Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 02-13-2004, 10:45 AM

Default When is it time to quit?

some of you whom I am close to know I have the most horrid dayjob that has been the single most painful source of misery in my world. I have been dying to quit for a long time, and the worse it gets here, the more I want to.
But I am selling my house and buying one with a bigger basement to finally have a legitmate recording facility other than my converted den. I just cant run anything anymore professionally in my den anymore, its jsut not working for me.
In the meantime, I am having to turn down work, and the paying projects I am working on are sucking the life out of me because they come on top of stressful workdays and long hours of drudgery. It's getting more and more difficult to put on the smiley hi-I-am-your-best-friend-engineer face and go to work.
This week in fact, with my bloodpressure surging I almost walked straight out of this place into the unknowns of unemployment. I literally lost my mind because of my job.
But I am trying so hard to stay the course, get moved, and then go all out seeking as much recording work as I can from anywhere I can...
I guess that I just need to vent, but I imagine that there are some other of my friends here that are going through the same thing I am, or maybe who have already gotten past that phase and are already working for themselves. I obviously have to try to wait until I am relocated, and the bank is satisfied with my employement history, but guys, my patience is wearing thinner than this normally patient and easy going guy can handle. I am a very "driven" kind of guy... intense and focused on my goal, but its a leap. I have gotten cold and strong hanging onto the end of the rope for so long, and I am so ready to just let go and take the plunge come hell or high water.
How do you cope? When is it time to say screw this, and I am out of here? When is it time to quit the day job from hell?
Anyone else out there in this boat with me?
My goal is June to be working for myself. I have it all planned out for the most part. Can I make it though?
Thanks for letting me have yet another online nervous breakdown, but I got more friends who understand this stuff right here on the DUC than I do in real life, so I guess I am looking for some support.

Or should I seek professional help before I go crazy?
Old 02-13-2004, 11:02 AM

Default Re: When is it time to quit?

Well,
I don't have any experience that can help you, but I think you should hang tough until June. Mark days on your calender, and every morning when you get up say, "today I will take a small step toward my goal, worry only about today and take it one day at a time."

My 2 cents. Congrats on your new house, and all the best when you quit your job. I'm sure you'll do great.

bp
Old 02-13-2004, 11:15 AM

1- what is your day job? Is it the job or the environment that you hate? If its the evnvironment, thats easier to change with a good resumé. If its the work, thats different.

2- I quit my job 19 years ago and opened up my own office. I did a lot of free and promotional work to build up a portfolio and reputation. I made nothing in the first year, did OK in year 2. By year 3 I was earning 5x my original salary when employed. Of course life was easier for me - I lived at home - no wife, kids, mortgage etc. I haven't looked back.

3- my 46 year old brother quit work this year - marketing manager. He thought that with his network, he'd be picking and choosing clients. To date (6 months later) just a couple of small contracts. Couple months of begging, he landed a doozy and doubled his salary overnite. Now he's finding a partner, an office and he LOVES a job he hated when he was an employee.

4- when people hear me sing, they say "dont quit your day job"
-HD I/O 8x8x8. -HD Omni -Avid S3

-API 2500 -API 5500 -UA 2-1176 -UA 2-610
-Neve 1073, Chandler LTD-1 -Eventide H8000FW -Lexicon PCM96
-Bricasti M7. -Joe Meek channel.

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12
Old 02-13-2004, 11:16 AM

Silence,
I know where your coming from. Same here.
My wife just got laid off and now the pressure is on me to
keep the day job going. It doesn't mean I have to stay with the same job however.
Don't let depression get you. The docs have drugs for that.
You must have some options.

Old 02-13-2004, 11:36 AM

I guess digi disnt like my comment
bottom line,
dont quit until you arent getting treated your legal rights.
Old 02-13-2004, 11:50 AM

Hey Ben..what were you trying to say? Were you cursing on the DUC again? lol...
I honestly cant wait to cuss out several people, and tell them to shove it, do a couple of donuts in the parking lot with my middle finger flying high out the window. That'll show'em.
NGNEER, dude... sounds like your boss is a true jackass. I think you need to fire him...It does go to show that just working "in the business" doesnt guarantee happiness, or comfort. I hope you can find your way out of that post house and into your own place, and get away from that ********* boss you got.
Old 02-13-2004, 11:40 AM

Its the type of work I do, and the environment I work in that makes it miserable. I got no one to blame but myself for winding up here, but it just gets progressivily worse and worse as the days roll by.
I am going to tough it out for the time being.. no choice really.
Thanks for the advice... badperson, you seem such the peaceful guy! I think I might do the calender countdown. That might get me lit up and ready to go.
What type of work do you do there Cliffy? I certainly dont expect to double my salary recording bands and church-ladies, but it sure would be nice.
And swap, man.. sorry to hear about your wife, and I understand the pressure you are under. Hang in there buddy.. better days are coming for the both of us!
Old 02-13-2004, 11:47 AM

Silence,

You're not alone...there are a lot of people I'm sure on the DUC and elsewhere that are in a similar situation. I can speak for myself and say that finding another employer and a different working environment has made a big difference for me. I don't take my work home with me anymore. It doesn't affect my playing or my relationships with friends/family/clients. My bosses are cool, trust me to do my job, and I'm not busy cleaning up other people's messes who don't know what the heck they're doing. It's bad enough that we can't do this full time, but then to have to work a day job that sucks is torture. But if you can find a day gig that you can tolerate, it does take the economic pressure off of having to depend on an unstable/ensteady business for income. You'll know when the time is right to break off and do your thing, once you get rolling I'm sure things will be fine. Hang in there...

