Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2013, 10:15 PM

Default Re: Have PTLE 7.1, Bought a used MB2Pro and 7.1.2 update won't install

Thanks for the "Pros" (no pun intended) to install the later version.

So I did get the disks (7.3 and 7.3.1 updater) with the used MBox2 Pro. Obviously they include all that is required to run the "Pro".

So, since I've never bought a used version of PTLE before and always had my own, what will it take to get this running?

The DIGI authorization code came with the Disks. The iLok didn't.

Do I need to uninstall PTLE 7.1? If I install 7.3.1, will my old MBox2 still work? What happens to the Plug-Ins and Virtual Instruments that are in 7.1? Do I have to contact AVID to get the authorization code in my name? Do I need to buy a new iLok (shame because I'll be moving to 10/11 soon!)

Digidesign really left a lot of snare wire traps for its base. What a shame. AVID probably doesn't want to go back and fill the gaps either.

I understand the bitterness out there.

Thanks for any clarifications you can provide folks!
Old 06-08-2013, 10:37 PM
Admin Emeritus

Quote:
The DIGI authorization code came with the Disks. The iLok didn't.
Not a problem, you don't need an iLok for Pro Tools LE authorization, just that authorization code that you have.

iLok authorization for non-HD or M-Powered versions of Pro Tools started with Pro Tools 9. Authorization codes were used until the last version of Pro Tools LE (v8.0).

Quote:
Do I need to uninstall PTLE 7.1?
You should. On Windows, you may get a prompt during Pro Tools 7.3.1 installation to uninstall the previous version anyway.

Quote:
If I install 7.3.1, will my old MBox2 still work?
Yes.

Quote:
What happens to the Plug-Ins and Virtual Instruments that are in 7.1?
You should have updated versions of all of those on your 7.3.x installer disks.

Quote:
Do I have to contact AVID to get the authorization code in my name?
Not necessary.

Quote:
Do I need to buy a new iLok (shame because I'll be moving to 10/11 soon!)
You won't need an iLok until you get v10/11, which will require the latest iLok v2. So if you do buy an iLok, don't get the older iLok shaped like a key.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:34 PM

Hi Bruce,

What a pleasant surprise. All your responses were better than I was expecting! Thank you!

So, no iLok won't affect anything? I was under the impression, third party plug-ins and virtual instruments won't work without it. If this isn't an issue, this is the best $80 I've spent in a long time.

I am looking forward to reviving my turntable and converting vinyl to digital and posting some of the better stuff on YouTube. (and record on 4 channels simultaneously) (drums)

Thank you again for the guidance and staying on top of this.

Regards//Keith