Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2012, 02:40 PM

Arrow Questions about Mac OSX Server

Hi there everyone, I am a windows user but am seriously considering making a very gradual shift to OSX. As a composer, I find myself needing to use mac more and more. The more involved in the industry I get, the more i'm pushed towards mac. So my question is- does anyone know if OSX Server is qualified for PT? Also, If anyone uses MOTU or Logic or Sibelius, I would like to know that these are all qualified for OSX server and how well the work with PT i.e. in rewire. I will need sessions containing lots of Kontakt, East West, Cinematique... ect, ect. Nice big phat sessions drawing from multiple HDDs. Additional software I would need would be the usual Final Cut, Media Composer, Final Draft, ect... so all the normal stuff. I just want to know if I can do this on a server? I go through HDD space like candy and would like to save some money by using server over regular Mac Pro if possible. Additionally, if anyone has a suggestion for a powerful computer that has OSX and can do all this, I would love suggestions... do I need to get a PCI card, ect... Preferably, it should be able to handle huge sessions at minimal cost. So if someone could suggest a minnimum CPU/ram that would be great. My current hardware is somewhat prone to crashing on PT.

My other question would be using PT and Vienna. Anyone tried it and how useful is it really? Should I keep my rig and consider spanning over multiple computers using Vienna?

Thanks everyone,
Happy Editing!
-notedmusic

Pro Tools 11 HD, 64Gb ram, 12tb SSD, 1909
HD Omni/Thunderbolt Native
A bucketload of libraries
www.Reverbnation.com/jedediahjenk
www.soundcloud.com/jedediahjenk
notedmusic.wix.com/jedediahjenk
Old 05-22-2012, 04:24 PM

Default Re: Questions about Mac OSX Server

your pot is confusing

Pro Tools is not approved for OSX Server
What do you think OSX Server OS is going to do for you? I use it OSX Server to run a File Server and it's buggy as hell.

Now if your talking bout the the Mac Mini Server box over a Mac Pro box...
I don't know right now the Mini with the Thunderbolt port looks nice but, my intuition says that the new Pros are just around the corner and will smoke the Mini

If your sessions are really that big you'll want CPTK or HD for Extended Disk Cache

Also your probably want VE Pro to host your VIs outside of PT's memory space to avoid the memory cap problems

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 05-23-2012, 12:18 AM

Server and PT aren't compatible. If HD space is what you're worried about the Mac Pro would be your best bet and fill up all 4 HD bays
Old 05-23-2012, 02:09 AM

Well I bought the "Server" Lion upgrade from iTunes because I though at the time that the full XSan application will help me cope with issues that I encountered when upgrading from 10.6 to 10.7 regarding FC issues. It did not. So I removed my SAN from the whole workflow. But I never un-installed the Server. And I am running PT10.1-10.1.2-10.1.3 and now 10.2 just fine. I think the Lion Server is actually more of an "add-on of apps" than a whole new OS (as opposed to Win7 vs. Win2k8 R2 Server; these really are two different OS's).