Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 12-03-2005, 10:38 AM

Default Problem Configuring MIDI Keyboard in Pro Tools LE

I am new to pro tools, just got an mbox 2, command|8 mixer, and a EDIROL PCR-M50 MIDI Keyboard, i have set up protools and the mixer works ok, but i just can't get to configure the keyboard in protools nor use it to generate sound from any sound generator plug-ins with protools.

The fact is i dont know the steps to take to configure the keyboard and bring the sounds to life

Can anybody PLEASE PLEASE help shed some light on how to go about this?

Many thanks
Newtino
United Kingdom.
Old 04-13-2009, 02:58 PM

Default Configuring MIDI Keyboard in Pro Tools LE +Edirol M50

same here. i did open the Protools 8 sample sessions and used the midi sessions (electronica I think one was called). I did record the 3 different tracks (synth, bass etc) and it worked fine but when I tried to set up my own session it looked nothing like the what I saw in the PT8 sessions.

To be expected I suppose. There seems to be tons of info out there on midi but how to actually get this particular keyboard out of the gate is tricky.

I bought mine used which might or might not be even more difficult but I seem to have been able to load the driver ok.

booker

iMac G5
Intel Core 2Duo
Processor: 2.66GHz
Memory 4 GB
PT 8
Lacie HD
Edirol PCR-M50 keyboard
Old 04-13-2009, 03:55 PM

Default Re: Problem Configuring MIDI Keyboard in Pro Tools LE

Have you installed the drivers that come with the keyboard? Is it hooked to the computer via USB or to the Mbox via midi cables? It should be this simple; create a stereo instrument track. Choose View>Mix Window and check on SHOW INSTRUMENTS and the mix window should then have a new box at the top of each instrument track with the top little box showing the word "All". Then insert an instrument plugin like MiniGrand of DB-33(MiniGrand takes a few seconds to load the sounds). By default, the instrument track will have "All" selected at the top. AT this point, playing the keyboard SHOULD cause the instrument plugin to make sound.

The better I drink...the more I mix.....

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-14-2009, 03:02 AM

that's it and right as rain. It was the "create and instrument track" that did it. I was thinking it had to happen through a midi track. there is lot's to learn here but this is a good start.

thank you.

booker
Old 01-20-2012, 08:39 PM

Hello, I am still fairly new to Pro Tools LE 8 But my issue is very similar to this one.

I have a AKAI MPK88 MIDI controller that I use to play and record sound with my Pro Tools LE 8 set-up. Long Story Short I have been able for awhile to open a new session and create a new instrument track and add in for example a plugin like the Mini Grand and play and record sound using my midi keyboard. But today I start up my Pro Tools and try to do the same thing but my instrument track is not recognizing or showing me any signs of midi action when I play keys on my midi keyboard but I am able to click on the screen pluggin keys and can play and record sound.

I have checked to make sure all the following are in place.

1. That midi thru is checked.
2. That all my cords are properly connected.
3. That in MIDI studio setup i have the Akai selected
with the input port: set to Akai mpk88 and my Out
put port: select to None.
4: MIDI INPUT FILTER I do not have notes selected.
5. In Peripherals under Synchronization my MTC Reader Port is set to any
and my MTC Generator is set to none.
6: For my MIDI input Divices all of the inputs are enabled.
7: Under instruments the first box is set to all and the second box is set to
my exact instrument pluggin that I am using.
8. the record but is set on.
9. My I/O is no input and my Main out is L/R which this is a standard setup
unless I'm using a mic.

Please help me figure out why I can not get sound to play through my pro tools program using my AKAI MPK88 Midi Controller Keyboard but I can click on my computer screen plugging like the Mini grand keys and hear sound... I am so lost as to why this has worked so perfectly up till today. Thank you...

And yes I also checked to see that my drivers for my keyboard where installed and updated and that my computer recognized my midi keyboard. All this was fine. Please pretty please help I will be so happy!!!

Thanks again John.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:09 PM

Same problem here - I started a thread, but have gotten no replies. Everything was working fine...and then one day - nothing. It's clearly some sort of problem with pro tools itself or other software on the machine - perhaps a windows update because all the pro tools hardware works fine with reaper and sibelius...