Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 11-08-2010, 03:36 PM

Default Re: The $99 PT 9 Crossgrade for new LE hardware purchased after October 4th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Cariddi View Post
Hi guys,

Pro Tools 9 crossgrade pricing for those who recently purchased an LE 8 upgrade was incorrectly stated at the press conference.

Apologies for the confusion that this has caused. We understand the concern of those who have recently purchased the LE 8 software upgrade and now want to crossgrade to Pro Tools 9.
At this time the $249 USD crossgrade is the only option available but we are looking into whether a special offer can be made.

There will be no entitlement / grace period for recent LE system purchases. If you bought, or are considering buying an LE system before the end of the year, you will be getting the same, or better, deal compared to the new PT9 bundle prices coming in January.

We will be sure to post any changes here immediately.

Thanks,
Tony

"We will be sure to post any changes here immediately". Not to split hairs about this (and I know the statements I made) BUT.. I hope this isn't a case of Avid seeing who says screw it, I just bought a system or upgraded and I'm not (or can't) pay more for PT9? Or, let's just see how many people do "pony up" and just pay the said cost regardless of any statements made. That said, are we anticipating a "change" here or is this set in stone? I'll pay if that's the case (PT9's a good deal), but some people need to plan very carefully what their next financial purchase is (and/or if it involves more Avid products or not). Thanks Tony for clearing this up (probably not your fault) but I guess I'm not really sure why the "changes" wording had to be included. I just care about the little guy that maybe has less cash in his pocket. Take care,

Len
Old 11-08-2010, 06:08 PM

Default Re: The $99 PT 9 Crossgrade for new LE hardware purchased after October 4th

Quote:
we are looking into whether a special offer can be made.
If you do, I hope it's retrospective
Old 11-08-2010, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Hi guys,

Pro Tools 9 crossgrade pricing for those who recently purchased an LE 8 upgrade was incorrectly stated at the press conference.

Thanks,
Tony
Tony, the price was misstated TWICE. First it was free, then $99 and now $249. Really bad performance.

Who is in charge here?
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Hi guys,

Apologies for the confusion that this has caused. We understand the concern of those who have recently purchased the LE 8 software upgrade and now want to crossgrade to Pro Tools 9.
At this time the $249 USD crossgrade is the only option available but we are looking into whether a special offer can be made.

There will be no entitlement / grace period for recent LE system purchases. If you bought, or are considering buying an LE system before the end of the year, you will be getting the same, or better, deal compared to the new PT9 bundle prices coming in January.

Thanks,
Tony
This information is quite dressing epecially since we upgraded a number of LE systems lest week!
and ouch!
Old 11-09-2010, 03:12 AM

Not good for Avid - how to turn a great product launch into another PR screw-up.

I am of the mind that if it was stated and we've all seen the video then Avid should be good to their word, or at least have the courtesy to say 'we got it wrong'

Don't get me wrong I'm waxing lyrical about PT9 on the blog, but this isn't good on any level.

Founder of the Expert Sites.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:06 AM

What ever the end result of this somewhat daft situation (and Avid will end up with Egg on their faces !) the 'best' part of the video of the press conference isn't what was said ? !

When the annoucement that the up/crossgrade for purchases of LE after Oct 4th for 'Free' is made, just watch the reaction of the Pro tools guys on the Front Row !
They know that is wrong, then 'Go into a quick huddle', then stand up and correct the issue to $99 after the next question. The thing is they all know the $99 option is the correct answer, therefore it must have been disccused prior to the conference and isn't a mistake !

Like Russ said a PR screw up of the first degree.

Cheerio

Clive
Old 11-09-2010, 06:51 AM

I'm wondering if they didn't mean for it to be a $99 upgrade for those who just spent $150 upgrading to PT8. That would make the most sense. From what I understand you can jump PT8 altogether and move straight to PT9. So $249 for PT9 - $150 for recent PT8 upgrade = $99. Makes sense to me and is rather fair as anyone purchasing new interface will get PT8 in the box.

Now if they'd throw a bone to us that paid for the MPTK only to now see all the main feature incorporated in PT9.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoth View Post
If you do, I hope it's retrospective
Yeah, and retroactive, too.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussUK View Post
Not good for Avid - how to turn a great product launch into another PR screw-up.

I am of the mind that if it was stated and we've all seen the video then Avid should be good to their word, or at least have the courtesy to say 'we got it wrong'

Don't get me wrong I'm waxing lyrical about PT9 on the blog, but this isn't good on any level.
+1

I really think they should give recent purchases the $99 crossgrade option, simply because the users have not had the time to benefit from the PT8 release before PT9 was launched. Its just good business, and you are more likely to get people off 8 and get them to 9 so we can all move forward.

I dont qualify for the $99 upgrade, so Im not arguing for me, im just arguing for the best solution, Avid gave recent purchases a grace period in the past, so I think they should do the same here.

Although im sure they wont, because there would be a rush on old interfaces just to get the upgrade for $99. You could get an Mbox 2 Mini for $149 then $99 for the upgrade to PT9, so $249 and a free interface basically. Or if you are like some people, and are paranoid and never register anything for fear of being tracked, you could register your 2 year old interface then qualify for the $99 upgrade.

The upgrade is worth $249, but to someone who just spent $1199 on a new 003 just 2 weeks ago, will be put off that their purchase is now out of date, and they need to cough up another $250 to get it up to date. just my 2 cents.

PT9 is a great release, cant wait to see what else they have in store.... perhaps a new 004...

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 11-09-2010, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CME View Post
I'm wondering if they didn't mean for it to be a $99 upgrade for those who just spent $150 upgrading to PT8. That would make the most sense. From what I understand you can jump PT8 altogether and move straight to PT9. So $249 for PT9 - $150 for recent PT8 upgrade = $99. Makes sense to me and is rather fair as anyone purchasing new interface will get PT8 in the box.
This, on the surface, seems reasonable.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com