Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2024, 09:44 AM

Default Re: Hackintosh - Salvage your HD PCI cards - You Can Do It Too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaquilato View Post
... There are no new motherboards for PCIx cards ... I'm researching now about a newer build with a faster 10th gen Intel CPU, faster RAM, etc...
This motherboard has 3 PCI expansion slots https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813145417 and it works for 14th gen Intel and DDR5.

Perhaps a PCI expander? https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=PCIe+expansion+chassis
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 04-18-2024, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGS View Post
This motherboard has 3 PCI expansion slots https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813145417 and it works for 14th gen Intel and DDR5.

Perhaps a PCI expander? https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=PCIe+expansion+chassis

Unless I'm looking at the wrong MB, this one has 3x PCIe slots, not PCIx slots.
And the most important thing when it comes to these PCIx slots is that they are "all in a row" so that can be connected with that little Digidesign ribbon cable.

Mac OSX Mojave 10.14.6 running Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.6
Mac OSX Mojave 10.14.6 running Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.9
Black Lion modified OMNI HD w/XB clock
Multiple Black Lion modified 192 FM/XB interfaces
Mac OSX ML 10.8.4 running PT10.3.7 HD4 PCIx (TDM & Native)
Old 04-18-2024, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristo Kotkas View Post
If you mean you are looking to build a faster native system, then you should probably check out what Apple M processor machines can do for you. We did a test to see how SoundGrid systems with DSP server compare against M processor native systems and I was surprised to see how well the SoundGrid Superrack Performer performed with Midas M32 and SoundGrid card inside of it. We could go down to 32 sample buffer on the Mac and load a lot of plugins, meaning low latency and lots of native DSP in use for live sound with just a M processor laptop.
This means a good quality sound card with fast drivers like something from RME with a M processor mac could perform well with 32 sample buffer in a DAW environment and could possibly be a valid replacement for old PT tracking systems, but since I have mine still working I am not in need to dig any deeper into this atm
Hi Kristo.
Are you talking a Hackintosh build with an Apple M chip?
Or are you saying the M processor is fast and can be used with LIVE performance to use plugins with low latency?

One has nothing to do with the other or am I missing something here?

I don't or certainly wouldn't be recording a band with plugins.
And I'm not using an X32 as my recording console although, yes, I guess you could do that and use USB to record 32 inputs.)

Recording in a purist sense of microphone choice & preamp choice to the audio interface which are Avid 192s.
That could be 24 to 32 inputs with 4 headphone mixes.
All at a buffer of 64.
Then you start overdubs. Finally you start mixing and you have to change the buffer size. No big thing really, you just make it larger.

Then you want to overdub again and you've forgotten to change the buffer back to 64, so you stop and do that. Again no big deal other than time.

TIME and impatient musicians who are losing their creative juju or vibe.

I'm trying to see if there is a faster Intel CPU with a MB that can do this all natively with the Avid HDNative card and not having to drop the buffer size down to 64 to record.
Possibly finding a happy medium.

Anyone out there find one?

Mac OSX Mojave 10.14.6 running Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.6
Mac OSX Mojave 10.14.6 running Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.9
Black Lion modified OMNI HD w/XB clock
Multiple Black Lion modified 192 FM/XB interfaces
Mac OSX ML 10.8.4 running PT10.3.7 HD4 PCIx (TDM & Native)