Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2016, 01:02 PM

Default Re: Prognosis for PT HD Native and new Mac Pro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
We have funding to replace my main audio workstation which will come available July 1.

I intended to buy a new Mac Pro, PT HD Native, and probably some combination of Focusrite Rednet HD32R interfaces to interface with our Dante Network running a Yamaha CL5. This will also be used to run QLab audio and video playback, and Smaart, Studio Manager, Meyer Compass, and XTA Audio Core.

What's the current prognosis for running Protools on a fresh stock new Mac Pro?

Am I going to have to downgrade the OS as soon as I get it in? If so, how does one go about doing that, since I don't have any install discs for earlier operating systems? Are there any hardware combinations to look out for when specing the new Mac Pro? Is 32GB of RAM enough these days? or should I bump it up to 64GB?

ETA: This computer is going to have to last us for close to 10 years. I'm currently running on an original first Gen Intel Mac Pro which is 10 years old now.
There are ways of creating an install USB stick for earlier OSX versions. Can't remember how to do it but it's relatively easy and the info how to do it should be easy to Google. You just need to find a Yosemite .dmg install file from somewhere but there are ways and means!!!! That said, you may find everything you need is El Capitan compatible by July so there will be no need to upgrade.

I didn't like the nMP at first but have grown to like it. It's quiet as quiet mouse. The only problem I've had is with USB3. I tried FOUR hubs before I found one that worked reliably.

Max the RAM but buy from Kingston on Crucial. Apple prices for RAM are ridiculous.

You'll be lucky to get ten years out of a new Mac unless you leave it frozen and never update anything.
Old 05-30-2016, 01:18 PM

You normally cannot downgrade any Mac to an older OS X release than it came installed with.
Old 05-30-2016, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonx1 View Post
There isn't a workstation class chip set with thunderbolt 3 yet. I think September will be the next get i7 release. It will take mackintosh 6 months minimum to catch up there so I would guess we are looking at new versions of a trashcan Mac Pro in a year. Not sure that waiting a year to upgrade is an option or a pro studio that is busy.
Exactly. The new Broadwell E (6 core and up) processors are being introduced this week at the Computex convention. The prices have been released along with details and specs. Supposedly orders can be placed. Hopefully release will be soon. At this point, the Mac Pro's will be 2 generations behind Intel. For us PC users, they are the same 2011-3 socket as the x99 and will just require a bios update. Asus already have their TB3 cards on their site as well.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 05-30-2016, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8dB.co.uk View Post
Or go Hackintosh and save yourself a shed load of cash, incompatibility and futureproofing worries.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
Can't do a hackintosh. We're a City owned and operated facility, and the City IT department kind of frowns on hacking anything.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 05-30-2016, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundcontrol View Post
I've built systems based on the nMP including the top specced one. In my opinion the value for $$ is not obvious. I would have gone for HP workstation for a number of reasons unless an OSX/all-Apple ecosystem was a requirement.
I need to be able to run QLab, which is a Mac only piece of software. I would much prefer to be running high end Windows PC workstation, but QLab keeps us on Macs for our production computers. (Actually, our office computers are Macs also, but that's another story).

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Old 05-30-2016, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
Can't do a hackintosh. We're a City owned and operated facility, and the City IT department kind of frowns on hacking anything.
I guess they also frown upon gratuitous wasting of money?

Easy solution - don't call it a Hackintosh, call it a self build.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

i7 5820k 6 x 4GHz (12 threads), 16GB DDR4, Win 10 Pro, BM Mini Monitor PCIe, GTX 660Ti 2GB;

Dell Laptop, i7 4x3.6GHz (8 threads ), 16GB DDR4, Win 10 Pro, GTX1060MaxQ 6GB;

"Plan B" - i7 6700k, 4 x 3.4GHz, 16GB DDR4, Sierra, AJA Kona LHi, GTX 1050Ti 4GB.

RME FireFace802 + ARC, RME Babyface

Avid D-Command, Artist Control, V-Control, Korg MicroKontrol

7.1.2 Presonus Monitors
Old 05-31-2016, 02:02 PM

Quote:
I guess they also frown upon gratuitous wasting of money?
Hey, this is city government. If it wasn't for gratuitous wasting of money, we wouldn't accomplish any thing.

Old 06-01-2016, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
You normally cannot downgrade any Mac to an older OS X release than it came installed with.

You can go as far back as 10.9.x with the nMP, but I recommend 10.10.4.

You have to wipe the drive first.
Old 06-04-2016, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Or go Hackintosh
I don't have a Hackintosh but when I saw Mick Guzauski's interview saying he is using HDX on a Hackintosh I was like, well..if it's good enough for Mick it must be an option to seriously consider at some point.
Old 06-05-2016, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
The only problem I've had is with USB3. I tried FOUR hubs before I found one that worked reliably.
I use Anker USB 3.0 hubs with no issues at all. They have a great support, The first one got some broken ports, and they send me another at no charge and I didn't need to send back the "broken one" (I still use if because some ports are working fine).

Regards,

Dialog Editor, Sound Designer, Re-Recording mixer

nMacPro 6Core/D500/512GB/64Gb ram | PT HD 12 HDN Thunderbolt | HD OMNI | Avid Artist Mix | Novation Impulse 25 | Waves Mercury Native | Audioease All In Bundle | SoundToys | McDSP Classic Pack | DUY Overpack | Arturia Beatstep Pro