Chris
Old 02-13-2004, 12:05 PM

Silence,
Alright, I hear ya and have a few suggestions because I am going through the same deal.

First: A little background on me that not too many know. I am a project manager for the second largest Defense Contractor in the world. (Names will be withheld) I work day to day at either Defense Intelligence Agency, or the Pentagon, or all other 3 letter agencies around the DC area fixing servers to say the least In reality, it is a HUGE job, and funds the studio for the most part. BUT IT IS BORING! Unfortunanately with the job market the way it is these days, I am hard pressed to just pack up and call it a day myself. NOW! With a clearance, it makes things a bit easier, but it still sucks. I leave a job, but have to settle for another job similar due to the location, cost of living, security clearance, etc.

NOW...... The good part! The studio! My "Escape from Defense Contractor Hell!" as I call it. It goes on really every night and has been picking up business monthly. I do it because I love it and it make me happy. Now I may not be the greatest engineer on the planet, but I can dish it with the rest of them I think? It is a hobby that has turned profitable, and that is how I am treaing it. I do it at night and it passes the time. My wife supports it so that is a plus.

Here is an idea for you: Keep your job, make the best of it and build the studio with the money from that. Make yourself a SOLE PROPRIETOR TOO! (Major write-offs) Use the time at night to develope the customer base and grow from there. See the demand for STUDIO recordings in your area, and BUY GOOD STUFF! Save that extra $300 bucks to get a really nice Preamp instead of one that the "OTHER STUDIO" may have. Get the quality of the recordings where "YOU" want it to be. Do a couple jobs for a lower cost, or self promote by judging a band competition and offer a few hours of recording time as a prize. I did that when I first got rolling and it really has paid off. Advertise on local INFORMATIONAL websites. In DC they hace www.DCpages.com and I put my site there. The studio site gets hit almost daily from it. Put up flyers at the local college and put them in the MUSIC department. I walked through 3 campuses and promoted that way. Landed 4 bands who wanted to do a DEMO. DO NOT Sell yourself cheap, but be reasonable at first until your name is out, and WORK with your first bands on their projects. Do not do it just for the $$$ Money $$$. It the mix is not right, and the price was set, work it until it is the way you would want it. Think about your name in this. You do not want it to be smeared about because you did not care when the stuff was mixed. I get bands in that I cannot stand, but still work with them to make it right.

I really cannot stress that it is possible to do, but will take time to get it going, and a bit of money. Gotta spend to make though ya know.

The day job sucks, and I hear ya on that! Be happy that you have a job that allows you to do this though.

Just some things to think about, and I hope that it helps you out some!

OH YA! Enjoy the 3 day weekend too!

Drink a BEER!

-Doc

MONUMENT SOUND ON YOUTUBE

Monument Sound Facebook

"Changing how people hear music one track at a time"
Old 02-13-2004, 11:36 AM

Hi Stone:

I can really feel your pain.... no really I work in what was a post house when I came here three years ago. I've seen my boss destroy his relationships with his clients. He is a tyrant of the first order and insists on micromanaging everything despite the fact that he knows nothing and is practically deaf. What I have done is to start a small company with a partner and also do consulting on the side. My boss has anounced that he intends to sell the business and move to sarasota Florida between June and December. Meanwhile I am working ten hours a day with no lunch no breaks and plenty of interference. He has refused to learn the language of the industry and believes he is allways right depite being told by clients that he's wrong. Then he will simply blame whatever it is on me. If the computer crashes it's my fault. If he can't find an MD that he recorded when I was at home it's my fault. If he doesn't plan to complete a project by a specified date and suddenly he realises it's due in two hours and it's two days work, it's my fault. Of course the upgrades and the increase in workflo by about 70% by using certain software applications and the design of compuer based systems to select and utilise sound effects and the huge quantity of music we have was of course his doing because as you can imagine the dum SO_ can't even turn on a computer. and all the hours of research I did at home on my own time was just one more of the things I have done around here while this fattened pig lives high on the hog and leaves me the scraps. So believe me I know what you mean. The clients those that he hasn't driven of by overcharging them or charging thier accounts several times sll love working with me and all aknowledge that his demeanor is problematic..any way you get the point. I'm lookin' to make a move.