Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2011, 02:03 AM

Default Re: PTHD10 for $599 now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danander11 View Post
Max has answered in another thread.. Thanks Chris.

AVID really needs to put up a big FAQ on the web-site. This PR-desaster couldn´t be bigger.
You have to read through hundreds of DUC pages to get the full picture of PT10 and the upgrade issues.

The communication is spread across forums, blogs, avid site and word of mouth.

They really need to iron out the info on a single page on the avid site. It´s all a huge mess. There are too many questions for all the answers being given.

And the answers lead to even more questions. Even my dealer doesn´t fully understand what´s going on.

Even a week after the release neither AVID nor my dealer was able to answer if you get PT10HD now if you buy an upgrade to HDX now of if you get a refund for PT10 software once the cards are shipped.

No one wants to buy the upgrade twice.

Just one example for confusing information politics.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meech View Post
So PT 8 HD users are still getting screwed here it seems.
Yes, this is what I've been saying all along. The hardest hit are the HD MUSIC users (the people who paid $16,000 for their systems and kept them in business). Now we get screwed because we didn't purchase the PT 9 upgrade that contained no important HD upgrades. If it had, we would have purchased it for $349.

Here on the DUC, Avid themselves admitted the upgrade was not really an HD upgrade and HD user's might want to wait, that one would be coming. So, we listened to Avid and now they bend us over when then finally get around to writing software for us loyal HD users.

Plus, PT 8 users are expected to pay ABOVE retail pricing for a non-HD PT 9 upgrade. ABOVE RETAIL. Has anyone ever heard of another company MAKING you purchase the previous upgrade at above retail, or even at retail to get the one after it? Usually it's an extra $100 to $150 more than the current upgrade, but not full retail (and they have the nerve to charge an extra "punishment fee" on top of that).

To now offer special pricing to HD 9 users and penalize HD 8 users is clearly an injustice to HD users. It seems the Post customers are more important than Music professionals.

Avid needs to sack up and admit they made a mistake on the upgrade pricing, skirting around it just silliness.

If it really is important to Avid as they claim that everyone switches to 10, then it should be a blanket $599 for everyone. If they want to 'save face', offer the service plan to PT9 users in the $599 price and PT 8 users would also pay $599, but without the service plan included (since the service plan is worth $599).

Can you get anymore fair than that?

PEACE
Old 10-28-2011, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostwriter View Post
Yes, this is what I've been saying all along. The hardest hit are the HD MUSIC users (the people who paid $16,000 for their systems and kept them in business). Now we get screwed because we didn't purchase the PT 9 upgrade that contained no important HD upgrades. If it had, we would have purchased it for $349.

Here on the DUC, Avid themselves admitted the upgrade was not really an HD upgrade and HD user's might want to wait, that one would be coming. So, we listened to Avid and now they bend us over when then finally get around to writing software for us loyal HD users.

Plus, PT 8 users are expected to pay ABOVE retail pricing for a non-HD PT 9 upgrade. ABOVE RETAIL. Has anyone ever heard of another company MAKING you purchase the previous upgrade at above retail, or even at retail to get the one after it? Usually it's an extra $100 to $150 more than the current upgrade, but not full retail (and they have the nerve to charge an extra "punishment fee" on top of that).

To now offer special pricing to HD 9 users and penalize HD 8 users is clearly an injustice to HD users. It seems the Post customers are more important than Music professionals.

Avid needs to sack up and admit they made a mistake on the upgrade pricing, skirting around it just silliness.

If it really is important to Avid as they claim that everyone switches to 10, then it should be a blanket $599 for everyone. If they want to 'save face', offer the service plan to PT9 users in the $599 price and PT 8 users would also pay $599, but without the service plan included (since the service plan is worth $599).

Can you get anymore fair than that?

PEACE
I'm not sure...8 users already bucked up to get to 9 so I could see them maybe charging 8-10 people at least the difference between going from 8 to 9 extra. I dunno...the whole thing is messed up. Still is pitiful that HD pays more than non HD & gets less if they use their cards. Blah blah blah
Old 10-28-2011, 09:41 AM

Where to find this support plan?
Dealers only?

Thanks.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitT View Post
Where to find this support plan?
Dealers only?

Thanks.
Hi,

From what ive read it will be sorted next week!

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post
Hi,

From what ive read it will be sorted next week!

Chris
no it's the demo license that will be sorted next week, you should be able to get the support plan now, but I can;t find it online. not sure i want to....
Old 10-28-2011, 10:50 AM

Hello. Max and Digidesign Tech Support both posted on another thread that it is only available through the dealers, it's not available online. It's the 'In Response To...' thread on the Pro Tools 10 forum.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:17 PM

Maybe Avid should think about sending out emails to registered users rather than let the information come from rumors or third party websites. Seriously, this is just basic business.... wtf
Old 10-28-2011, 04:09 PM

Question Re: PTHD10 for $599 now.

here's an interesting thought being discussed on another forum:

"A lightbulb just popped on in my head and it just occurred to me. These guys are smart. Really smart. They always end up on top. (For good reason IMO.)

I think the whole "compromise" about moving people over to a "service plan" to save money on the outrageous upgrade costs was pre-planned. I think they deliberately priced the PT software upgrades high in order to offer us a "way out" --

All the while knowing they were going to change their userbase over to a WUP style yearly "association fee" in order to generate a new form of income stream. It was convenient, in place and ready to go. And people are now giddy to sign up."

here's my own thoughts on this theory:

"the strategy is very clever if you do the math. (clever in a very simple, thugggish kind of way.)

previous upgrades were about $300. so for the sake of argument, let's say they were pocketing $300 annually from every user, as the major "pay" updates happen about once per year. (in the last few years anyway)

now they knock you over the head with an upgrade price that's 3x higher out of nowhere (and in many cases 5x higher or more), and then offer a "way out" as you say, for $600.

pretty sweet... they just doubled their annual take on software upgrades.

(i think i've called support 2 or three times over 15 years... so we all know the actual "support" they're selling is just a pretext. and IMO "support" in the form of bug fixes etc is the company's responsibility to start with for any software product, especially in a so called "closed" system--so i don't count that as "support" that needs paying after the fact by the user.)"

YMMV
Old 10-28-2011, 10:29 PM

The crazy thing is that if you are a PT's 8 user you can't even take advantage of this new smoke and mirrors support plan. It's, price wise, outrageous and marketing wise, incredibly stupid. It really adds up to a lose lose scenario for all involved.