Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 02-17-2017, 02:13 PM

Default RIP George Steele

I know we usually use the RIP's for musicians and such but this is one fellow who I grew up watching and had to pass this along.

For those who grew up in the 60's and 70's and watched any wrestling at all in the US you'll remember George 'The Animal' Steele; he passed away on Thursday after a long bout of Crohn's disease at age 79. One of his gimmicks was eating the padding on turnbuckles; finishing move was the flying hammerlock where he lifted another wrestler off the mat using a hammerlock behind the other wrestler's back.

Renowned for his hairy back and that wasn't a gimmick. Family used to vacation in Wildwood NJ for two weeks in the summer. They had a convention center there that amongst other things hosted roller derby and WWWF wrestling. He'd be walking down the boardwalk with other wrestlers the afternoon before the matches without a shirt on and his back was a hairy as a shag carpet. Nice guy outside the ring.

QAPLA!
Old 02-17-2017, 03:17 PM

Default Re: RIP George Steele

I heard that news today, but don't remember him. Back in the 60's and 70's pro wrestling was more of a regional thing. When I lived in Louisiana in the late 70's I believe our televised wrestling came out of Atlanta, where I liked guys like Ernie "The Big Cat" Ladd, and Mr. Wrestling #2. I don't remember when the national thing started up, probably late 80's - early 90's.

Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjslakeridge View Post
I heard that news today, but don't remember him. Back in the 60's and 70's pro wrestling was more of a regional thing. When I lived in Louisiana in the late 70's I believe our televised wrestling came out of Atlanta, where I liked guys like Ernie "The Big Cat" Ladd, and Mr. Wrestling #2. I don't remember when the national thing started up, probably late 80's - early 90's.
I remember Big Cat quite well - he toured through the WWWF territory for a while. And that was the thing - territories - WWWF had theirs, Mid-South had theirs, NWA theirs etc. Atlanta was originally GCW then NWA for a while then WCW - a Crockett promotion. The national thing didn't start until Vince McMahon sr. started buying up territories which got him into a LOT of trouble.

For those wondering WWWF was World Wide Wrestling Federation which dropped the 'Wide" to become WWF which became WWE because of a lawsuit bought by the World Wildlife Federation hence becoming World Wrestling Entertainment.

QAPLA!
Old 02-17-2017, 08:35 PM

George was in the WWF through much of the 80's as well. I remember him well from that time. He was there during the midst of Hulkamania!! ;-) I just remembered he had this crush on Randy Savages woman, Miss Elizabeth and would be all creepy about it.

To be honest, I had not thought about him in many years.I wish his family well.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10