Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2005, 03:50 PM

Default Inserting A Plug-In

everytime i insert a third party plug-in on a track i get a buzz coming through my monitors(even when they are turned down all the way). has anyone experienced this before?

im using: digi001, PT LE 6.4 with the cs9 update installed. and windows xp service pack 2.

....im going to be upset if this is a service pack 2 issue, cause i could of swore that i read on hear that if you have service pack 2 and cs9 installed everything is alright.

ive never experienced the problem with service pack 1. what are everyones thoughts????
Old 01-25-2005, 05:18 PM

Default Re: Inserting A Plug-In

ok, now its happens with every plug-in......
Old 01-25-2005, 07:28 PM

I have never heard of this ever. Could it be something other than plugins? Does it hum if the plugins are bypassed? I will make no assumptions here, but if you are using cracked plugins, that is likely the problem. If not, I would uninstall everything and re-install. Re-boot after each item is installed(as in: install PT>reboot, install cs9>reboot, install 3rd party plugin pack>reboot, install next 3rd party plugin pack>reboot). I know this sounds tedious, but if you do this and test after each item/package is installed, you may find the culprit and can hit that manufacturer for a replacement. Comsider putting in a new system drive and do a fresh load of everything(keep the old drive on a shelf untill you have a perfect working system-then ghost from the working drive and you have a backup). I have a 40 gig drive with a full load of PT6.1, a second spare with a full load of PT6.4 sitting on a shelf. If I have a crash, I am back to work in 10 minutes.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-25-2005, 08:03 PM

hi albee,
thanks for your reply. before i installed service pack 2 and cs9 i have had no such problem. i was very skeptical to install service pack 2, because of all the posts that i have read about problems or not being compatiable at all. but i was under the impression that if you installed the cs9 update. everything would be fine. i guess i was wrong, i have now read that it is only for users that have 002r and 002 with 6.4 i believe, i dont think ive seen anywhere saying anything about 001 with 6.4.

the only reason im using service pack 2 is because the disc i have service pack 1 on is cracked, i dunno how that happened(kinda pisses me off). but ive also noticed a performance decrease as well. or ive noticed something different before there was even any instance of pro tools or plug-ins on my computer. just doesnt seem the same as it used to be with service pack 1. i dont like it.

anyway, i will try your suggestions...and get back to you. thanks again!
Old 01-25-2005, 09:36 PM

ok....update. let me add that i now have this problem whether a plug-in is on a track or not. and it gets slighty worse when adding one to a track. here is what i've done:

-ive uninstalled third party plugs

-ive uninstalled service pack 2

-uninstalled pro tools and reinstalled

-checked to make sure my cables were the right cable(instrument not speaker, my monitors are powered)

-tried different cables

-ive moved my monitors farther away from things that could interfer with them causing noises

..and the problem is still not solved. i reinstalled pro tools without any third party plug-ins or service pack 2. i put 6.1 on just to see if i still had the problem. and i do.

so im concluding at this point it's either the monitors, or the monitor outs on the 001. most likely the monitors, just because i still get output from pro tools and it doesnt seem like the actual signal is affected. although the buzzing is still there whether im playing back something or not, and when i unhook the cable the buzz goes away. so i dont know.......

but i have a friend that has a 001, ill have to give him a call, and he can bring a monitor to my place and i can go over there with one of mine and maybe we can figure this out. until then. i think ive done all i can do. ill update tomorrow sometime......later