Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2011, 06:20 PM

Default Mac Mini Server i7 2.0 Quad

Getting ready to buy the Mac Mini Server for Pro Tools 9 but just read something about Pro Tools not acting well with the hyper-threading feature of an i7 and that with Lion, it cannot be turned off.

Does anyone have this setup? Any insight about hyper-threading, is it really a problem for Pro Tools 9?

(I am currently running Pro Tools 9.0.5 on a MBP with 10.7.1 with no problems, so I am assuming I'll be safe running Lion on the Mac Mini Server).
Old 09-12-2011, 06:36 PM

Question Re: Mac Mini Server i7 2.0 Quad

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebB View Post
(I am currently running Pro Tools 9.0.5 on a MBP with 10.7.1 with no problems, so I am assuming I'll be safe running Lion on the Mac Mini Server).
There are differences in the Server OS. That's why it's called Server. Do you know anyone who has even tried running Pro Tools on OS X Server?
Old 09-12-2011, 08:33 PM

Default Re: Mac Mini Server i7 2.0 Quad

I assumed that I could either just download regular Lion (already purchased with my apple ID at the app store) and use that or I thought I had heard that OS X Server can be used for Pro Tools anyway.

If both of these options won't work than I want to know that too but my main question is about hyper-threading since I read that you cannot turn off hyper-threading in Lion.

Anybody have knowledge or experience about hyper-threading and pro tools?
Old 09-13-2011, 05:32 PM

I too would like clarification on the hyper threading issue.

I have heard 2 variations regarding pt 9 and hyperthreading, they are:

1: Hyperthreading is not a problem if you set the PT preferences to leave one physical core for other processes.
So on a i7 quad 2011 mini you would check to allow PT to use 6 cores.

2: That hyperthreading will cause DAE errors on large sessions do to "time to process code estimation" errors.

My purchase of a new mini is waiting for an answer to this.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:56 PM

As far as hyper-threading, it has generally not been a problem, in fact it helps. On a quad core, Protools will see 8 cores, and you can actually set it to 7 for Protools and leave one for the other stuff. Hyper-threading has been on the Mac Pros for years and is not an issue.

As for the Mac Mini server, from what I can see, it ships with the same OS Lion operating system as the other Macs, and if you want the server functionality, you pay an extra $49 for the software in the App store. If you want to run it as a normal computer, just don't buy that software.

You can check with someone at the Apple Store, but I'm pretty sure that's how it works.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
As far as hyper-threading, it has generally not been a problem, in fact it helps. On a quad core, Protools will see 8 cores, and you can actually set it to 7 for Protools and leave one for the other stuff. Hyper-threading has been on the Mac Pros for years and is not an issue.

As for the Mac Mini server, from what I can see, it ships with the same OS Lion operating system as the other Macs, and if you want the server functionality, you pay an extra $49 for the software in the App store. If you want to run it as a normal computer, just don't buy that software.

You can check with someone at the Apple Store, but I'm pretty sure that's how it works.
Except the server minis have the additional software already. Being that it is just an add-on pack I'd think there wouldn't be any problems, but that's just a guess. Hope someone else has tried it by now.

As far as hyper-threading goes, I've only recently read of someone have a negative experience with it. Seems to be rather isolated. For most users it seems to work fine. Again I don't have personal experience, but really like the server mini and may pick one up once funds allow.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:14 PM

I have ordered the Mac Mini Server i7 Quad and I will post to update how it is working for anyone else who's interested in this computer.

Avid Customer Support said that they have never supported servers, so I realize this could be a risk. I also have read that it can be a pain to install regular lion and people recommend simply disabling the server features of Lion server so I will try that first. It seems to me that hyper-threading cannot be a serious issue since so many computers have the quad i7 and now in Lion it can't even be turned off.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Technician View Post
There are differences in the Server OS. That's why it's called Server. Do you know anyone who has even tried running Pro Tools on OS X Server?
Okay, after looking into this I now realize that this Chief Technician has asked a very important question. I would love to hear from someone who has tried running pro tools with mac server OS, especially if someone is doing it currently with the new Mac Mini Server with Lion Server. I have some questions about how I should set it up (If I don't find out I will go with trial and error but if anyone has insight it could help me out (or help me realize I need to return the computer to Apple).

1. I plan to simply try to disable the server portion of the OS. (Apple claims this will make it just like Lion client...will see if Pro Tools 9 agrees).
2. The best way to install Lion client (If number one fails).
3. Will I lose the function of the ethernet port if I successfully install Lion client? (I have heard this but again, if anyone has experience here that would be much appreciated).
Old 09-15-2011, 03:24 AM

I bought a refurb Mini server (SL 10.6x) planing to instal SL. This proved to not be straight forward but posable. Lion Server on the other hand I have not tried.

For snow leopard-Server (if similar and or helpful)
For me the process was to build SL non-server on my MP.
1. I created a 500Gb partition and built the boot drive through the latest OS (10.6.8 (1.1). 2. I started the Mini-server in Taget mode and cloned to the primary drive. I had tried the secondary drive but it was tied to the server drive and did not work (1 try)
Restarted and it was good to go.
3.Then I used TimeMachine with the second internal drive.

4.Turned on CD sharing for using the MP DVD/CD drive as needed.

For SL this required a 10.6.4+ install disk. For Lion it would require and Lion regular installer I imagine.

I too would be interested if you have Lion server can you just disable serving and install Lion regular. The refub Mini qualifies for a Lion Server upgrade
My thoughts of Lion have improved over the last two weeks of using it on a MP (research system)
Old 09-15-2011, 06:14 AM

I use PT 9.05 on a 2011 Mini Server, mostly for composition. I've had a few issues, but none of them have really stopped me from working. Since PT 9 for Lion is only a public beta, I assume the next update will be more stable.

Firstly, Lion Server is pretty much identical to Lion Client, except for the Server app. All I did was remove it from the dock because I don't need it - no need to disable or wipe over anything. No issues using Lion Server for all my normal tasks and every day use (internet, movies, uni work, etc).

The main problem I've had using PT is the occasional CPU spike interrupting playback. I use many instances of Alchemy and Stylus RMX, as well as plenty of effects. Average RTAS usage will be 15-20% (with a similar figure given by the Activity Monitor), so plenty of breathing room, but I'll get the occasional 'Running out of CPU! Increase buffer size!' message. Interface is a Novation X-Station with the buffer size set to 512. The messages are infrequent enough not to really bother me.

PT reports having a total eight cores to play with (which I set to seven), so I'm guessing that PT doesn't have any problems with hyper-threading?

The new Mini Server is a nice little beast of a thing, and I heartily recommend it to those that don't need the all-out brute force of a Mac Pro, or the portability of a MacBook Pro. Hopefully Thunderbolt will allow for expansion, although the maximum of 8GB ram may be an issue for some.