Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2019, 04:41 AM

Default Re: ProTools price adjustments from July 1st.

a lot of Vanilla users where happy with 99,- and many Ultimate users complained that 399,- was too much (no new features, not enough updates etc...)

instead of lowering Ultimate to a more realistic price Avid raised Vanilla to 199,- to reduce the gap.
Old 06-20-2019, 04:43 AM

I need a sanity check. The verbiage scares me a bit and just want to make sure i am selecting the proper option.

I have two perpetual products. I need to buy renewals in advance to buy some time to explore options.

I logged into my account, clicked to view my products and found my two perpetual offerings. I turned auto-renewal off and can now see the drop down selection box appeared with three options. The title section right above the selection drop down box says"Move to a Subscription anytime, or Renew your plan:"

Then top option says simply:
"Pro Tools Update & Support Plan renewal"<line break>"$99 1-year Software Updates and Support Plan Renewal".
Is this the one I want? That seems easy enough, but want to be sure that is the correct option to extend my CURRENT plan by another year. I do not want to accidentaly give up my perpetual licenses.

Thanks - PB
Old 06-20-2019, 04:44 AM

Default Re: Perpetual Reinstatement Programs after July 1st

What if a "Subscriber" wants to go BACK to a "Perpetual" License when their Subscription ends?

Opened a CASE on this very question. Response as follows...

"It is best for you to wait until your subscription expires and then buy a NEW Perpetual License for $599.".

ROFLMAO!

www.LightWingStudios.com

Musical Instrument Protection Accessories...Made In America.

Dell Precision T7910, Dual Processors (total 20 Cores), 128GB RAM, 4 @ 2TB SSDs, 1 @ 4TB HDs, Nvidia 2GB Dual Monitor Card, Dual LG 48" TVs used as Monitors, Arturia 88 Midi Controller, Black Lion USB Audio Interface, Mackie HR-828 Monitors, Katana Head, Fishman Triple Play, Win 10 Pro, PT 2023.3 Studio, only the Plugins I NEED, WAY TOO MANY Guitars...and an AMAZING wife!

AxeShield HD, AmpShield HD, KeyShield HD, AxeSak, AxeGlove, AxeCap & PedalShield

Last edited by LightWing; 06-20-2019 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Added Avid Case Response
Old 06-20-2019, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotsBiker View Post
I need a sanity check. The verbiage scares me a bit and just want to make sure i am selecting the proper option.

I have two perpetual products. I need to buy renewals in advance to buy some time to explore options.

I logged into my account, clicked to view my products and found my two perpetual offerings. I turned auto-renewal off and can now see the drop down selection box appeared with three options. The title section right above the selection drop down box says"Move to a Subscription anytime, or Renew your plan:"

Then top option says simply:
"Pro Tools Update & Support Plan renewal"<line break>"$99 1-year Software Updates and Support Plan Renewal".
Is this the one I want? That seems easy enough, but want to be sure that is the correct option to extend my CURRENT plan by another year. I do not want to accidentaly give up my perpetual licenses.

Thanks - PB
You can also just go to Sweetwater and buy the package that applies to you
and you get your codes from Sweetwater in a few minutes.
The license extensions are all on SW's website and they give instructions how to apply the codes.
Old 06-20-2019, 06:24 AM

This a all a bit weird. It is like Avid is saying software development is hard and expensive and you guys need to help us out. No, we are your customers or potential customers, you have to make something that we want and then we will buy it. Avid needs to change their culture. I think it would be best if they decided to go back to the old model where they had to come up with a great new version or update because their arse was on the line. That way they could give themselves a good kick. I do not mean this in a bad way.

I don't have any problems paying for Pro Tools but I want to know what I am getting.

The new subscription model won't work unless the product is something that lots of people want.

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.12 Win 10 Pro 22H2 Gigabyte GA-Z270 i7-7700K 32GB Ram UAD Apollo 8
Old 06-20-2019, 06:37 AM

Default Re: Perpetual Reinstatement Programs after July 1st

The announcement is as clear as a muddy water. Please Avid, be more transparent.

Anyway, from the price list the reinstatement price is 200 to subscription, does that mean you lose your perpetual license?!??!

Last edited by Emi; 06-20-2019 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 06-20-2019, 08:25 AM

Farewell Avid...

If you are going bankrupt, then its your own fault...

On every forum, GS, PT Experts and co... Everyone don´t want the subscription model... Its the cancer of the software industry...someone said.
Then you double the price of the PT Standard anual Plan. Your plan is to force them into subscription...

Its really depressing to be a Avid customer these days... First the long wait for the 2019 Update (which introduces "Ingame Microtransactions" for additional tracks)... No additional voices for HDX as promised... What a suprise...

And now this... Avid says subscription is the future and this is, what the users want.... This is a lie... Everybody say the opposite... You will destroy your company... cause all the home and project studios will think twice to stay with avid, when other great Daws are available and offer a fair price model...Maybe the big studios stay with ultimate, but you will lose your Protools Standard userbase...
Instead of promoting your lies, that subscription is the prefered model by users, listen to your customers...cause without them, you are nothing....
Old 06-20-2019, 08:40 AM

I am so sorry I ever got on the Protools bandwagon.
RME, Daking, Heritage, ISA, Sytek

Old 06-20-2019, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon2065 View Post
This a all a bit weird. It is like Avid is saying software development is hard and expensive and you guys need to help us out. No, we are your customers or potential customers, you have to make something that we want and then we will buy it. Avid needs to change their culture. I think it would be best if they decided to go back to the old model where they had to come up with a great new version or update because their arse was on the line. That way they could give themselves a good kick. I do not mean this in a bad way.

I don't have any problems paying for Pro Tools but I want to know what I am getting.

The new subscription model won't work unless the product is something that lots of people want.
That's the whole point there, for me anyway. it,s not paying 101% more. It's getting less and less for your money everytime they change their policies. PT 12 arrived with no new features(can you believe that!!) with the promise of regular new updates. It lasted a while and then the new versions were more separate in time. Then PT 2018, new way to name with the .X being the month. Again, the promise that regular updates will come. It lasted a while and now updates are every 6 months.

You can be sure that once they have enough people on subscriptions the monthly price will raise with less features and people will be screwed because they don't have any choice but to continue to pay if they want to use the software or reopen older projects.

Blink
Old 06-20-2019, 09:00 AM

I've been with Pro Tools since V5. That's says something in itself.

However, I've been losing my patience with Avid, even before the latest pricing debacle. V5 was rock solid as were the versions thereafter.

However, from maybe 9 or 10 onwards it became a daily crash fest. Nothing really improved until possibly the most recent verison 2019.5 which seems a move towards the stability of Digidesign of old.

Crashing is the worst. Much of the code is clearly ancient and core parts a creaking at the seams such as Elastic Audio. Avid lost the mantra of stability that Digesign flew for so long.

Anyhow, price wise it makes no sense any more. $99 a year felt like too much but $199 is absurd

I might see what happens with another hard earned $99 before the end or I might just put it towards Logic Pro X

Stephen

https://www.waves.com/r/djgsi6