Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI

Old 03-12-2008, 06:09 PM

Default Newby MIDI playback problem - no audio during playback

My hardware setup is PT LE, Mbox mini, Yamaha PSR 230 MIDI keyboard connected to Windows XP system via Roland/Edirol UM-1 USB MIDI interface. I created a MIDI track, set the input to the keyboard, and can record the MIDI input without problem. I can see the MIDI data in the track, and during playback I can see the record levels jump. My problem is that I can not hear any of the MIDI audio during playback.

Based on the beginners DVD I watched, I believe I need to add an AUX or instrument track, add Reason to this track (not sure how), and then direct the MIDI track output to the Reason track.

I tried the above, and tried every combination I could think of for the input and output of both the MIDI and AUX tracks, but no sound... I assume my monitor is setup properly, because if I add an audio track and record from my guitar (through the Mbox mini input 1), it plays back fine.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Eric
Old 03-12-2008, 06:41 PM

Default Re: Newby MIDI playback problem - no audio during playback

Quote:
My problem is that I can not hear any of the MIDI audio during playback.
This is a common mistake that new users make. There is no such thing as "MIDI audio".

MIDI can really be described as "electronic sheet music". The MIDI data that you have recorded is the sheet music. The Computer is the musician that is reading the sheet music. What instrument is that musician playing? Unless you define that, no music will be produced by the "musician".

Instruments for MIDI can be either hardware or software. You can use either one for the instrument that you want the computer to play, but you still need to select and configure the instrument so that the "musician" knows which instrument to play.

When you play your PSR, you are probably hearing sounds, correct? If those sounds are the sounds that you want Pro Tools to play (that is the "instrument" you want he "computer musician" to play), then you need to hook up the unit correctly to do so;
  • (MIDI cables in both directions, from PSR MIDI output to UM-1 MIDI in, and from UM-1 MIDI output to PSR MIDI in, and then audio cables from the audio outs of the PSR to the mBox inputs
  • those inputs selected an aux or instrument track
  • set the MIDI output of the track to be the port that is connected to the PSR MIDI input

If you want to use Reason as the "instrument", then you need to set it up correctly as well. I have a few tutorials on how to use Reason on my website, as well as a few other tutorials that you might find useful and informative as a self-proclaimed "newbie".

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 03-12-2008, 09:05 PM

Default Re: Newby MIDI playback problem - no audio during playback

spkguitar,

Your reply was extremely helpful. Makes perfect sense, and my problem is now solved.

Thanks!