Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 03-28-2015, 06:53 PM

Default HDX and license

Ok I am way confused on HD users options here. I paid a pretty penny for HDX and I upgraded to 11 awhile back. Its just now become usable in my opinion.

From what I am gathering from reading that you own a perpetual license for 11. I am happy on 11 for now and do not want to go to 12. It offers absolutely nothing I need as far as features go. I don't need cloud collaboration. Its useless for me. I have wetransfer! I upgrade once every two years. In my opinion avid does not make a version usable until later in the software versions life anyways. Very crucial bugs in 11 for a good while. Beat detective was unusable for awhile in 11. Pretty crucial to my work flow.

Here are my questions.

1. If I go to 12 annually for 599.00 Do I surrender my bought license for 11 HD? But when the year runs out it shuts off? Or do I always own 11HD?

2. If I don't upgrade by the end of 2015 to 12 then I can never upgrade my 11HD to anything else? Confused here. What are my options if I let my 11HD license go past the 2015 date? Is my 8k hardware bricked for any future software? Or can I subscribe to an annual plan?

3. What bought options will HD users have if we want to say buy 12 or buy 13 and own it? Do we pay full price or is it just off the table completely?

AVID you guys are really scaring me with this. Surely you guys have a plan for us folks that paid thousands for your hardware.

I love protools but I need to know you are looking out for us that poured a lot of cash into your hardware and have been loyal to you. HD users need a clear path on this software stuff.

I feel like im being forced to upgrade to 12 and I am surrendering my owned software for an annual subscriptions that runs out?! That's just crazy. Rented software should in no means make you not own something you bought. What If I want to resell it?

I hope this is not the case. Please explain someone. Thank you
Old 03-29-2015, 03:56 AM

Default Re: HDX and license

Ok so basically my new understanding is that if i dont upgrade to 12 by a certain time my software becomes un upgradable. My only choices at that point are subscriptions.

So my perpetual license for my hardware will always be the version i let lapse. This devalues my hardware. There is literally less incentive now to buy hd hardware. The resell will be way low.

I hope this policy evolves guys. I feel very betrayed and dissapointed. Hopefully a more sensitible plan for hd users will come.

599 for 12 is not a good upgrade for me. It offers nothing for me. Cloud collaboration is utterly useless to me. To force me to uggrade to it or risk letting my hd software become un upgradable is insane. A reasonbale way to skip versions for hd users just makes sense and people that poured thousands into hardware should have the choice.

As it sits this is just bad. Gonna swith to cubase if this policy does not change.its 524 for full version and upgrades max are 299.00. I have more flexsbiliy to upgrade later down the road and not yearly. Im a every 2 year guy. I feel like it does not get stable until later versions. Most certainly the case with protools.
Old 03-29-2015, 01:41 PM

I feel your pain. Just did what you are thinking about because I feel the same way. If you buy a support plan, you can't sell your hardware either.

Head over to the PT 12 forum.
Mac Pro 6.1, E5-2690 V2 10 core 3.0G, 32gig 1866 memory, 512G PCIe system drive, 4 480G OWC 3G SSD data drives in Thunderbolt 2 enclosure, macOS 10.15.7, Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.9.1, Twin Raven MTi's, Apollo 8 TB, 2 UAD2 Satellite Octo Thunderbolt, RME ADI-4 DD, Neve 5012, 5043, Bricasti M7, 2 PCM 92's, M350, DynAudio BM6 MK 3, BM14S, a bunch of cool mics...1 damned iLok2.
Old 03-29-2015, 02:29 PM

The policy on HD is still not released. We don't know if we will have the option to buy back in or not. They have also not stated if they will have a subscription plan for HD. We just really don't know. They also have not stated the permanent policy on transferring HD hardware/software yet either. They have hinted in Q2 which is April-June somewhere for a time frame of announcement.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 03-29-2015, 08:12 PM

I guess we will find out. Its obvious they want people to pay subscriptions.

I just feel like we deserve something for spend a fortune on hardware. I traded my tdm system and still paid 8k for my hdx rig.

Now i gotta stay current or lose my ability to upgrade? 600 is 50 a month for hd software. I paid 8k to spend 50 a month forever?!?

Not a good deal. Will be time to switch daws if this policy isnt changed for hd users.

549 for cubase and very reasonable upgrade prices. i love protools bit im not paying 50 a month to use it. Not when i spent 8k.
Old 04-05-2015, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanonbass View Post
I paid 8k to spend 50 a month forever?!?

Not a good deal. .
And if you think it's going to stay at $50.00/month forever, I have a bridge to sell you....

Avid has really messed this whole thing up. As an HDX user, I see no reason to move to 12, even if it had all the "coming soon" features now. But the "not knowing" is taking its toll.

I've always thought Avid had far too many software/hardware options available... I remember when Jobs went back to Apple. 2 laptops...(Macbook, MacBook Pro) and 2 desktops. (iMac, and PowerMac). Although Apple has clearly strayed from that very basic idea, Avid as embraced complication to the nth degree, further complicating their current subscription mess.

There simply is no excuse for not having everything ready to roll out at once, from cheap monthly subscriptions, to the policy for HDX users.