Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)

Old 09-10-2007, 04:15 AM

Default HELP! M-Audio Project Mix+Intel Quad6600+PTMP7.3=Distortion!

Hi I have just rebuilt my PC for PTMP7.3
I have M-Audio Project Mix+ Intel Quad6600 Cpu, Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R M/Board, 2GB Ocz 8ooMhz,520W Trust PSU,Xpert Vision 8600GTS 512Mb/128Bit/Gddr3 GFX Card,2 x 320GB Seagate SataII HDD, Windows XP Pro SPK2.Reason3,Guitar Rig2.

Firstly I do not overclock anything so that has been disabled in bios.
When I set a guitar track on Project Mix, there is tons of digital distortion and i cant record!!
I have just spent a load of money buying all these new componants and I cant record!
I checked a mix, I had done and its handling it fine, the CPU load for PTMP7.3 is way low which is great as it's a Intel Quad!

Secondly, I am getting a audio message from the motherboard saying 'Warning,Warning!'
IN Easy Tune (the m/board health check program) it shows that the CPU-SYSTEM temps are 52oC and 57oC.It also says PWR1-CPU temps are 27oC and 31oC.

Also are these normal temps for Seagate SataII 32OGB HDD; Temps are 46oC and 47oC

Can anyone help me out here as I am in the middle of recording and cant get to finish my song till
I get this sorted out. Thank you to fellow digi-friends for all advise past and presnt.
Ricky.
[email protected]
Old 09-17-2007, 12:26 AM

Default Re: HELP! M-Audio Project Mix+Intel Quad6600+PTMP7.3=Distort

Hey ya!

I have the GA-P35DS3P as mobo, CPU C2D E4300, 3 GB Ram, Audiophile 2496. Everything working fine.

Just had some bad experience with Easytune, got rid of that, cause it's sending signals over the pci bus or so. At least, I had experienced audio crackles and all sorts of issues with this bugger . I'd recommend using Everest for checking Temps etc. Doesn't install a "dirty" (=no driver at all) driver at all.

For your guitar issues: did you use the Hi-Z input of the Project Mix at the left front corner?

As far as the temp check goes: 46oC and 47oC seem realistic for the HD drives, but it would probably be good to think about some cooling. I have 2 Samsung HDD in one cage in my Chieftec case, temp about 27 to 30 oC.

Concerning CPU temp: I don't get what the PWR1 Temps mean. What CPU cooler are you using? Check the BIOS for the warning temps, you can set the CPU warning temps to about 62 or 60 oC.

Greets

Tommy
Old 09-17-2007, 06:14 AM

Thanks rockabillyguitar!, Yes i have tried the hi Z input on front left of project/mix and all other inputs for guitar and I get the same digital distortion problem. I have called M-Audio support twice and emailed them. They said it most likely is a conflicting problem with my Firwire setup in Device Manager/IRQ details.

So i tried to email him my Device Manager/IRQ details as a snagit jpeg but that was a nightmare, have not heard back from them yet about how to email them properly the details they need so that I can get down to what buying all this expensive pc equipment is all about Being Creative!! But i haven't been creative in over a month due to constant problems with this setup.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:53 AM

Default Re: HELP! M-Audio Project Mix+Intel Quad6600+PTMP7.3=Distortion!

i have encounter this problem with one of my client's setup as well.

solved the problem by adding an additional firewire card
try buying a 1394 pci card.

it could be the same fault.

the onboard firewire
Old 09-17-2007, 01:28 PM

I know there's an XP hotfix available for multi-core processors, that may help out.

Also, you'll want a FireWire card w/ a Texas Instruments chipset, the on-board firewire ports are almost always inadequate to run an audio interface on.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:19 PM

Quote:

Hi I have just rebuilt my PC for PTMP7.3
I have M-Audio Project Mix+ Intel Quad6600 Cpu, Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R M/Board, 2GB Ocz 8ooMhz,520W Trust PSU,Xpert Vision 8600GTS 512Mb/128Bit/Gddr3 GFX Card,2 x 320GB Seagate SataII HDD, Windows XP Pro SPK2.Reason3,Guitar Rig2.

