Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2008, 01:01 AM

Default Introduction and Mixer Help...

Hey guys!

I just wanted to introduce myself as well as get some advice on using Pro Tools. I am a previous Cubase user and was getting a bad taste in the back of my mouth using this piece of software which still runs excellent on my Mac G4 but I have all sorts of issues running on my PC. One of the latest problems I'm having using Cubase is that when I try to Save my project to a new folder, it crashes the whole program and when I go to look in my Cubase folder it shows me that it has copied everything from my Cubase folder into my Cubase folder! }8-0 What the hey! Anyway, I'm rambling somewhat...

So just this weekend I decided to go Pro Tools M-Powered 7.4 which I have yet to find any real problems (maybe a few things such as a slow start-up and if you're going to offer plug-ins make them so I don't have to pay EXTRA to authorize them or at give the option of a demo), and PT works seemlessly with the M-Audio 1010LT card. With Cubase, I was having to adjust the latency every so often. I don't have to do that here. In fact, I don't even remember if I had to make any adjustments to the sound card. Everything seemed to work right out of the box.

Well, is there any suggestion as to a good mixer to use with Pro-Tools. Right now, I use a Behringer MX 1604A Eurorack mixer which would be along the lines of what I'm looking for with the same type of budget cost and as well I want more inputs and more busses. Can anyone point me in the right direction. Doesn't have to have USB or Firewire (a plus but not necessary), just a good quality mixer.

Also, I want to set up my iBook in order to use PT MP 7.4. What is a good cheap M-Audio interface to use that can be used on the Apple?

Thank you in advance for any and all help.

P5

Last edited by pagan5000; 11-12-2008 at 01:02 AM. Reason: I wanted to include my signature
Old 12-02-2008, 09:18 AM

Default Re: Introduction and Mixer Help...

What exactly do you want to do with an analog mixer with Pro Tools MP?
That question will determine what I'd recommend.
I use a Tapco Mix.260fx mixer with PTMP. I use it mostly for just a master volume control for playback (completely overkill for this task alone).

But I also occasionally use the 4 onboard pres (which I like a lot actually), as they have direct outs.

On top of that, I have a CD player running into it and a Cassette deck for running tracks onto and back again to get a nasty tapey sound.

If you're looking to do some of that type of stuff, I would recommend the Tapco Mix260 (it's under $200). If you wanna step it up a bit, look at the Mackie 1202, or higher models.

And the second part of your question... I think the M-Audio JamLab is the cheapest dongle/interface you can get to run M-Powered on the go. They used to be $39.99 but they might be even cheaper if you look around. Nobody wants these things, but it'll let you run The Tools.