Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2014, 10:06 AM

Default Constant Problems with Pro Tools 10 (thought it's likely just me)

Hi everyone,

I have Pro Tools 10, and I currently use it with a Samson USB microphone. I'm pretty new to Pro Tools and am just learning as I go... but I have constant problems, and my current one is driving me crazy.

For some reason Pro Tools wants to use my Samson mic as an output and not an input - when the mic is connected, it won't record. When I try to use a different mic, it will record but there is no playback (even when "Samson Mic" is not the output).

Since I'm new to the program and don't really know the ins an outs, maybe it's something simple... any tips would be greatly appreciated. The problems in the hardware set-up are constant ever-changing, so I'd really like to solve them and get back to recording!
Old 01-26-2014, 10:10 AM

Question Re: Constant Problems with Pro Tools 10 (thought it's likely just me)

Setup-->Playback Engine…

What is your selected device in this window? It's the first pop-up menu underneath the window title.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:39 AM

Default Re: Constant Problems with Pro Tools 10 (thought it's likely just me)

I'm not sure if my version has the pop-up you're talking about, but under Playback Engine, it says ASIO4ALL v2.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG99 View Post
I'm not sure if my version has the pop-up you're talking about, but under Playback Engine, it says ASIO4ALL v2.
Hi,

Sorry not a PC man! But try hardware setup and select what devices to yes for inputs and outputs etc. Samson mic for input and computer sound card for output etc.

Then in the I/O setup page make sure you have inputs assigned to the mic and outputs assigned to the computer etc. then you can select the correct inputs and outputs on your tracks. That should work.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:04 AM

I am sure I've read somewhere that you cannot have separate interfaces for I/O directly within Pro Tools. If you want to use the Mic for input and something else for output, try setting up an aggregate I/O. Then select that from hardware set-up.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:47 AM

Right, maybe I explained incorrectly.

It's not that I want to have two mics in use - I only want the Samson. But It says my outputs are not connected and/or it tries to make the mic itself the output, and not the input. It switched between either not letting me record at all, or not letting me playback at all. I'm not sure why, as it's worked before.
Old 01-26-2014, 12:14 PM

Whatever you select as playback engine has to have both inputs and outputs. You cannot have the Samson as input and something else as output. It's all or nothing.

The work around is aggregate I/O where you set-up the Samson as input and whatever audio output you want to use. Then select the Aggregate device as the playback engine.
Old 01-26-2014, 01:35 PM

I don't completely understand all of this, but I don't think I can do that - right now, it's saying my default output is "Not Connected", where it would usually have one.

I guess I should just find someone to troubleshoot this for me, it's a bit over my head. Thanks!
Old 01-26-2014, 04:11 PM

He's on Windows - no Aggregate available.

He may be able to use ASIO4All and set the Samson as Input and something else as Output and set ASIO4ALL as the engine in Pro Tools. Not sure as I don't use ASIO4All. There is no way AFAIK the Samson USB mic is going to play back audio.

Best suggestion for Pro Tools use is a dedicated sound card and a regular mic. Otherwise, try Reaper.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 02-06-2014, 09:34 AM

Thanks, I'll try that.

(And I'm female, by the way. )