Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)

Old 07-27-2015, 04:26 AM

Default Fast Track c400 - suddenly stopped powering up

I bought the MP9 bundle 3 years ago, I run it on a Mac Mini and an older MacBook, both with snow leopard, and it has worked flawlessly until this week.

One day while running pro tools a message popped up from the computer saying something like "one or more USB devices were using too much power and have been disabled to avoid damage. Power will resume once the device(s) are unplugged"
The program kept working throughout that session but the next time I tried to start pro tools it wouldn't recognize the hardware even though it was still plugged in. I tried unplugging and replugging it and when I do that same message pops up and I noticed that the blue "power" light flashes briefly when I plug it in and then turns off again. It used to stay on.

I tried this on both the computers I use and it is the same so I'm pretty sure the problem is with the Fast Track hardware. I have been plugging in the iLok with it and that still lights up blue. All other USB devices still work on these computers.

Because this is a software/hardware bundle this means I cannot open pro tools at all and thus cannot access any of my recordings except for the raw files in the project folders. I'm kind of freaking out and I'll pay for a technical support session if I have to but I'm trying this first. Please help!
Old 07-27-2015, 04:55 AM

Default Re: Fast Track c400 - suddenly stopped powering up

Are you using a phantom powered mic by chance? I'm not sure what the power requirements are for the C400, or what the Mac will output for bus power, but you might also try using a powered USB hub?

Joel

Home:
Asus B450 Pro4 / Ryzen 5 2600 / 32GB RAM / Win 11 Pro
Pro Tools HD / Focusrite 18i20 + M-Audio ProFire 2626

Rig:
Eleven Rack / ART SLA1 / Two 2x10 Passive Monitors / FCB1010 w/ EurekaPROM
Old 07-27-2015, 10:08 AM

I do use a phantom powered mic but the phantom power is off when the fast track powers up. And (strangely) every other light except the blue power light goes on when it's plugged in - I can even turn on the phantom power and the VU meters respond to sound into the powered mic. Plus I've been using the same mic since I got the thing, and I tried powering it up with everything unplugged and it's the same

I think I'll buy a powered hub and if that solves it I'll be relieved - though still baffled as to why it is suddenly demanding more power.

One other thing - I went through the registration process when I first bought the bundle but it has still pestered me incessantly about registering every time I run the program so it seems like something didn't work and my copy is still unregistered - though completely legal. I was too irritated to go through the whole process again and had no practical reason to do so. Could there be some insidious built-in timer kill-switch or something to thwart software pirates?
Old 07-27-2015, 10:43 AM

I don't think there is any "kill switch" in it no. It could be that the FT is failing, but a USB hub is an easy/cheap test/fix.

Joel

Home:

Rig:
Old 07-27-2015, 07:02 PM

I bought a powered USB hub and got it working. Hooray! It's nice when it's that easy. It did set me back a few dollars and I'm still confused as to why this started happening after working fine for so long, plus I now have even more stuff to attach to my computer just to run this software, but I'm happy I don't need to buy a new FT.

The blue power light still does not stay on and it shuts the powered hub down if I plug it into certain outlets, so I guess they're not all equal. This thing is obviously drawing more power than it used to and I still don't understand that. I'm just glad it works now.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:21 PM

Update: I spoke too soon. It appears my Fast Track really is broken. When plugged into the powered hub it does allow me to open pro tools but the audio doesn't work, it just makes static on the inputs and very distorted playback.

At least now I can open the program to access my work but I can't listen to anything unless I export it, which doesn't help much. I'm seeing the cheapest used one at $150 so this is fairly bad news. Is there any chance of Avid replacing this product or any other option you'd recommend short of buying a new one?
Old 07-28-2015, 09:55 AM

Unfortunately if you're still using M-Powered 9, you'll have to stick to an approved list of devices:http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...271?popup=true

I don't think any of those are still in production, so it would either be NOS or used.

You could get the FT fixed, but I'm not sure if that would be cost effective.

Joel

Home:

Rig:
Old 08-17-2015, 04:50 AM

Hi there,

Same problem here. I have had the Fast Track C400 + Pro Tools SE bundle using with a NT1A mic for over 2 years and only yesterday it stopped working:

- I suddenly noticed the "USB drawing too much power" alert
- I thought it was odd, so I turned-off my laptop, turned it on again, plugged in the FT
- FT would only flash its lights, all except for the "on/off" led, it would be unrecognized by the OS

I have a "free" Avid Customer Support ticket that I will use although I doubt my FT is under warranty anymore and if the cost of fixing is justifies it.
Old 10-17-2015, 09:41 PM

Check your USB cable...
Old 02-24-2017, 10:49 AM

I Have Same Problem
my c400 Power Light doesnot Appear and couldnot connect , like nothing happen when i connected it just a windows Sound !!
the other lights such Phantom pwr and Montitorings outputs Channels (A-B Lights)
I REALLY APPRECIATE IF ANYONE KNOWS ANYTHING AND GUIDE ME
It was a reallllllly bad day
my digidesign and fast track got problem in same time and its driving me crazy
tnx a lot guys