Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2009, 05:55 PM

Default Question about Satellite Link

Is anyone syncing multiple systems with Satellite link? If so, how's it working?

Is it possible to use this to sync a system in another city? Meaning, I press play in LA and the machine in Houston starts at the same time?

Thanks,
Jamey
IMDB
Old 02-20-2009, 08:15 PM

Default Re: Question about Satellite Link

I am using it to run multiple systems but as far as I know they have to be on the same subnet, so I don't think you can sync (yet!) over the internet. To get sync both systems have to be sync locked anyway with a Sync I/O and common Blackburst to get near sample sync. This would preclude accurate sync as well as Internet latency. But as far as remotely controlling a system when you press Play on one the other follows, then I am sure in the future this may be possible (there would be problems if you sent audio from one system to the other (al la Source Connect) but that could be overcome. But at the moment No go I am afraid.
However, in a studio situation, it rocks. We just finished Mixing the music for a Film called "Knowing" and the playback and Mix system we linked via Satellite link and it was perfect, no sync problems at all and the new workflow that this afforded us was brilliant.
my 2c
Simon L.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:36 PM

Jamey,
We are using Satellite Link and Satellite LE.
They are EXCELLENT!! Great duo!!!
Changed the way we work. They lock up under
10 frames!!!
I am a HUGE FAN!!!
IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401937/
Like everything in life, there are no guarantees just opportunities.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IO Composer View Post
...s it possible to use this to sync a system in another city? Meaning, I press play in LA and the machine in Houston starts at the same time?...
For internet link of 2 ProTools, with a couple of milliseconds lag, you can use MIDI Time Code that you route trough a VPN (I wasn't able to make it work without a VPN, it doesn't mean it's not possible). All the networking software, exept the VPN, is in the Audio Midi Setup of Mac OS X under the Network icon. My average lag was 3 ms in Montréal.

Only MIDI and MIDI Time Code are sent. You would need to send the audio before that. But it's nice if you want to review a mix. And since MIDI data is small, you can use iChat to talk to the other studio.

I never tried this, but: You can even play on your MIDI keyboard and it will play on a VI in the other studio. It should play in sync as long as the keyboard is on the master system (the one that generate the Time Code).

JC
Old 02-21-2009, 09:29 AM

Thanks much for the replies.

JC - that's pretty much what I was thinking... I use VPNs all of the time to log into my remote client networks, though I don't know about setting up a VPN on their system... I'll have to see if they're savvy enough to work that out.

For local sync, I've been syncing my 2 HD systems with MTC via MOLcp. Works fine though there is a slight lag. I may check out Satellite Link and see if that lag tightens up a bit.

Cheers,
Jamey
IMDB