCI host card if your motherboard still has an old standard PCI or with the Magma PEHIFX1 PCIe host card.
Old 02-04-2017, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGrierson View Post
The Max number of HD cards is 7
1 HD Core and 6 Accel or Process cards
If you try to add an Eighth card in a 13 Slot chassis ProTools wont even run.

Yes I have tested this myself However you can add other cards like SampleCell or SCSI ect...

Your chassis is 64Bit so the downside to changing to a 13 Slot is that
they are 32bit so you will not get full Track count or issues recording at 192K sampling rate.

I've tested the Magma/Digidesign branded 13Slot chassis will either Intel or Pericom chipsets and they all seem to work with PCI host card if your motherboard still has an old standard PCI or with the Magma PEHIFX1 PCIe host card.

Hi! Thanks for your detailed answer. Would the Magma P13R work; i.e. have you also tested this one?
Old 02-07-2017, 05:53 AM

From my experience, the PE6R4I is the only chassis that works perfectly with Mac Pros and the PCI HD cards. It was the only one Digi/AVID ever qualified for that configuration. The magma 32-bit chassis models are a downgrade from what you have even if they have more slots and also very finicky about compatibility especially when it comes to macs.

I would just keep your PE6R4I and upgrade any of your older process cards to Accel. Accel PCI version cards are literally being given away by some people these days.

What is your bottleneck? Do you just want to run more instances of certain plugins? If you really, really, need more power, you could always sync up a second TDM system, and connect it digitally to your main system to use as an effects processor. Back in the MIX days, the max audio track count was only 64, so people would sync up a second system snd split their session up between the two to gain more track count. I don't think that's necessary with HD though, since you have 192 tracks. Most people just want access to more TDM plugins.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 02-07-2017, 08:57 AM

John

again thanks for your detailed response.

I've made my head clear with your first answer since I could only add 1 more card to the existing ones.
The reason I'd need more process cards is not to get more DSPs but to be able to add more I/Os. I'll stay with my Magma which is very reliable.

Best regards