Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 11-24-2009, 10:27 PM

Default Re: I Got Pro Tools 7.3 to recognize 2.7GB of memory- Here's how

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
I have to agree with this as I've seen problems with systems running only 3G of RAM trying to use the 3gb switch. The best results seem to be with systems running 4G of RAM and higher.

Shane
Hey Shan. How ya doin buddy

For all complaints click here

DAW
-
Digi003 PC-Sweetwater CS dual 3.0/Asus 975X Chipset/CPU dual 3.0GHz/800MHz FSB/RAM 4GB/Radeonx300se/4 internal glyph sata drives/ 3 external glyph backup drives/Acronis True Image OUTBOARD-UA LA-610, ADL-600, Digimax lt, Eureka x 2, Central Station, Hearback x 8, JBL LSR, Monster Power Software-PTLE 8.0, Sound Forge, CD Architect Plugins- Too many and too much money spent
Old 11-24-2009, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scar97 View Post
Hey Shan. How ya doin buddy
All is well. You ever get that tilt wheel finally operating?

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 11-25-2009, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyGinese View Post
Nice... I'll do the 3gb switch(even though i only have 2gb ram) to see if it fixes my DAE memory is too low problem..(even though the system is only using 1gb ram when i get the message.
This isn't a good idea. As has been said earlier.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.10 HDX
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 11-25-2009, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
All is well. You ever get that tilt wheel finally operating?

Shane
Nope. I just got used to shift+scroll. I doubt I would even want to change my workflow unless I got one of those cool mouse (meese mice's whatever) that Eric Pershing has and I have seen before. It has a boss in the middle of it and some other buttons on it. It looks like a very popular mouse but I have no idea what it is. I have tried the Kennsington expert but the 360 deg scroll circle on it does not scroll (or did not when I tried it). We may need to just do a poll on da mouse. I am in a upgrade frame of mind right now.

Always good to hear from you my friend. Thanks for hovering over this thread. These guys are great.

Happy thanksgiving

DAW
-
Digi003 PC-Sweetwater CS dual 3.0/Asus 975X Chipset/CPU dual 3.0GHz/800MHz FSB/RAM 4GB/Radeonx300se/4 internal glyph sata drives/ 3 external glyph backup drives/Acronis True Image OUTBOARD-UA LA-610, ADL-600, Digimax lt, Eureka x 2, Central Station, Hearback x 8, JBL LSR, Monster Power Software-PTLE 8.0, Sound Forge, CD Architect Plugins- Too many and too much money spent
Old 11-25-2009, 06:41 PM

OK......Last thing I would like to do is this (below after my post). Do you guys do this and if so should I. I will wait your responses. I got this from the windows optimization on the dig site. I have done everything else but this a long time ago but never created a different profile. See below.

Creating a new hardware profile:

• Right-click on My Computer and select 'Properties.'
  • Click on the Hardware tab and select Hardware Profiles - you should see a list with your computer's default profile. This profile will become the Pro Tools optimized profile, so you can rename it accordingly.
  • Click Copy to create a duplicate profile before the changes we'll make - this will be your computer's access to the internet and other applications, so name it accordingly as well (i.e. Pro Tools (Current) and Default).
  • Then make sure that 'Wait until I select a hardware profile' is checked. Close the Hardware Profiles dialog.
Disabling non-essential devices:

• You should be back in the Hardware tab of System Properties - click on Device Manager.
  • Click on the '+' symbol next to Network Adapters.
  • Double-click on the first device listed and select the 'Do not use this device in the current hardware profile (disable)' option under Device Usage.
  • Close that device's properties dialog and repeat the last step for the next device listed.
  • All items under Network Adapters, Ports, and any default or built-in soundcard listed under Sound, Video, and Game Controllers should follow suit (disabling your network adapters will prevent you from using the internet).

DAW
-
Old 11-25-2009, 06:57 PM

I've never done the Profile per se' but I have a bunch of stuff shut off since I only use PT on that comp; I don't have the onboard sound off tho...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 11-25-2009, 08:20 PM

OK. I have had the 3 gb switch running for about an hour now. My buddy Kevin is over here and neither one of us sings very good but he is a bit better than me. My talent lies in playing and recording/producing. We have begun a mock session on a song he wants to record. I will do a real quick mock worktape and post it and what I had running when I finish it.

PIP

PS Wish us luck and don't be hatin my guitar playin cause I want to test some amp sims that hog the system. I will put a B3 or suhn in on it for keys.

DAW
-
Old 11-25-2009, 08:46 PM

Looking forward to it Scar.

As for your post asking about optimizations, I don’t create a separate profile because much like kb, this computer does only one thing. As far as non-essential devices go, yes I have disabled what is shown and much more. I stop everything in services that is not needed for PT. Startup has zero apps starting. etc etc. I run classic desktop and when I really feel dangerous I will allow "clear type".

I have been thinking about virtual memory, does anyone use an SSD for that? I'm wondering how that might work out.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.10 HDX
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 11-25-2009, 08:53 PM

+1 on Key and Tom. no profile but all unneeded services put on manual, some disabled.

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff
Old 11-25-2009, 09:55 PM

OK..Don't judge the quick recording and mix. I am only demonstratating the fact that I threw everything at it but the kitchen sink. Like I said we can't sing. Kevin writes but anyway here is what happened. Also it is an MP3 at 128 (double yuck)

Threw up RMX for quick patterns, made about 8 midi tracks and instead of putting RMX on one track and doing 8 midi tracks to drive the one VI I put RMX on all 8 instrument tracks (remember quick patterns so don't judge the song and playing as much as the performance of the VI's). That took care of the ...drums (yuck) added Waves Rcomp and L1. ram=500

Trillian put the rock fingered bass full range on inst trk and did a real quick key bass part added waves Rcomp. Ram=900

Guitar. Opened up guitar rig 3 (NI) grabbed my strat and did a rhythm track. Opened up another track with GR 3 and doubled it sort of. Opened up waves GTR and did a lead guitar part added combinations of Waves compressors and limitors along with Reverb bus and delay bus. Ram=1200

B3. Instrument track with B4 just to put some keys on it and this uses some memory. Added c1 waves and r6 waves. Ram=1450

Vocals put kevin all in the box no outboard just through the board on a mojave Ma200 next to the desk. Added smack (hate that thing but it is a ram hog) then q10 waves and an L1 just for the hell of it then duplicated his vocal track 3 times and all plugs, added melodyne to it and made harmonies out of his lead vocal. Ram=1850

Master had Izotope Ozone 4, Waves LMB and L2 then compressed the hell out of everything just to use up more ram. The ram was now around 2180

Soooooo, for a quickie it sounded and looked stable and 3GB switch seems to be a success finally. Just FYI My boot ini file looks like this

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=AlwaysOff /fastdetect /3GB

Here is the link to the song we just did for your amusement. I aint no frickin guitar player!!!! I play KEYS!! (and I do it live...they don't like moving dots around in the studios...LOL)

http://www.buypippin.com/meandkevin.mp3

I'm Happy now. Thanks guys

DAW
-