Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2024, 05:12 PM

Default Factory Reset S6 Modules other than the Master

Does anybody know if there’s a way to factory reset individual S6 modules to their factory firmware?

I have a replacement automation module meant to work with a master module running 19.12.1.23. The automation module is running matching firmware, but is not showing any softkey icons or information on the fader attention fader. It does show the utility menu when I put it in utility mode, so I know the LCD is working, and utility mode does not reveal any other issues. I can also see the soft keys working if I pull up the automation softkey window on the master module. In fact pretty much everything works, there’s just no visual feedback on the module. Hoping to factory reset and start from scratch to see if I get the same results. Thanks!
Old 04-16-2024, 09:57 PM
Avid

Default Re: Factory Reset S6 Modules other than the Master

Greetings,

The modules will always prompt for the firmware that is installed on the Master Touch Module. You can check the version of each module simply by accessing Settings > Surface - and then touching the visual icon representation of each individual module.

If it's simply a matter of missing Soft Keys, then that could be an issue unrelated to firmware - which can be sorted by loading the appropriate appset XML.

best,

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 04-17-2024, 03:13 PM

Hey Jeff, thanks for the response. I did try factory defaulting the soft key appset as well as importing a different .xml file to no avail. However, I have uncovered some new (to me) information listed in this compatibility chart for S6 modules:

https://avidtech.my.salesforce-sites...-Compatibility

Apparently not all automation modules are created equal, and the replacement module was a more modern part number that is incompatible with the older 19.12 MTM software. So even though the new automation module installs the proper 19.12 firmware when assigned, it is actually not compatible with that version and therefore will never work properly. It might be worth programming some protections against this down the line. Maybe a prompt that indicates the MTM incompatibility with the new hardware when it’s assigned to the surface? Anyway, hope this saves others some hassle in the future.
Old 04-18-2024, 08:31 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbroer View Post
Hey Jeff, thanks for the response. I did try factory defaulting the soft key appset as well as importing a different .xml file to no avail. However, I have uncovered some new (to me) information listed in this compatibility chart for S6 modules:

https://avidtech.my.salesforce-sites...-Compatibility

Apparently not all automation modules are created equal, and the replacement module was a more modern part number that is incompatible with the older 19.12 MTM software. So even though the new automation module installs the proper 19.12 firmware when assigned, it is actually not compatible with that version and therefore will never work properly. It might be worth programming some protections against this down the line. Maybe a prompt that indicates the MTM incompatibility with the new hardware when it’s assigned to the surface? Anyway, hope this saves others some hassle in the future.
Sorry about this. It would be hard to program in a future change that we don't know about into older software Are you able to update?
Old 04-22-2024, 01:49 PM

Hi Jeff. I have a similar problem with a process module on my S6. It lights up with an amber light when the console is booted but I cannot add it (or the corresponding knob module) in surface config. In utility mode the process module says it has the same firmware as the rest of the console (2023.11.0.21) but the IP address is weird (169.254.4.223). I swapped it with the other process module in my system to confirm it wasn’t a bad Ethernet switch or Ethernet cable and confirmed the fault is with the module. Is there any way to do a hard reset within the module itself?

Bruce
Modular Music Inc.
Old 04-22-2024, 01:53 PM
Avid

Greetings,

That sounds like the Process Module is simply not getting an IP address from the MTM. If every other module in the surface is fine - you should trace the ethernet cable (swap it if necessary).

From Settings > Surface - you can touch each module and identify the endpoint. If you are using the MTM as the DHCP server, all modules would be in a 192.168... range.

best,

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 04-22-2024, 02:12 PM
Avid

As Jeff says its not getting an IP address. Make sure to power cycle the module after connecting the ethernet cable.
Old 04-22-2024, 02:21 PM

Thanks for the reply guys. As I said I’d swapped the module with the one that was integrated into my system so I could be sure that the ethernet cable wasn’t the issue. It wasn’t. The problem migrated with the suspect module. Also I can’t touch the module in surface to identify the endpoint because the module doesn’t show up on the Surface page. All other modules light up when I do a new config. Not that one so I can’t even press next as the config is waiting for me to press one of the lit buttons. It certainly does seem that it’s not getting an IP address but it seems stuck and not listening to the MTM. Using the MTM as the DHCP server. I’ve fully power cycled many many times including after changing the ethernet cable. Not just a shutdown but turning off the power supplying the S6. All to no avail.
Old 04-22-2024, 02:22 PM

Forgot to mention that I’ve tried “unclaiming” the module before doing a Surface Config. Didn’t work.
Old 04-22-2024, 02:26 PM
Avid

What's the history of these extra modules? Even if the modules are not claimed or added to the surface config - the (diagnostics) menu will still show the appropriate IP addresses.

Diagnostics Mode = (Clear + Function) on channel 1. If the device has a self assigned IP it is not getting an IP address from the DHCP server.

Jeff
MTRX FAQ