Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App

Old 05-25-2016, 06:20 PM

Default The Dock is now shipping!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alk3997 View Post
When you get time, could you please post more of your opinions / impressions? I suspect I may not be the only one who will likely first see the Dock if/when I purchase a Dock.

Build quality and responsiveness are two of the things I'm curious about. Does it feel like an S3 extension? Can you compare with the Artist units? Etc.

If you get time, any information would be greatly appreciated.

Andy

I guess the quality is matching the S3. Same fader, buttons and touch buttons. The surface is not exactly like the S3. S3 have a rubber feeling, and the Dock is more solid plastic. But understand me right: it's not "cheap". For me this is not a problem at all, and it visually looks identical.
In addition to music production I do a lot of dubbing for TV. Every automation functions is right there. Select tracks on the iPad, press "Do to sel"(ected) and press one of the automation types. Or press an automation type and then a track on the iPad. Fast and easy!
I've owned and used for a while 3 Artist Mix, Artist Control and Artist Transport. This is soooooo much better! I've also owned a Slate MTi, and I really liked the Batch Commander. But with S3, Dock and the iOS app I don't look back.

Last edited by ha2dorff; 05-25-2016 at 06:45 PM.
Old 05-25-2016, 06:39 PM

Default Re: The Dock is now shipping!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Young View Post
If you're able to, would you mind showing a closeup picture of how the iPad connects to the dock? Thanks!

I don't know if this zoomed photo will help, but the iPad is just placed there. Can't be easier:)
Old 05-25-2016, 07:42 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ha2dorff View Post
I guess the quality is matching the S3. Same fader, buttons and touch buttons. The surface is not exactly like the S3. S3 have a rubber feeling, and the Dock is more solid plastic. But understand me right: it's not "cheap". For me this is not a problem at all, and it visually looks identical.
In addition to music production I do a lot of dubbing for TV. Every automation functions is right there. Select tracks on the iPad, press "Do to sel"(ected) and press one of the automation types. Or press an automation type and then a track on the iPad. Fast and easy!
I've owned and used for a while 3 Artist Mix, Artist Control and Artist Transport. This is soooooo much better! I've also owned a Slate MTi, and I really liked the Batch Commander. But with S3, Dock and the iOS app I don't look back.
Glad to hear you are enjoying your Dock! It's pretty gratifying to see posts like this and for customers to finally get units. :)

I wanted to check that you have the latest appset (XML) installed though as it has important mappings for Dock buttons and better soft keys assignments. Looking at the small soft keys in the pic it looks like you don't have that. See the "DAW Setup" section here for installing the current XML: http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/faq/Dock-Support

Let me know. Thanks!
Berkeley, CA
Old 05-26-2016, 02:16 AM

Default The Dock is now shipping!

Thanks, Kyle.

Yes, I think you're right.
Can you confirm that it's right now by looking at at small soft keys? The other picture shows user page 1 (page 147) that I know have changed. Thanks :)
Old 05-26-2016, 10:00 AM
Avid

Quote:
Thanks, Kyle.

Yes, I think you're right.
Can you confirm that it's right now by looking at at small soft keys? The other picture shows user page 1 (page 147) that I know have changed. Thanks :)
Yep, that looks correct now!
Berkeley, CA
Old 05-26-2016, 04:06 PM

I found stock close to where I live, I shall pick one up tomorrow. fingers cross
still would like to know what feature on the avid app works with Cubase? any info?
Old 05-26-2016, 09:24 PM

Quote:

Thank you for taking the time to post this. It's very helpful to me. Your comparison with the Artist series is particularly useful since I have 2 Mix, 1 Control and 1 Transport right now.

Like you I use the automation features a lot. About the only other thing I'm researching is if there are any Artist Control or Transport features I'd lose by going to the Pro Tools Dock. I haven't found any yet. I'll probably get the Air 2 first, since I have other uses for that, and play with the Control App and then move out from there.

Thank you again!

Andy
Old 05-27-2016, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alk3997 View Post
....About the only other thing I'm researching is if there are any Artist Control or Transport features I'd lose by going to the Pro Tools Dock.

Andy

Artist Control: I can't see anything you will miss. You just get a far better screen (eh... that you have to pay in addition if you not own an iPad...)
Transport: on the Artist Transport You're used to buttons that you can reach right over the wheel. On the Dock you have buttons to the right of the wheel, and horizontal touch strip right under. So anyway you have to get used to the change.

Let me know if there's anything I can do to help.
Old 05-27-2016, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Artist Control: I can't see anything you will miss. You just get a far better screen (eh... that you have to pay in addition if you not own an iPad...)
Transport: on the Artist Transport You're used to buttons that you can reach right over the wheel. On the Dock you have buttons to the right of the wheel, and horizontal touch strip right under. So anyway you have to get used to the change.

Let me know if there's anything I can do to help.
You will lose the dual jog/shuttle wheel and just have a single wheel instead. You will also lose 3 of the 4 faders on the Control. I think in pretty much every other area, it will be a gain.
Old 05-27-2016, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-S-Q View Post
You will lose the dual jog/shuttle wheel and just have a single wheel instead. You will also lose 3 of the 4 faders on the Control. I think in pretty much every other area, it will be a gain.
One thing I always do with Artist Control is set the right-most fader to the attentioned channel. The one to the left of that is set to my master fader. The other two I end up not using so much since it's a reach and I have 16 faders on the two Mix units.

So, I think at most, because of the way I use the Artist components, I'll lose the dedicated master fader. That's very minor. I also seem to forget that there is a second wheel on the Transport at times :)

Thank you for the help. Your certainly helping to push me towards going this route.

Andy