Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 04-09-2008, 01:26 PM

Default Structure Free smart knob assignment questions

So I'm just setting up and getting to know Structure free, I've read the manual and so far I like it a lot but there seems to be a lack of info in the manual as far as smart knob assignments and midi control.
1)In the manual on page 18 it says this: "The smart knobs are special controls which can be assigned to one or more Structure Free parameters in the currently selected patch...etc." No explanation though as to HOW this is done! Can this be done in Structure Free? I've clicked on everything in this GUI and can't figure it out! Need more info Digi! If I load an EXS24 patch the smart knob assigns are blank and I've tried just naming them...filter cutoff, for instance...but that doesn't work.
Another odd thing is that while I can right click on a knob and assign a CC to anything on edit page 1 I can't do this on Edit page 2.

2)There are no FX send knob and switch on edit page 1 as is described in the Structure free manual....so this does point to mistakes in the manual....but this is the manual just for Structure free...that's what it says on the cover!
Any help here would be great.
Focusrite Saffire Pro 40
Ableton Live 10/Presonus Studio 3
Old 04-22-2008, 09:08 AM

Default Re: Structure Free smart knob assignment questions

Sorry for the bump but can no one offer a response?
Focusrite Saffire Pro 40
Old 04-22-2008, 09:48 AM

If i am not mistaken, i think you right click (control+click for Mac) over lets say the "RATE" and a drop down menu appears with a list of the control numbers. Assign to a particular control knob from there.
Check out the accelerated videos. Click on index of videos at foot of page.
http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...606&langid=100
You would need to look at part 2 of Structure, "layering sounds"............ Nice ;-)
Not sure if this is active in the Free version.
Old 05-02-2008, 01:35 PM

They must be features found only in Structure/LE and not Structure free because the only right click function on any of the knobs that I've found is a "learn midi CC" on the smart knobs. There is no right click midi learn on the other controls on Structure free with no way of doing any mapping of any kind. Boy they really disabled this thing didn't they? They could have made it so that you could at least make a patch and do some custom control.
Focusrite Saffire Pro 40