Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2011, 06:41 AM

Default Foley - sound effects with samplers...

Hi,

I'm working on a foley sound-effects library for samplers and looking for your advice.

Do you work with Structure, Kontakt or other samplers for your sound design needs like footsteps or anything time consuming to sync?

Do you have an interest in the use of specialized sound libraries like foley and sound-effects?

Whats your needs?

Thanks

Bernard
Old 10-07-2011, 06:57 AM

Default Re: Foley - sound effects with samplers...

You probably should post this in the "Post and Surround" section.

But in general, I'm not sure how much samplers are used any more for this, because you can just drag the sound effect from a Sound Effects CD or hard drive right into Protools and line it up exactly where you need it.

Whereas back in the old days, there were benefits to using samplers for midi to SMPTE conversion for help with syncing up sound to picture.

In other words, you may be better off simply making a sound effects library CD of Wav files, rather than specifically for any sampler.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
You probably should post this in the "Post and Surround" section.

But in general, I'm not sure how much samplers are used any more for this, because you can just drag the sound effect from a Sound Effects CD or hard drive right into Protools and line it up exactly where you need it.

Whereas back in the old days, there were benefits to using samplers for midi to SMPTE conversion for help with syncing up sound to picture.

In other words, you may be better off simply making a sound effects library CD of Wav files, rather than specifically for any sampler.
Thanks nts7.

Well, I'm talking about specific needs like footsteps, repetitive events, sounds like sword, fights, sports, Jackie Chan Movie http://duc.avid.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Recently, as a sound designer, I did a 10 hours documentary DVD serie on Hockey with Kontakt sampler on pro tools 16 tracks MIDI set-up load with full differents hockey hits, slap shots, skates, crowd reactions and... THE ORGAN!!! http://duc.avid.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif At first they had a sound editor. Quickly, they realized they would not have time to get the job done. So they call me to speed up the process. So I got 2 weeks!http://duc.avid.com/images/smilies/eek.gif

So, that's why I think there would be a need for sound editors, sound designers... isn't it?
Old 10-07-2011, 08:23 AM

I'm not debating the need for sound design, just the method of getting it into your movie.

Your sound effects design products may be very helpful. I just don't see the need to load them into a sampler first, and then into your recording program, when you can just drag them straight into the program and line them up where you want.

It used to be that syncing them up to picture was much harder in the days of analog tape, and loading them into samplers and using midi to smpte conversion made it easier to sync up to an exact frame.

Nowadays, that's not needed, so I'm just not seeing the benefit of making them available in samplers, when they can just be imported directly into the Protools timeline.

You may come up with a great collection of sound effects, I just don't see the need or benefit of making them compatible with samplers.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:35 PM

Debate is not for me too ;O)

Just a survey and I appreciated your opinion

Thanks