Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio

Old 01-13-2020, 03:51 PM

Default Re: MTRX-> HDX or MTRX->Dante

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonx1 View Post
I think there needs to be a dante only monitor mixer. Just a eucon device that can make monitor mixes for the talent from dante streams. The SQ-5 seems like over kill but might be the best solution I have heard so far.
https://www.rme-usa.com/digiface-dante.html

You can do this with MIDI, OSC, and their touchpad app.
If they get pressed to add Eucon, that would be the solution.
Old 01-13-2020, 04:06 PM

Quote:
I think there needs to be a dante only monitor mixer. Just a eucon device that can make monitor mixes for the talent from dante streams. The SQ-5 seems like over kill but might be the best solution I have heard so far.
I asked a vendor about this at AES last year. They said that because of the Dante chipset licensing cost (to support the N:2 mixer) it would likely be too expensive.
Old 01-13-2020, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
https://www.rme-usa.com/digiface-dante.html

You can do this with MIDI, OSC, and their touchpad app.
If they get pressed to add Eucon, that would be the solution.
Yeah RME is the best. Seems expensive just to get monitor mixes but maybe another good option.
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 01-15-2020, 02:00 PM

Anyone ever use Anubis from Merging? I think this fills in the gap for me.
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 01-15-2020, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Anyone ever use Anubis from Merging? I think this fills in the gap for me.
I was actually going to suggest Anubis for this but it uses Ravenna not Dante. I don't know enough but I don't think every Dante device supports AES67? Depends on the chipset and firmware right? Anubis is like a hub/controller so you'd still need extra hardware for more outputs than 4.

It does seem like there should be a simpler solution here. MOTU has some but they use AVB....
Old 01-15-2020, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfyou View Post
I was actually going to suggest Anubis for this but it uses Ravenna not Dante. I don't know enough but I don't think every Dante device supports AES67? Depends on the chipset and firmware right? Anubis is like a hub/controller so you'd still need extra hardware for more outputs than 4.

It does seem like there should be a simpler solution here. MOTU has some but they use AVB....
Ravenna/AES67 will interoperate with newer Dante firmware but only at 48kHz.

I've been using the KLANG:quelle, works great except you'll have to organise your own headphone mixes in Pro Tools as it doesn't have a mixer.

The PreSonus EarMix looks good, no AVB card for the MTRX though
Old 01-18-2020, 11:09 AM

Quote:

Well, any digital mixer that can take a Dante card would work. The SQ-5 is "more than enough" for this application. I upgraded to it from a Midas M32. I wanted to work at 96Khz, and this change enabled me to do so across the studio. But for work at 48Khz, one of the rack mounted mixers from A&H or Behringer that can take a Dante card would work for this.

But if one already has HDX, then I presume one would just do the monitor mixes on the HDX card.

Given that I'm not on HDX yet, the SQ-5 makes monitor mixes a dream - all done in HW at HW latency (not much), and there is a control surface, and tablet apps. Musicians can adjust their own monitor mix from phones or tablets. It's pretty convenient that way. Obviously, there is the downside of space, extra gear, etc. But this has been working for me for two years (first Midas M32, now SQ-5).

HDX costs roughly what a good digital mixer and Dante card does. Getting a Dock or S-1's to give tactile control is extra. But, then the tactile control also extends to mix, which I don't get out of the A&H. Avid doesn't make it cheap, but it is barely more expensive than cobbling it together other ways, and no other DAW environment offers the same integrated possibilities.

The new MTRX Studio looks quite appealing. In one sense it is more expensive than a very comparable Focusrite box, but it includes the speaker calibration stuff, and has DAD quality conversion. All, in all an attractive package.
Old 04-21-2020, 01:07 PM

Armyoflight ''The new MTRX Studio looks quite appealing. In one sense it is more expensive than a very comparable Focusrite box, but it includes the speaker calibration stuff, and has DAD quality conversion. All, in all an attractive package''.

Would the MTRX Studio compete in regards to overall cost and function compared to say a base level MTRX with Dante Card installed.

Regards
Old 04-21-2020, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrelandM View Post
Armyoflight ''The new MTRX Studio looks quite appealing. In one sense it is more expensive than a very comparable Focusrite box, but it includes the speaker calibration stuff, and has DAD quality conversion. All, in all an attractive package''.

Would the MTRX Studio compete in regards to overall cost and function compared to say a base level MTRX with Dante Card installed.
The base MTRX doesn't have any analog I/O, and it would still be more expensive than the MTRX Studio with a Dante card (albeit not by much). Choosing the base version over the Studio in this configuration would make sense if you only needed Dante now, but planned to expand down the track. In any other case, it wouldn't make sense (to me at least).

Case in point: I have the MTRX with pretty much the same I/O configuration as the MTRX Studio. Would I choose it again now? Probably not (although I do like the AES I/O).
Old 04-22-2020, 10:15 AM

''Case in point: I have the MTRX with pretty much the same I/O configuration as the MTRX Studio. Would I choose it again now? Probably not (although I do like the AES I/O)''.

I have considered upgrading to a base MRTX with Dante card would the optional AES I/O card be required to use AES67 Ravenna or going the MTRX Studio route with a Dante Controller/Dante Via software.

Luke ''Would I choose it again now probably not'' like to explain via the forum or through email.

Regards