Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 09-07-2005, 12:41 PM

Default ? on hard drive configuration

I am currently running a WD 80g for my system drive, and a WD 200gig for my sessions and sound banks. would I see any benefit by partitioning the 200g drive in half and using one for sessions and the other for sound banks? and also...just reconfirming that I am supposed to have the audio files for each session in the session folder right?

thanks
Jeff

PT6.9
amd 64 3400
k8v se dlx
1gig micron
mbox
Old 09-07-2005, 02:46 PM

Default Re: ? on hard drive configuration

Just for clarity, sound banks as in for a soft synth and the WD drives are IDE Parallel ATA 100 hard drives, correct ...
I personally have my sound banks on my native/system drive, I am not sure if there is a right or wrong place to put those, but to me it would seem to be quicker to have them on the drive that contains the rest of the instrument's programing ... but, that could be is just me.
The only real way to get an improvement in hard disc preformance would be to get better performing hard drives ... SATA drives and WD's Raptor SATA drives inparticular seems to be the big thing. You could still use your 200 Gb WD as Storage but SATA drives are much quicker ... 150mbps, where as most IDE are 100mbps and SATAs have faster seek times as well. I use SATAs as both my native/system and audio drives (right now I am using two Seagate 80 Gb Barracudas and two 80 Gb WD's in mobile trays as storage)
I would also like to suggest putting all your drives in moblile racks. It makes it much easier to replace if something goes wrong. The trays make storage more conveinent ... You can have a larger main back-up of your system in one place. They make transportation a bit easier, as well and I could go on, but won't ... but that's my $0.02 and I hope it helps ...
Old 09-07-2005, 07:12 PM

Default Re: ? on hard drive configuration

Yeah Thanks...not that I'm having problems with the current set...just always looking to make things better...
jeff