Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 06-20-2012, 10:19 AM

Default New Mac Mini with PTHD10 through Thunderbolt

I am contemplating at buying the Mac Mini - 2.7 GHz i7, 8GB of RAM, 750GB @ 7200rpm (not the server) to eventually use it with the Magma 3T with Pro Tools HD 10.

The idea is to buy a computer that is affordable but can eventually run HD through thunderbolt. Does this sound like a good idea?

I will first start with the m-audio profire 2626 and Pro Tools 10 to make some money...unless anyone has a better idea for 8 preamps through firewire.

Thank you all,
Old 06-20-2012, 10:29 AM

Default Re: New Mac Mini with PTHD10 through Thunderbolt

I'm just curious whats the plan to "make some money" with the pro-fire? Makes more sense allot of times (especially if you need experience in a traditional studio) to get a couple of pre's just in case you need to track something or reamp or whatever and spend the majority of your budgetary considerations on monitoring and room treatment. That way you can take your new clients someplace pretty nice to record them ($30 and up for room rates in cali right now depending on what you want) then mix at your place with very little overhead. When you've payed for the HD you will know so much more about it than you would have.

just my 2 cents but interim interfaces tend to go into the closet and never be seen again = waste of money. Unless you like the profire and plan to continue using it in some other capacity after you get your HD rig.

I would not count on the future of any Avid integration that's not already at market. Especially when your income is at stake.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:43 AM

Yes, the idea is to go to rooms that are already treated for audio and mix at home. I own event monitors (tuned reference) which for the moment can do the job a long with headphones, and the room at my house it's quite enough. The 2626 will also be used for my live gigs with the band (obviously not going crazy on the drums with mics).

I am just wondering if the Mac Mini will work with the 3TBox and if it's power will be enough for HD 10.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:50 AM

As for an interface with 8 preamps, you might consider the Focusrite Sapphire 40 or 56, as people seem to be very happy with both the sound quality and ease of use, especially for low latency/direct monitoring.

Regarding Thunderbolt, any of the Macs that have it should work great. Bbut I think Avid has to make drivers available for it to work. They've already been using them at trade shows, etc.

And if you don't need 3 slots, check out the ones by Sonnet and Mlogic.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:10 AM

Thank you NST7 I had not seen the focusrite option, I am definitely going for that one. What about the mac mini, does it have enough power for the future HD rig?