Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 07-26-2007, 11:27 PM

Default Nonstop recording. How? 4.5 hours+

I need to be able to record for 10 hours or more if necessary. Pro Tools will not let you record more than 4.5 hours, at which point I assume it stops, prompts you, then you have a chance to resume recording after some time has elapsed since the stoppage. I need to continue, not stop. Other recorders do this. How do you do this with Pro Tools? Pro Tools should automatically begin writing new files after the maximum file size has been reached. Can it do this, with no stop in recording?
Old 07-27-2007, 01:47 AM

Default Re: Nonstop recording. How? 4.5 hours+

You can´t do this with PT. A soundfile reaches the 2GB border after about 4 hours. PT doesn´t support sound-files larger than 2GB although the BWAV standard allows 4GB. In other words you won´t be able to do this in PT without losing a small amout of auido while you re-trigger the recording.

How hany tracks do you want to record?

f.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:52 AM

I've actually done this before, and as I recall, it just stops when it reaches the file limit. No big messages or warnings.. it just stops recording... so if you need this to work, you'll need to find a time when you can stop recording, and re-start every now and then. And before you actually do this... practice and see exactly how long PT takes to finish up the record process before you can start a new one.. I guess what I mean is that it may take PT a little longer to finish up whatever it does after you hit STOP on a huge gig file, that it does on a smaller one... tho I could be wrong...
Old 07-27-2007, 12:50 PM

Why do you need to record onto ProTools?

Just because post needs to be done in ProTools does not mean the BWAVs have to be recorded by ProTools.

I wouldn't trust any of the BWAV recorders currently available for running more than an hour or so. You should think about running a flip-flop system. Obviously this requires a human to operate.

Are you recording once-in-a-lifetime material? If so, I guess you're already set for double-heading?
Old 07-27-2007, 01:00 PM

Quote:
...you'll need to find a time when you can stop recording, and re-start every now and then.
Either that or hire a second rig and mult the inputs, then A/B record with an overlap, are your only real options with PT unfortunately.

Fantasy Land Feature Request :

If it were possible in a future version of PT to record arm tracks whilst the transport was rolling, you could arm duplicate tracks just before the max file length was reached for your A leg, then disarm the A tracks whilst you carry on recording the B leg on the duplicates, and so on.

Or

If it were possible in a future version of PT to open several session at once (each with optional "Localized Transport"), you could have an A session and a B session, and do the hand over very easily.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:49 PM

Is Video going to be shot as well as audio?
if so just stop and start the recording when new a new tape needs to be put in

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 07-27-2007, 03:02 PM

are there any natural breaks in the performance .. or what are you recording for that long .. curious ???

overlapping recording should work fine ..
or i have seen some peeps using alesis HD24's ... they can record a huge amount of data on a 200 or 300 gig drive ..

24 tracks only on the HD24's ...

you have not said how many tracks you need or what sample rate you would be capturing at ...

cheers

john

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 07-27-2007, 03:40 PM

i wouldnt be using ANY of the above systems. The only trustable system on recordings of this length is Radar. Reason ? - well, wait until someone kicks a power chord out - you'll lose everything. You wont with Radar. Its the main reason why we use Radar when recording live concerts. When it does fall down (rare unless someone flips out the power) you only lose whats going on whilst you're down.
Old 07-28-2007, 05:18 PM

Quote:
i wouldnt be using ANY of the above systems. The only trustable system on recordings of this length is Radar. Reason ? - well, wait until someone kicks a power chord out - you'll lose everything. You wont with Radar. Its the main reason why we use Radar when recording live concerts. When it does fall down (rare unless someone flips out the power) you only lose whats going on whilst you're down.
That's right. RADAR beats Pro Tools. And RADAR is a system that is old and upgraded via third party entities. This makes Pro Tools look bad and unreliable. About the number of tracks, it could be 24 or 96, but with Pro Tools too many things must be monitored and could go wrong, and even with just one track, it stops after 4.5 hours. Digi must address this weakness in system operation.
Old 07-29-2007, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Quote:
That's right. RADAR beats Pro Tools. And RADAR is a system that is old and upgraded via third party entities. This makes Pro Tools look bad and unreliable. About the number of tracks, it could be 24 or 96, but with Pro Tools too many things must be monitored and could go wrong, and even with just one track, it stops after 4.5 hours. Digi must address this weakness in system operation.
Even if PT supported the full 4GB BWAV specification that would still only give you 8 hours at48k/24bit. not 10 or more. It´s a limitation by the file standard not the application. They would have to invent a new file-format or use CAF files or RIFF64 files

frank.