Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 02-15-2016, 06:31 AM

Default Interfacing Issue with Focusrite Scarlett 18i8

So I have an issue interfacing my Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 with Pro Tools (version 11.3.1). Everything technically 'works' until I hook up a guitar into a audio track and boost the gain, it seems to be once the gain is raised high enough there is an electrical-sounding loop noise which appears.

All inputs on the interface produce the same result and, on hitting record, Pro Tools crashes. I have ASIO4ALL installed as a separate playback option and that records fine, so it appears there's some issue in communication between Pro Tools and the Scarlett.

I contacted Focusrite earlier, as I thought it was an interface issue, however after running through a bunch of troubleshooting issues (which I'll list further down) it appears that PT is the problem. I had an error message appear when I was using it with Reason - "the audio driver stopped working" - however that disappeared after connecting via a different USB port.

Troubleshooting Steps Taken:
Checked all interface inputs to discover issue ever present
Listened through both monitors and headphones to find issue ever present
Updated Driver Software
Checked connections between interface and monitors to be balanced XLR-1/4 inch jack.
Disabled Focusrite Driver in Playback/Recording Devices
Connected Interface via a different USB port

I can't contact Avid as my ASC has apparently expired, so I'm turning to your collective wisdom for help
Old 02-18-2016, 09:18 AM

Default Re: Interfacing Issue with Focusrite Scarlett 18i8

Solved!

So I managed to fix the issue. It turns out it was an audio driver issue after all, only one masquerading as a Pro Tools error.

I was running Scarlett MixControl version 1.8 (which is the latest version according to the Focusrite site). I actually tried re-installing this same download 3 times only to end up with 3 different results - one of them being the situation detailed above, the other being crashes when using the video engine and the last being where Pro Tools simply refused to open a session without crashing.

After calling up Focusrite again, they directed me to a beta release of a newer version for the 18i8 (specifically for Windows 10). If you follow this link and scroll down until you find version 1.9b4, install that and hopefully your issues will be no more - it worked for me.

Hope this helps anyone suffering the same headaches as I
Old 06-04-2019, 08:46 PM

Default Re: Interfacing Issue with Focusrite Scarlett 18i8

I could just reach through the interwebs and kiss you! (or maybe shout you a beer haha)
I had tried for donkey's years to get my Focusrite Scarlett 18i6 to work properly in Pro Tools 12. Nothing I did worked. I spent countless hours, uninstalling, reinstalling, and was about to spend money on another interface when I found your post at the last minute.
I installed the latest Beta driver, and whammo, everything worked properly.
It's a Christmas miracle!
If only this information was more available on the Focusrite website.
Thank you for taking the time to chat to Focusrite, and for taking the time to post it in here, you're a legend!