Firstly I do not overclock anything so that has been disabled in bios.
When I set a guitar track on Project Mix, there is tons of digital distortion and i cant record!!
I have just spent a load of money buying all these new componants and I cant record!
I checked a mix, I had done and its handling it fine, the CPU load for PTMP7.3 is way low which is great as it's a Intel Quad!

Secondly, I am getting a audio message from the motherboard saying 'Warning,Warning!'
IN Easy Tune (the m/board health check program) it shows that the CPU-SYSTEM temps are 52oC and 57oC.It also says PWR1-CPU temps are 27oC and 31oC.

Also are these normal temps for Seagate SataII 32OGB HDD; Temps are 46oC and 47oC

Can anyone help me out here as I am in the middle of recording and cant get to finish my song till
I get this sorted out. Thank you to fellow digi-friends for all advise past and presnt.
Ricky.
[email protected]

what chipset of 1394 does gigabyte ds3r uses?
don't mind sharing?
Old 09-19-2007, 03:12 AM

Hi,Its a IEEE 1394a firewire adapter that I have not onboard (forgot to mention)The box says its (PI394A-2000 & OCHI SPEC v1/V1.1 compliant) The thing is that the firewire adapter worked fine on old pc setup, no digital distortion, pops & clicks.

The guys from Avid/ M-Audio says its a conflict with the firewire IRQ and my other IRQ.
In Bios Firewire IRQ is set to 7, but in WinXP/Pro it says its IRQ20.I have done all the things
Avid/ M-Audio suggested like take 1394a adapter out PC, restart, close, put back in other PCI slot,restart etc but no change, still getting pops and clicks.

I am now reformating Cdrive, installing different versions of Win Xp Pro and restarting again from scratch.

Can anyone tell me when usin Reason with Project Mix and PTMP7.3 on winXP Pro, whats the correct
audio settings for audio device panel? Do Reason use motherboard audio card or does it use the Project Mix audio card for midi?

A lot of times I feel everything is not explained enough in the M-audio/Protools manuals for correct setup with windows XP, as one click and you can easily muck configs up.

Thanks for the advice so far folks, All in the name of making good music!!
Old 09-19-2007, 05:29 AM

you should not be using your computer sound card. everything un used are recommended to be disable to aviod further conflicts.

in this case i suggest that you disable your onboard sound card.
And try the firewire onboard. maybe it works.
take out your firewire card which you had previously use. since the onboard has a firewire. by adding another will actually complicate the matter.

remember these 2 steps
- try the onboard and remove the pci card fw
- try the fw pci card and disable the onboard fw

good luck dude. tell me you results.

ya felt the support of m-audio rather f*** up. not enough information.
No better support from company.

i solved everything myself...
Old 09-20-2007, 07:15 AM

Hi, The GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R do not have onboard Firewire. I have took out the Firewire adapter,
restarted etc, but no difference.B
The chipset for the m/board is Northbridge: Intel® P35 Express Chipset
Southbridge: Intel® ICH9R

I am going to buy a new Firewire adapter that is Texas Instrument Chipset,I am now looking in shops in Glasgow, but the choice is crap! The guy from M-audio says that it's got to be that kind.

Hopefully that will sort it, As this has been far from a nice experience nor cheap either.
Thanks so far I'll let you know.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:15 PM

pal,

via chipset 6407 and 6406 for the firewire is already good enough.

i also just found out TI doesn't have and firewire cards in the market.

So for additional pci card. look for via 6407. they are decent enough.

No hicups.

I solved the problem using a 6406 version of via chipset

can try.
it's supposing to be cheap. like less than 20 euros from my place.

oh yeah. forget about m-audio support or any support from digidesign. they s**k anyway !
too much money making and least solution solving and support from firmware and developments.
"ka ching" is more of what they can think of. sell by marketing and least product and service quality

this is the world now.

sad to say